Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Here's something I saw on the 'Bay, it was unusual and interesting so I nade an offer and got it. The Ecuador Hat Co. out of Baltimore had been around since the 30's (or so a quick perusal of the Google suggested) but this particular one seems more 60's early 70's. Like a Tyrol/Western crossover, it has none of the traits of a Western that I dislike. Namely overly stiff, heavy and wide. This thing is light, soft and floppy, with a manageable 3" brim (curled) and 5 1/2" open crown. Long nap finish, silky soft hand. So floppy I had to do head shots or else the brim is totally flat just sitting on a table.

dbf80bd588f0375849b698adfe4edca1.jpg
ed438dab8122b137a628b0f22dfb1306.jpg
ec3b3d1a8985309fbbbb93d4789d1ef7.jpg
fad150247164c38233271a562259b3dd.jpg
f0ab947aedc9aff7ac716dd4f715e81f.jpg

No tags or other marks save for the stub of a size tag still glued to the underside of the leather.
Great hat for those days when you want something a little different.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
it's a crap shoot

I got a beauty of a LO 1/8 strat from Bruno and when I first put it on it felt like it fit ... or maybe that wash what I call "wishful fitting" ... after wearing it for about 1 minute I realized it was crushing my head ... so that one went to Roger ... super nice lid

this one I was skeptical about but I fully trust Rick and sure enough ... like a glove .. and not "wishful"
Glad that one's working for you. Its a beaut.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
it's a crap shoot

I got a beauty of a LO 1/8 strat from Bruno and when I first put it on it felt like it fit ... or maybe that wash what I call "wishful fitting" ... after wearing it for about 1 minute I realized it was crushing my head ... so that one went to Roger ... super nice lid

this one I was skeptical about but I fully trust Rick and sure enough ... like a glove .. and not "wishful"
That Strat fits me like a custom. I have two late 50s early 60s 7 1/8s and I have to pad them both. My 7 1/8 OR is slightly padded too. I have other 7 1/8 s from the era that fit right on.

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Had a little bit of luck at an estate sale today.
Found this in a basket marked "$5 each"

She'll need some time on the block and a little tlc but a pretty nice piece overall

eaa054350821f546adeef1fb89ddd824.jpg

e324cd068ae4a9972d44b9c3b06baa6d.jpg

5b4499bce1c2bf406191c9a0c2784ab4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone while orbiting the earth in a sea foam green 1957 Cadillac

Wow. Nice. That's a find! Just out of curiosity, how does one find out about estate sales and/or target ones that may have hats?

Yeah ... a tannish silverbelly I guess ... Not really sure what silverbelly is anymore I see so many colors billed as it
I agree. Silverbelly used to be a nice silver gray. Nowadays it can be anything from cream to a real light tan. Infact now that I think about it I would say the creame on a good cup of espresso is about the color they now call Silverbelly.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Yeah ... a tannish silverbelly I guess ... Not really sure what silverbelly is anymore I see so many colors billed as it
Hat color names are more about poetry than reflected light. If it sounds poetic and sells well, it's a good name. If you talk to people, who make their living from working with colors, they usually have quite different opinions on color names than hatmakers have.

I believe, Silverbelly originally was a silver grey color with scattered brown/tan/taupe/fawn specs. The name derives from the grey spot on the beaver's belly. It's close to impossible to exclusively extract the grey fur components from the pelt - hence the brownish specs.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Hat color names are more about poetry than reflected light. If it sounds poetic and sells well, it's a good name. If you talk to people, who make their living from working with colors, they usually have quite different opinions on color names than hatmakers have.

I believe, Silverbelly originally was a silver grey color with scattered brown/tan/taupe/fawn specs. The name derives from the grey spot on the beaver's belly. It's close to impossible to exclusively extract the grey fur components from the pelt - hence the brownish specs.

thanks brother ... I know what "silverbelly" is supposed to be and where the name comes from ... but so many things are called silverbelly now that it makes it easier for me to not use the word at all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe