Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
billysmom said:

Shudde-Custom.jpg
[/CENTER]

Looks as if it's never been out of the box. :D No damage of any sort! I'll have to meditate on what crease/brim treatment it will get.

"Howdy, Ma'am". (tips hat to the lady) "That's a real nice brim on your noggin."

:D

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Wolfen said:
And thats why this forum is awesome. Thank you very much for clearing that up for me. :cool:

You got it, man. By the way, I believe "Medalist" referred to a time when (at World's Fairs and the like) hat companies would receive medals in prestigious quality competitions, similar to certain wines and Hohner harmonicas, etc. That's why you see actual medals depicted in some old company logos. It was very important to Stetson in the late thirties to do some serious marketing in order to compete with the Borsalino brand. Those Italian hats were popular here but that country's axis involvement in Europe was becoming decidedly unpopular. Gave Stetson an angle; 'Our hats are good enough to win medals and you're patriotic if you wear an Eagle...'.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Those Italian hats were popular here but that country's axis involvement in Europe was becoming decidedly unpopular. Gave Stetson an angle; 'Our hats are good enough to win medals and you're patriotic if you wear an Eagle...'.

...so keep it under your Stetson! ;)

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Subtle 1942 Stetson Eagle ad

HarpPlayerGene said:
You got it, man. By the way, I believe "Medalist" referred to a time when (at World's Fairs and the like) hat companies would receive medals in prestigious quality competitions, similar to certain wines and Hohner harmonicas, etc. That's why you see actual medals depicted in some old company logos. It was very important to Stetson in the late thirties to do some serious marketing in order to compete with the Borsalino brand. Those Italian hats were popular here but that country's axis involvement in Europe was becoming decidedly unpopular. Gave Stetson an angle; 'Our hats are good enough to win medals and you're patriotic if you wear an Eagle...'.
4160114679_c36e83ab4e_o.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Brown Mallory Derby - Otter?

Found this at an antique store today - looks to be very old and made of Otter. Also interesting: liner tip says 'Designed and Made for Frank E. Hunt, Mt. Vernon, Wash.' (I bought it just a few miles from Mt. Vernon).

MallorySide.jpg

MallorySweat.jpg

MalloryLinerTip.jpg

MalloryTags.jpg

MalloryBow.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Found this at an antique store today - looks to be very old and made of Otter. Also interesting: liner tip says 'Designed and Made for Frank E. Hunt, Mt. Vernon, Wash.' (I bought it just a few miles from Mt. Vernon).

MallorySide.jpg

Great hat. Must have been for a hot-head. Call in the Witchdoctor for head resizing. Up there with the Seal Velour for water resistance and Political Incorrectness.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
I otter point out that Frank E. Hunt is probably the name
of the store that sold it, not the guy who wore it. Also of
course it doesn't say pure or clear otter, so who knows...
Nice and interesting hat.

Would very much like to see a picture of the perforation pattern on the top.

Mr. Paladin

Scott, that is a very interesting derby specimen. Both the top and side vents and the otter felt are unusual. Great stamping for the branding on the sweat; looks like prime leather. Nice acquisition!

rlk, you have scored several nice ones lately as well!

Mr. Paladin

They Have Arrived!

Both my Shady Oak and Royal Scot arrived by USPS yesterday. Both were in fine shape with no crush creases or shipping damage! Just a single shot of the Shady Oak now; I'll post the full range of shots in the Shady Oak thread later today.
ShadyOakRoyalScot001.jpg

Here is the Royal Scot:
ShadyOakRoyalScot014.jpg

ShadyOakRoyalScot015.jpg

ShadyOakRoyalScot016.jpg

ShadyOakRoyalScot017.jpg

ShadyOakRoyalScot018.jpg

Both are in fine condition. There are no tags or stickers under the sweat of the Royal Scot. Both have been lightly steamed and brushed, and I reshaped the awful cattleman's crease in the Shady Oak to an acceptable cattleman's crease; I don't think a Shady Oak can survive in Texas without a cattleman's crease!

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Nice haul!

Mr. P. I am sooooo jealous. You have made a couple of wonderful purchases there and must be sporting pretty much the best dressed noggin in town :
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

btw, how do you make that cattleman's crease???

Woody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe