Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
billyspew said:
3427068457_59ed9c9c34_m.jpg

Hey Billy, those are great quality. Just got one in brown (posted above). For me, a Homburg just doesn't look the way I like until I steam in a downward swoop to the front brim. Takes some doing since the felt is stiffened and the edge is curled and bound - but with a little determination it will cooperate.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
French Victor(n)? 3" Brim

3430256743_1712721bbd.jpg
3431068284_e61b566980.jpg

3431068482_f6a25f5b67.jpg
3431068642_07c714f1d8.jpg

This was from the same seller as the Algerian Stetson. Very soft crown 3" bound brim. I can't decide on how to shape the crown. Telescope works OK.
Wide sweatband with taped seam. Cavanagh style feathered bow. Victor(n?) of Valence, France.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Stetson St. Regis Homburg arrived.

Any idea on date of hat based on style of size tag?

Gene -- Based on the liner, I'd say your St. Regis is mid-50's.

I have tried to crack the size tag code, believe me. ;) But there is lots of variation in this regard, so the style of the size tag is not really definitive in and of itself. It just needs to be factored in with other clues. I will say that the particular style of size tag in your homburg is consistent with tags that appeared in Stetson lids in the late 40's -- but the liner speaks the loudest on this one.

Cheers,
JtL

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
JTL, Thanks you but it doesn't hold a candle to that green Borsalino. Mr. P, Yes a fine hat indeed. The camp draft is just like a pair of kid skin gloves, just a few times on and it conforms effortlessly to your head. The initial digit is hovering over the order button for a Glen CD or Fed IV.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
"In your Easter Bonnet, with all the frills upon it..."

This is a pic of one of my vintage 1940s flowered tilt hats. I wore it last night to our Good Friday services, though not when on stage singing with my fellow choir members.

The best part of yesterday (aside from participating in the worship services- and what the TRUE meaning of Easter is about) was that when I got home last night the UPS box with my vintage 1940s eyeglasses was waiting for me at the doorstep- that you see wearing here!! These are by American Optical. I had these made with progressive lenses for my bifocal. My modern eyeglasses have the line bifocal, so I never wore them for any other pics I've been posting.

I put my hair up quickly in faux rolls with combs, it looks better with this type of hat for me right now, until my hair grows longer and I can learn to do pincurls.

The clip earrings and matching necklace are also vintage.
361109762.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the info, Jimmy and for the compliments Mr. Paladin and ScottF.

rlk, those are real nice quality photos of very interesting hats. Thanks for sharing the latest.

Carey, you look great. Perfect Easter hat.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
3430256743_1712721bbd.jpg

This was from the same seller as the Algerian Stetson. Very soft crown 3" bound brim. I can't decide on how to shape the crown. Telescope works OK.
Wide sweatband with taped seam. Cavanagh style feathered bow. Victor(n?) of Valence, France.

Beautiful hat - with that wide brim, I like the way you have it. You have a lot of sharp-looking dark hats, but this is my favorite so far.

Scott <=== still sporting a $40 black Bailey.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Amish hard hat

I'm not sure whether this one is from wheat or oat straw but it feels like it could divert bullets - or iron clad hooves or falling rafters or - well, like any hard hat should.

hpim07561.jpg

hpim07621.jpg

hpim07641.jpg

hpim07631.jpg

Brought to you by the folks who breed working Belgians in black, brown and white - with or without socks*.

*black with 4 white socks costs extra :D.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

I have a new Stetson Whippet - in a not so often seen colour, black.

DSC_0407-2.jpg

DSC_0405-1.jpg

DSC_0409-1.jpg

There is a most appealing detail in this hat: the former owner's hat was a religious person, as is evident from the embossed inscription in the sweatband:

DSC_0410-1.jpg

Of course black felt makes sense for such a person. It immediately reminded me of the priest character Pat O'Brien interpreted in Angels with Dirty Faces.

Cagney20James20Angels20With20Dirty2.jpg

These kind of history bits of past times make me love vintage hats! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld