Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Rehfus & Cie. "Olympia Extra Qualität", Point 5 1/2, Crown 5 1/2 inches, Brim 2 1/2 inches, probably early to mid 1950s. The felt is of a heavier weight but pliable plus a great shade of blue with a very nice finish. High quality components and construction. I really like the form and color contrast.

Wow. Beautiful, Steve. The color and finish is superb.

javadave61

Practically Family
Well, my near weekly check of the local Salvation Army paid off. Walked in, saw something that looked like a real hat among the junk hats, and I intentionally paced my breathing to prepare for the disappointment. Probably wool or probably a 6 7/8. Turned it over to see the Sheplers and Stetson logos. And then... the 7 1/2 tag. That almost did not compute. I was so not expecting a large hat that I had to think of what a 7 1/2 actually was. I finally allowed myself to get excited. I'm between a 7 3/8 and 7 1/2 and I've only got OR's in 7 3/8. The price made it even better. $12.99. No debate there, despite the fact that this makes my 2nd 80's Open Road. Finally, I can have one in cattleman's and one with a fedora crease. As Michael and others have assured me, you can't have too many. Which is exactly what I said to my wife when she said, "Oh good, you can sell one one eBay."

It's called a Tulsa, which I believe to be an Stetson Open Road made for Sheplers. Anyone insights from fellow Loungers is greatly welcome.

As found:
2015-09-09_20.47.31.jpg 2015-09-09_20.46.47.jpg

After my first round of steaming and shaping :
2015-09-09_20.45.42.jpg 2015-09-09_20.44.37.jpg

TPD166

One Too Many
It arrived yesterday, but didn't get to do any steaming & shaping until tonight - my new Akubra Bushman in Moonstone. This is the second one in less than a month. It's a good thing they only make these hats in two colors! Great hats! I just need some cooler weather.

...I'm really a fan of that moonstone grey color.
Yeah, me too...now. :D

...I love my moonstone Fed.
Yeah, me too...now. lol

+1 and I want one.
As much as I like my Campdrafts, I like my Feds even more; simple, but classic. I don't think you'll be disappointed when you get one.

And thank you Gents! :yo:

Edit: By the way, is anyone else having trouble connecting to Hats Direct? I wanted to double-check something on their website yesterday but kept getting a "The connection has timed out" error message, and it's the same today.

Last edited:
I'm getting a cgi bin error on all the ordering pages. All other pages work (About, contact, etc.). I think they're doing some work on the back end of the database that services the ordering process.

Or somebody spilled whiskey in the server...

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dave, TPD, Zombie nice pickups guys!
Dave I love the feeling when you intentionally set yourself up for disappointment and get blown away
And TDP, I hear you on the heat relief.Looks like it's coming soon

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I REALLY, really wanted to like this Orvis Muir woods

Review written to Orvis, will they print it? [huh] Doubtful.

""But, sorry to report, it puts the 'meh' in mediocre.
Not a bad hat, just not a $250 hat. For that coin you can get into bespoke/made to order headwear from a master hatter.
Poor quality fur felt that felt like it needed several more pouncings (sandings). Indifferent finish details. The brim is fine but the crown is as stiff as a helmet. Amazingly, uncomfortably, remarkably stiff.
Costume quality stiff. The sweatband is a hideous strap of plastic (on a hat costing over two bills? c'mon ya'll). The liner glued in, the brim erroneously described as dimensional; it is instead a full 3" all around. This is an important detail for a retailer to get right, particularly after they have been repeatedly told of the error.
The simple leather hatband around the crown is my favorite thing about this hat. Maybe these people should stick to making tool & die equipment.
If this is what they do to a fur felt, they should at least stay just with straws.
It's a cryin' shame that bunnies were killed for this product.

A swing and a miss, Orvis.
This really is as poor a production hat I have ever seen.
It is just this side of Halloween costume quality and that is being generous.
And anyone who thinks they do not like hats purely on the basis of this purchase hasn't worn a real gentleman's hat. And that would be a real shame.
Pick up your game Orvis."
:mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe