Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Scooped this Mallory recently

Extremely light and soft.

I thought it may scratch a bit of my Playboy itch while my search continues

3adaba995ea49d71444899e686d0db9b.jpg

ad30a02ec3516ed5522b14b61ce1dce2.jpg

373fb41f5c924db9f303a807b222e25c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The felt on that Mallory looks positively edible. I've never actually held one, but the felt on them looks really comfortable and supple. Wish I could find one in a 7 7/8.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Something silly for someone special...
My younger niece, who is seven years old, is a total Beatles fan, and also loves most everything 60's. Several days ago, she asked me if I could make her a hat. I remembered that I had an old parabuntal that I couldn't really use for much. I found out after receiving it that it was a crown stitched to a seperate brim, so not really able to be reblocked. I was going to try to make a hybrid with the crown, but then I got a better idea. It's a little rough, made on short notice with techniques I'm less familiar with, but hey, it's a hippiee hat! It needs to look like it survived a Dead show or two.

f14e95b9b7a8e8e8f176e6ce2c96d3e9.jpg

It helped that it was a smaller size to start with. Should be completely dry by morning. Hope she likes it!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I got this in the mail yesterday right before going out for the evening. I reshaped it, popped it on my head and took off.

It's a John David (New York/Washington) Fifteen. Dark brown with a black ribbon. I don't believe I've heard of the brand before.

When I saw the pictures in the auction, as mishappen as it was, I could tell the felt had that soft, shapeable quality I find so preferable in a hat. The center dent, especially, has that authentic look that Alan was talking about in another thread.` It's not a perfect crease with smooth sides. It looks vintage the way it is. I love it.

It has some handwritten inscriptions on the liner - '5th game World Series Oct 12, 1964 Yankee Stadium NYC, NY Yanks Cardinals.' On the other side - 'Chas A. Symonds,' and an address I can't quite make out. So if the writing is authentic, the hat dates back to no newer than 1964.
20151225_103836_resized_crop.jpg
20151225_104159_resized_crop_psp.jpg
20151225_104133_resized.jpg
20151225_104146_resized.jpg

Last edited:

2075rami

One of the Regulars
Opened my Christmas gifts from my wife this morning, and what do I find? Not one, but TWO new-to-me hats!!

The first is a Biltmore Golden Pheasant Velour that is marked "Made in Canada".
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451060167.626357.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451060212.749344.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451060230.292913.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451060244.766889.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451060257.990824.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451060275.949501.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451060298.794282.jpg

Sent from my iPhone directly into your brain using Tapatalk

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I got this in the mail yesterday right before going out for the evening. I reshaped it, popped it on my head and took off.

It's a John David (New York/Washington) Fifteen. Dark brown with a black ribbon. I don't believe I've heard of the brand before.

When I saw the pictures in the auction, as mishappen as it was, I could tell the felt had that soft, shapeable quality I find so preferable in a hat. The center dent, especially, has that authentic look that that Alan was talking about in another thread.` It's not a perfect crease with smooth sides. It looks vintage the way it is. I love it.

It has some handwritten inscriptions on the liner - '5th game World Series Oct 12, 1964 Yankee Stadium NYC, NY Yanks Cardinals.' On the other side - 'Chas A. Symonds,' and an address I can't quite make out. So if the writing is authentic, the hat dates back to no newer than 1964. View attachment 40865 View attachment 40866 View attachment 40867 View attachment 40868

not many things I dislike more than a hand bash that looks blocked... or even worse ... one that is blocked

give me lumps, bumps, and uneven pinches all day every day

nice piece ... really cool inscriptions as well

not many things I dislike more than a hand bash that looks blocked... or even worse ... one that is blocked

give me lumps, bumps, and uneven pinches all day every day

nice piece ... really cool inscriptions as well

I agree completely. A 'perfect' bash lacks character, imho. Give me an obviously hand-bashed hat all day.

I'd like to thank the both of you for validating my sloppiness. :cool:

But, I agree. I use to labor over my bashes, but now, thanks in part to this attitude, I usually go for the less-than-perfect look as well.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Even when I was a child, watching the 4:30 movie with my Mom (who was actually rarely watching), the unevenly bashed fedoras in the old films always caught my eye.

The first Indiana Jones fedora cemented my feelings about that look.

9september241980lastsce.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RJR

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
I rather dislike the overdone "hat sprezzatura" with bumps and bashes all over the place. I don't want a hat to look like a piece of factory shaped plastic, but also not like a hat that has accidentally been sat on. I particularly don't care for the messy manipulation of the top crown.

I mostly favour a homberg or a tweed trilby for general winter wear and these look better with a more uniform shape. Despite the name of this forum, I don't even own a fedora:eek:.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I, too, used to fret over the perfectly steamed in crease and dents. Now, as my tastes in felt now runs towards the soft and floppy velours and less or un-stiffened vintage smooth finishes I find that the bash, pinch and go style works better. Not overly sloppy, but not obsessive.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82