Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

billyspew

One Too Many
Gilgamark said:
Here's the Adam I won on a buy-it-now earlier this week. The lining just reads "Adam," but the sweatband reads "Executive Quality." Is this an Adam Executive?

There should be a paper label under the sweatband indicating the model - which I suspect is a Pacesetter, like my other 2. Executive is the indication of quality of the fur/price point.

It looks great on you as well, congratulations.

Bill

Wandering Fool

New in Town
Trading / Selling Hats Protocol

Yesterday I picked up three hats from an estate. A Knox Superfine Homburg, Steel Grey, 7 1/4 Stamped A.M. &A Mens Store Buffalo.The woman I got that hats from told me this one was 50 years old. The next was a Dobbs Straw Boater 7 3/8 and a Dobbs Fifth Avenue 7 3/8 Black Homburg stamped J.L. Hudson Company Detroit.These two are 44 years old according to the seller.
The problem is, I am a 7 5/8.
All these hats show very little signs of wear and are in their original boxes.
Is there a protocol for trading hats or selling them on this site? Or is e bay the way to go?

I cannot post them from my home, since I am still dial up :(

I can have pics tomorrow.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
My vintage silk plush topper arrived! And it is better than I expected!

n688147062_2149473_2663.jpg

n688147062_2149482_5049881.jpg

n688147062_2149474_4872472.jpg

n688147062_2149475_479258.jpg

n688147062_2149476_6532585.jpg

n688147062_2149477_4230649.jpg

n688147062_2149478_2605205.jpg

n688147062_2149479_5586847.jpg

n688147062_2149481_2530637.jpg

Amazingly, it fits perfectly so I don't have to have it re-conformed! Plus, the condition is very good and there's very little wear to the silk plush. The sweatband is well worn but intact. Just need to brush it with a soft bristle hat briush and polish with a velvet pad.

Cost: a mere £31!

Royal Ascot, here I come! lol

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Well a few weeks ago I asked my husband to clean out the basement. He created a 'toss pile' for me and last night while I was sorting through it (for recycling) I found this hat. It's a little beaten but not bad really. It says Mayser-Milz on the inside.

March001.jpg

I haven't decided what to do with it yet. I can't throw it out but my husband obviously doesn't want it and I can't wear it (my head is too small).

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Charlie Huang said:
My vintage silk plush topper arrived! And it is better than I expected!

n688147062_2149473_2663.jpg

[/IMG]

Amazingly, it fits perfectly so I don't have to have it re-conformed! Plus, the condition is very good and there's very little wear to the silk plush. The sweatband is well worn but intact. Just need to brush it with a soft bristle hat briush and polish with a velvet pad.

Cost: a mere £31!

Royal Ascot, here I come! lol

Congratulations, Charlie - also, you have great taste dressing with those nice hats.

Goose.

Practically Family
HarpPlayerGene...

Man! That is one unique bash job :eusa_doh: What do you call that? ;)
Did the seller represent it as such? That just may be the start of a new trend.

Gilgamark...
COOL Adam. Love that ribbon work.

For me, my Akubra Bogart came in on Saturday. Was thinking I'd be "ok" with this hat. Turns out that I am more than "ok" with it. Very comfortable and the bound edge is something I never thought I would like. But since my Homburg, I've changed my mind.

Anyway, guess this is my last Akubra. Took advantage of the exchange rate and ordered the ones I wanted. Glad this Bogart seems ok in working with me as opposed to the Hampton which is now in a time capsule (box in closet) :(

Have snapped down the front brim more since this pic...

505290453_2CVMN-M-1.jpg

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

Today I received this blue Dobbs. It's a borderline stingy, 2'' - 2 1/4'' brim. It just needed a good brushing, some sweatband cleaning, and a little crease work to be presentable, so it is ready to make its first apparition on my head tomorrow... ;)

I was the colour the main reason I was interested in the hat, blue vintage hats being scarce. It is a very dark navy, almost black, a sober tone which looks like versatile enough. It is difficult to capture in photographs...

DSC_0390.jpg

DSC_0393.jpg

It has the Dobbs denominative embossing on the sweatband, and the seller's seal (not depicted) opposite it: Simon and Landauer, Davenport, Rock Island. No model name. Behind the sweat, there are a couple of stickers, one with block details, the other a price tag - $7.00.

It has no liner, just a small sticker.

DSC_0391-1.jpg

DSC_0391-copia.jpg

Any ideas as to this hat's approximate age?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Torpedo said:
Any ideas as to this hat's approximate age?

Very nice Dobbs, Torpedo!
From what I can see, and the information you've given, it could be anywhere from mid-to-late-30s through the mid-'50s, a two-decade span, though during that time the price point was $7.50 from the factory, which seems odd. So, was this hat earlier than that, with a $7 price? Or was it later, when perhaps the entry-level price of $5 was raised to $7?

Before I hazard a guess, could you show the stickers, and the bow on the sweatband? Any union label?

Thanks,

Brad

kiltie

Practically Family
Whippet

Hard to beat this one for my first ( ;) ) Whippet. Aside from what appears to be a new ribbon treatment, this thing is in really ( REALLYreallyreallyreally... ) good shape. The fit is fantastic with a surprisingly supple sweatband ( how's that for alliteration? ). I'm gonna enjoy this one!

IMG_0120.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0118-1.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0119.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0116.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0114.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0122.jpg

The binding looks a bit funky in the pics, but that is not the case. It's not perfect, but it's close.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Brad Bowers said:
Very nice Dobbs, Torpedo!
From what I can see, and the information you've given, it could be anywhere from mid-to-late-30s through the mid-'50s, a two-decade span, though during that time the price point was $7.50 from the factory, which seems odd. So, was this hat earlier than that, with a $7 price? Or was it later, when perhaps the entry-level price of $5 was raised to $7?

Before I hazard a guess, could you show the stickers, and the bow on the sweatband? Any union label?

Thanks,

Brad

Here you are, sir... and a ribbon bow detail, just in case it gives any additional clue.

DSC_0400.jpg

DSC_0399.jpg

DSC_0396.jpg

DSC_0394.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Torpedo

One Too Many
Brad Bowers said:
Beautiful! Thanks, for posting those. Looks to be mid-'30s or earlier now.

Brad

I would be most interested in learning (when you have the time) what details allow you to reach this conclusion.

Than you very, very much!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Taped sweatband seam puts it earlier in the '30s, as does the sweatband bow style. At some point after the creation of Hat Corporation of America in 1932, they adopted the three-leaf clover bow for all of the Hat Corp. brands, including Knox and Dunlap, and the hats they made for Disney.

The $7.00 price tag also leads me to believe it's earlier, as by 1936 the pricepoint was $7.50, and discounting didn't rule the day like it does today, so I have to go with it being the MSRP, so to speak.

I've also seen a Dobbs from '31-'33 that had a reeded sweat like that, with the taped seam.

So that's why I gave it that guess.

Brad

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Gilgamark said:
Any tips on dating an Adam? I've read on other threads that they were a major brand of the 40's and 50's. When did they go out of business? This hat came in it's original box - sale price: $8.95.

I have a copy of a 1947 ad for an Adam Executive that lists the price as $7.50. The same ad states that "Adam hats are priced at $4.95, $6.00, $7.50 and $8.45." It's not clear to me what quality designation might have been above the Executive -- although that price may have been reserved for more formal lids like a Homburg.

I would think that the $8.95 price for your Adam Executive might place it in the mid to late 50's...(?).

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld