Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
jazzncocktails said:
Ok, I thought you had my attention with the Stetson Panama, but that Milan straw from Miller is fantastic. :eusa_clap And I like that cocoa color. Could you share which one you ordered--the name of the straw/maker--and the brim width? It looks a good bit wider than the Stetson.

This is the Miller Hats Milan teardrop (No. 73) in cocoa. It's a 2 5/8 brim, which is only 1/8 larger than the Stetson Retro (2 1/2), but it looks and feels quite a bit larger. The hat band also has some green tones to it, which I like. Depending on the light, it can look very green.

I originally wanted this in pearl (a very light gray) but they were out. I'm very pleased with the cocoa.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Charlie Huang said:
2645_62640212062_688147062_2078649_4145954_n.jpg

2645_62640232062_688147062_2078652_2330428_n.jpg

2645_62640187062_688147062_2078645_6422204_n.jpg

What a fine variety of classic hats, worn with true style!

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Gilgamark said:
This is the Miller Hats Milan teardrop (No. 73) in cocoa. It's a 2 5/8 brim, which is only 1/8 larger than the Stetson Retro (2 1/2), but it looks and feels quite a bit larger. The hat band also has some green tones to it, which I like. Depending on the light, it can look very green.

I originally wanted this in pearl (a very light gray) but they were out. I'm very pleased with the cocoa.
Thanks...I'm debating between that one and the 179 Danville Hat...looks like essentially the same hat with a different band. I'll go for cocoa or natural...let you know what I come up with. Thanks again for the info and photos.
Steve

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
jazzncocktails said:
Thanks...I'm debating between that one and the 179 Danville Hat...looks like essentially the same hat with a different band. I'll go for cocoa or natural...let you know what I come up with. Thanks again for the info and photos.
Steve

No prob. RBH recommended them to me in an earlier comment. Seem to be well made.

ValEag

One of the Regulars
BobC said:
Two new hats came to our house today, but only one was for me. We each got milan straws from Miller hats.

Mine: a gray teardrop.

IMG_0904.jpg

BobC - would you mind sharing the model of your gray teardrop? I've been considering one of the milan straws from Miller as well, and like the looks of that one.

Thanks in advance!

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ValEag said:
BobC - would you mind sharing the model of your gray teardrop? I've been considering one of the milan straws from Miller as well, and like the looks of that one.

Thanks in advance!

No problem, VE. This one is a Style 073:Mylan Teardrop Hat. It's the first one on the page of mylan teardrops here:

http://www.millerhats.com/straws.htm

As far as I can tell, all of the hats on the page are the same hat with different ribbon treatments.

I also bought a silver gray pleated band for my hat. I think that'll spiff it up quite a bit more than the black band that comes on it.

ValEag

One of the Regulars
Interesting comparison

Originally posted by BobC:
No problem, VE. This one is a Style 073:Mylan Teardrop Hat.

Thanks BobC - Your hat is the same model that Gilgamark ordered then, according to his previous post (#3154).
Originally posted by Gilgamark:
This is the Miller Hats Milan teardrop (No. 73) in cocoa.

It's interesting that his 073 in cocoa looks bigger - or is that just me? Or the angle? My novice hat eyes? Interestingly enough, I was considering these two colors myself, along with the 072 on the same page.

IMG_0904.jpg
MillerTDMilan2.jpg

BobC

ValEag said:
Thanks BobC - Your hat is the same model that Gilgamark ordered then, according to his previous post (#3154).

It's interesting that his 073 in cocoa looks bigger - or is that just me? Or the angle? My novice hat eyes? Interestingly enough, I was considering these two colors myself, along with the 072 on the same page.

They are the same hat, different colors. RBH has the pearl color posted around here somewhere too. I like the pearl, the cocoa and the natural. I may be forced to order at least one more. :D

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
My latest acquisition; The St. Ignatz - St. Regis!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27810273@N04/3371477706/in/set-72157605848697090/
With dents;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27810273@N04/3371477276/in/set-72157605848697090/

The Story (more or less); St. Ignatz was with me a few months back when I got my first Homburg in Philadelphia. That stuck with him, and when he came across this vintage (stamped 1954 under the sweatband) Stetson he dropped me a line. A steal at a price so absurd for a hat in such beautiful shape that I dread telling you it was... $25! After making a quick trip to Art Fawcett for a sizing check, the hat arrived at my door.

I know... why are there no pics of it on my head? Two reasons; First, the sun has been so harsh the few times it's come out lately that I can't get a good shot outside, and indoor shots come out too dark. Second, the front of the brim needs to be steamed down a little. I look like Oliver Hardy with it on right now. lol I will add new pics when I can, probably in the Homburg Nation thread.

Thank You Ignatz!! For the fiftieth time! :D

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Penney's Marathon

Just brought this one home today - still in the original box, which has a price tag of $8.90 and says 'Pecan Tan (Commando)'. It fits perfectly and I'm very happy with it. Seller said she got it from a friend who passed away ten years ago at about age 90. She also has a Stetson Sovereign twenty that belonged to the same man. Can anyone date this hat based on the labels below? I did searches in the forum, but was unable to locate this label. Thanks!

http://oldsplice.homestead.com/Hats/MarathonAjpg.jpg
http://oldsplice.homestead.com/Hats/MarathonL.jpg
http://oldsplice.homestead.com/Hats/MarathonS.jpg

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
ValEag said:

IMG_0904.jpg
MillerTDMilan2.jpg

I think it's two angles:

1. The angle at which we're wearing our hats. I have my tilted back more than Bob does.

2. The angle at which the pics are taken. Mine is taken at a lower angle than Bob's. His is more straight-on.

I'm actually wearing mine as I type. (Breaking it in.) It's a comfortable hat. I think it's going to be a good addition to my summer collection. Something a little different from the Panamas.

Mr. Paladin

Gilgamark, BobC, and Mrs. BobC--Those are some great looking straws. I have to say I really like the cocoa color. You are indeed getting ready for warm weather!

Charlie--You are amassing quite the classic collection! Well done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe