Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GWD

One Too Many
billyspew said:
rlk, with all due respect, don't wear that. Every other hat I've seen - great, but not that!

I think that comment deserves an explanation. I think for a beret it looks just fine!

billyspew

One Too Many
GWD said:
I think that comment deserves an explanation. I think for a beret it looks just fine!

As I hinted at, unlike everything else I've seen him in, just doesn't suit him. Saw Gene in his and wasn't "too" bad, but that just doesn't look right.

Admittedly, not a beret fan (although one of my mates wears one and it suits him) but I was just being honest, sorry.

GWD

One Too Many
Stetson Factory Store Milan

I picked this up on ebay last week just out of curiosity, I haven't seen a Straw come out of the factory store. This is Dated August 2, 1956. I gave it a bath and cleaned the pug then gave it a porkpie crease.

Before
web.jpg

web.jpg

After

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

GWD

One Too Many
bolthead said:
Awesome job on that crease dude. If I can ask, how'd you get the straw so crisp and clean?

I tried it with a beater milan awhile back with horrible results. :eusa_doh:

It's kinda hard to put into words, I used my jiffy steamer and got the straw pretty moist then I used the bottom of a Spray Starch can as a iron on the underside of the hat. Does that make any sense?

Bingles

A-List Customer
GWD said:
It's kinda hard to put into words, I used my jiffy steamer and got the straw pretty moist then I used the bottom of a Spray Starch can as a iron on the underside of the hat. Does that make any sense?

Because of BoltHead and GWD, I am no obsessed with pork pies. I just bought a black stingy brimmed milan from Biltmore, and will be getting it in the natural color soon!

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No worries Bingles.....

Bingles said:
Because of BoltHead and GWD, I am no obsessed with pork pies. I just bought a black stingy brimmed milan from Biltmore, and will be getting it in the natural color soon!
It's a great obsession, just ask Feraud. ;)

By the way, you look great in them.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Every once in awhile the local thrift shop is very good to me. Today I found this unworn Outback hat for six bucks. I'd never given much thought to Aussie style hats before, but I really like this one. Thick, soft felt that's packable, yet holds its shape well. A very comfortable hat, indeed.

Now I've got to get some outdoorsy kit to go with it...

outback1.jpg

outback2.jpg

outback3.jpg

outback4.jpg

New to me Stetson Stratoliner

I got this last night from fellow Lounger along with a nice Stratoliner box. I also have a pin to go on it as well as a Stetson ad for the Stratoliner out of the bay. See more photos in the Stratoliner Society thread...
strathead1.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Ancien Stetson Standard Quality

3426524865_42199b4c79_o.jpg

3427094974_9ec73e3195.jpg
3427094616_9b654d89ce.jpg

3426283577_1084a40097.jpg
3426284775_3337e005ac.jpg

3427117054_353ab47e32.jpg
3426285123_bdc005d503.jpg

US made Stetson sold in Algeria. Gray Flannel with a touch of brown. Molds like a Cavanagh felt with no heat or moisture but is coarser in texture. No sign it ever had a liner.
Sweatband has tiny stitches and the "reed" seems to be bendable like a soft wire. Any speculation as to age?

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
I got this last night from fellow Lounger along with a nice Stratoliner box. I also have a pin to go on it as well as a Stetson ad for the Stratoliner out of the bay. See more photos in the Stratoliner Society thread...
strathead1.jpg
Beautiful Strat--love that color!

tortswon

Practically Family
Crosby Porkpie

I just received this hat today from fellow Lounger Ande1964. He purchased it as lot #44 of the Johnnyphi auctions. It did not suit him but it is perfect for me. Here are some pictures snatched from the auction listing. Thanks Ande1964 and Johnnyphi! Best, Sam

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
3426524865_42199b4c79_o.jpg

US made Stetson sold in Algeria. Gray Flannel with a touch of brown. Molds like a Cavanagh felt with no heat or moisture but is coarser in texture. No sign it ever had a liner.
Sweatband has tiny stitches and the "reed" seems to be bendable like a soft wire. Any speculation as to age?

Very cool, rlk. Looks like your lid already has some built-in intrigue. The use of "Standard Quality" would, I think, put your lid in the 30's -- although it does have a reeded sweat, and it's not clear whether the "Standard Quality" designation might have survived the 30's for lids destined for export. I'm also a big fan of the "mottled" felt, if you will -- felt that, like a nice tweed, is actually a blend of a number of colors. Great lid.

Congrats! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
V I'm also a big fan of the "mottled" felt, if you will -- felt that, like a nice tweed, is actually a blend of a number of colors. Great lid.

I thought of your Casual as soon as I saw this one.

twilson66

New in Town
Fawn Campdraft arrived today:

fresh out of the box:
akubracampfawn002.jpg

10 min later with a quick diamond bash:
akubracampfawn005.jpg

akubracampfawn004.jpg

akubracampfawn003.jpg

on head:
akubracampfawn007.jpg

I still need to refine the bash a little but I think its close enuff for now.

overall I'm VERY pleased...the fit is looser than my other 59's (I followed the sizing advice on the Hatsdirect site... a strip of foam tape fixed it right up).

the wind trolley thingy is loose (too long?) I'll figure out how to adjust it or just get rid of it altogether.

the ribbon was wrinkled a little but no big deal.

I've got a silverbelly one that shiped today so I should have it next week and my SunBody is due tomorrow...think I'm fixed for hats for a while.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld