Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
...We shouldn't forget, that while the new-found ease of publication has provided us with an era of information - it has also provided us with an era of misinformation. It's not, that there aren't holes in the bullsh*t out there ... they are just sometimes very hard to find ;)...
"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you do read the newspaper, you're misinformed."
Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

I believe this applies to all forms of media these days. If you want to learn "the truth", do your own research, do it thoroughly, and draw your own conclusions.

...I kind of liked the story - and it fit so well with the fact, that CIA kept Lee H. Oswald hidden away in a desert camp, until he was sent to Abbottabad to kill Bin Laden. Just in time, as Mr. Laden was about to reveal, that it actually was Elvis who killed JFK and his brother. Oh yeah ... if people only knew ...!!! lol
:pound:

... If you want to learn "the truth", do your own research, do it thoroughly, and draw your own conclusions.

:pound:

And if "the truth" is what one is really after, he must also be on guard against his own biases and fondest wishes. People have this amazing ability to disregard that which challenges what they most wish to be true.

just got a new akubra for rain and walking' what s sweet deal and wears like a champ very strong and outdoorsy , i bashed this with pure soaked water steam just could not get what i wanted
Photo on 7-26-14 at 7.08 PM.jpg

Photo on 7-26-14 at 7.07 PM.jpg

Stetson Stratoliner, early to mid-'40s based on the price tag, size label, crest, etc. It's in great condition and the sweatband is soft, pliable and appears almost new. Unlined, with no crown tip, it appears to have never had either. Compared to post-War Stetsons the felt is less dense and the pouncing is courser, but it is easily shaped and re-shaped. All of these lead me to believe it was produced when fur and other materials were scarce due to wartime restrictions, and is typical of the entry level hat it was at the time.

Beauty!
Did you find a LOTXXXX stamp on the reverse side of the sweat?

And if "the truth" is what one is really after, he must also be on guard against his own biases and fondest wishes. People have this amazing ability to disregard that which challenges what they most wish to be true.
That's one of the reasons I used quotation marks around "the truth"--"truth" can be based on any number of factors an individual might apply to it, intentionally or not.

just got a new akubra for rain and walking' what s sweet deal and wears like a champ very strong and outdoorsy...
Now that's a good hat for sun and rain protection. And it looks good on you! :thumb:

That's one of the reasons I used quotation marks around "the truth"--"truth" can be based on any number of factors an individual might apply to it, intentionally or not.

Now that's a good hat for sun and rain protection. And it looks good on you! :thumb:
just like i wanted too, a INDY hat with just a little more brim, the leather is very strong too

Excellent, thank you. The two Stratoliners I have with Lot stamps are in the 76XX's. These imprints disappear sometime around 1942. Congratulations on a great find.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Mallory Fedora Circa 30s!

I just picked up this off-white Mallory from a lady who said it had been in her family for a long time. It looks like it can be worn with the brim up or cocked down in front. It could almost pass for a Homburg as in the second photo. Not sure of the age but I'm guessing circa 30s. It does have the United Hatters tag so it can't be older than that. It's in really good condition just soiled and needs cleaned. The brim is 2 1/2" with a 5/8" grosgrain bound edge. The crown is approx. 5 1/2" tall (open) with a 1 3/4" black grosgrain ribbon. The unreeded leather sweatband is still very soft and pliable. I was hoping some Mallory experts might be able to elaborate more on the hat.

photo2-140_zps3f63d6c2.jpg

photo5-138_zpsf59868e8.jpg

photo5-179_zpsf1c0d13d.jpg

photo1-181_zps01baff4e.jpg

photo5-48_zpse112d45a.jpg

photo2-139_zps510d246d.jpg

photo2-125_zps0775e699.jpg

photo1-173_zpsdcba9191.jpg

photo2-128_zps4b5f5ddd.jpg

photo1-149_zpsc2214868.jpg

Yup, it's a Homburg. I join Ole in suggesting you wear it brim up and sans pinch.

Too bad about that stained binding and that spot toward the back of the crown. If it were mine, I'd wear it when I'm dressed down for walking the dog or venturing out of doors on a day threatening rain. And at some point I'd consider refurbing it.

Purplesage

One Too Many
This is a 1923 Mallory hat ad with the actor Wallace Reid. Hat looks similar to the Mallory I posted except the one I posted doesn't go back as far as 1923, at least I don't think so.

1922MALLORYWALLACEREID_zpsf2b51a7b.jpg

photo3-66_zpsd8047d83.jpg

photo2-140_zps8185809e.jpg

photo5-44_zpse48f1f66.jpg

photo5-160_zps7cb7cabf.jpg

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
New (to me) Cavanagh. rare 7 5/8 long oval. It was a little rough and dirty out of the box but a quick steam and brushing shaped it up nicely.

_DSC1118_zpsd20f85d9.jpg _DSC1126_zps1244caad.jpg

_DSC1131_zps9c463c37.jpg

Unfortunately the sweatband has dry rot pretty bad and I think I'll replace it (any recommendations?).
_DSC1128_zps47c3fa3e.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe