Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
I would have to see better photos but I can tell the binding material is not a correct match.

If someone wanted to keep it period correct, they could also source their own vintage ribbon. I've seen a few spools of fantastic looking vintage silk ribbon pop up on ebay every now and again. In terms of the blind brim stitching and aesthetic look of the hat though, I think they did an amazing job at what alot of people think is an impossible task.

Last edited:

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Stetson riding derby, original cord still attached. One of my favorite sweatbands i've seen on a Stetson, really interesting woodgrain look to it. It also has a cork liner as pictured next to another derby of similar vintage.

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Delion velour, great condition. The brim could use a bit of reshaping but still wearable at this point. looks to be from around the 30's or 40's based on the look and the other hats the seller had up for sale.

+4... or so. What an interesting piece. I assume the cork is for head protection like a helmet?
I was thinking it was to hold the shape of the crown, and/or provide insulation for the wearer to help keep his head warm. Regardless, I'm very interested in hearing why it was used; one of the many reasons I enjoy The Lounge!

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Thank you gents, they really are exceptionally made bowlers. Solid as a rock too, they definitely knew how to make a proper riding hat. More modern riding bowlers (outside of Christys/Lock and Co. and maybe Horka) come nowhere near the level of head protection one like this would offer.

As for the cork liners, if they served any purpose more than decorative, i'd go with insulation. It really is an interesting liner in terms of how they must have been made, its an incredibly paper thin layer of cork over a gauze type material.

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
If someone wanted to keep it period correct, they could also source their own vintage ribbon. I've seen a few spools of fantastic looking vintage silk ribbon pop up on ebay every now and again. In terms of the blind brim stitching and aesthetic look of the hat though, I think they did an amazing job at what alot of people think is an impossible task.

There is a lot of vintage ribbon all over Etsy for a reasonable price and some is from the 1930's. I've purchased some and was super happy with it, it was very easy to "swirl" felt like melted butter doing that with a steam iron.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
2b6c432780ddd78687b9bfcad632d46e.jpg

VS Devils Cut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe