Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I had decided in my mind that my 2" brimmed hat, in light grey rabbit felt, was too short of a brim for me. Funny, because my first hat, a Stetson Saxon in caribou, is a 2" brim but it wears bigger. Don't ask me why, how or tell me that does not make sense, but it just seems that way. The light grey one seemed like a stingy, the Stetson normal. I have wanted to replace it for a year and well, I had a yen a couple of weeks back to sell it and get a new one. Well, before it sold, I determined in my mind to head on up to Mike Moore at Buckaroo Hatters for a new one. Seems like this is a yearly thing for me, about this time each year (well, last year it was around November, lol). I have the Caribou, which is medium grey, a brown hat and a silverbelly which wears to the taupe side. So I was going in, thinking graphite or steel or dark grey or maybe navy. One thing I appreciate about Mike is that he tells it like it is, and he told me navy did not seem right on me or was what I was wanting. He held up swatches and one tended to blue shades, but he had a hat in stock in my size that was charcoal grey. Ribbon edged and it had a thin ribbon. He told me that he could change it out to a 16 ligne and he did and it had a 2 5/8" brim. The first hat he did for me was 2 1/2" so I was good to go. Can't seem to take it off. Been thinking of selling my Stetson Saxon because, well, because it is not a Buckaroo is the only reason I can think of. It does have a non-leather sweatband and I may replace it but I do like the wider ribbon on the Stetson (2" or maybe an 18 ligne) and the brim snap to it just seems to suit me - seems more business like. So it may be a keeper. Anyway, it is always fun to go up to Mike's shop and they had Dickens Christmas on the town square, with everyone dressed up from that time period, hot apple cider given away, food in the little shops, and the place was bustling. Marlowe's was closed down - I had never eaten there - but Mike steered me to the Court Square Cafe where I had country fried steak, sweet tea (cut with unsweet) and veggies. Tried to talk my lady friend into a hat but she did not, but she did like wearing mine for a bit. Nice time was had. Saw some pugarees and may have to get up to Buckaroo come spring time to grab two or three to interchange with my Panama Bob Cuenca and my Buckaroo parbuntal straw hats.

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
R. Hecht Theater Passage is the store that sold it. The box doesn't match the store. There might be a paper label behind the sweatband with more information.

Just received the hat, and didn't waste much time in trying it on. It's just a *tad* big, which I prefer over being a *tad* small.

I checked behind the sweat, but there was no paper label to be found. However, I noticed some writing on the cheesecloth/buckram foundation. Not able to see it clearly here at the office, but will try to take some pictures in the hope that someone will be able to decipher the text. I'll try to get some decent pictures to add to the German - Austrian thread as requested.

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Just posted pics in the German - Austrian thread.

As noted there, I'm having to edit and post pics from my phone, so I apologize if the pics are rather large.

Glad to find that it fits. Been looking for a topper that I can actually wear.

a42e4148ce381801a38635de44a272c4.jpg

c824bc911203761675cf374d567020ca.jpg

Pics of the box. Markings in the hat don't match the box.

adb1530fdbf160212d2e17868d1d9fd7.jpg

2e7f7ebaf031e5ffd4836aa9e23befdf.jpg

Top of the liner.

57883816cc44102b40f490cb9eb6a2ac.jpg

Stamp on the sweat.

36bb85ccfb2ceb708e8dcdcc2bc20e4e.jpg

Markings behind the sweat.

e4f0544daafda2fc2e1861853e384c1f.jpg

313c072975133d74df9075d2632d76e4.jpg

The only flaw I've found so far - the sweat is coming unstitched in a small spot.

31f547c98abfec41bf71dd269db8ba23.jpg

Congrats to both you gentlemen.

Mark that topper is just sublime. Perfect fit. Opulent look!! I know the rare euphoric feeling of total gratification when you find one you've been searching for; especially in such pristine condition... Congrats!!

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
My new Coyle's Downtowner came in today. Unfortunately for me, my girlfriend would kill me if I opened it up, so all I see on the package is:
A6Ch3bR.jpg

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Well, I got to open it today! My new Coyle's Downtowner:
wbRg0DO.jpg E2NdlVL.jpg

AmuunlN.jpg 0VjvajW.jpg

The brim is rolled up to the sides a bit higher than I'd like, so I'll see if I can fix that, but otherwise it's a very nice hat and fits me very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe