Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
emig2.jpg

I'm speechless……………..:jaw::jaw::jaw:

Alan, just SPECTACULAR!!!!! The condition is simply remarkable!!!! Most definitely museum quality. It looks very close to the pre-civil war topper that Garrett owns.

Owning a museum quality pre-civil war topper is most definitely on my Dream wish list.

The reed is copper?? Is there any way you can photograph the sweatband stitching? I am really curious how the sweatband leather is attached to the reed. Does it look hand stitched or like it was done with a machine? How wide is the sweatband?

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thank you Josh and Joao.

Josh, the sweatband is 2 3/4". There is no visible stitching. At the reed end, the material is folded behind and then stitched blindly, I assume, to the reed carrier. It is hard to tell exactly, because the sweat is then pasted down to the interior shell of the hat. I can't peek behind to see. The small area of missing coating shows the reed material. It appears to be brass wire, smooth and golden in color. It doesn't look like natural reed to me. Here's another photo.

emig17.jpg

Thank you Josh and Joao.

Josh, the sweatband is 2 3/4". There is no visible stitching. At the reed end, the material is folded behind and then stitched blindly, I assume, to the reed carrier. It is hard to tell exactly, because the sweat is then pasted down to the interior shell of the hat. I can't peek behind to see. The small area of missing coating shows the reed material. It appears to be brass wire, smooth and golden in color. It doesn't look like natural reed to me. Here's another photo.

emig17.jpg

Hi Alan

Great,Great hat....

Alan, How will you go about storing and preserving such a rare beauty?
I really enjoy looking at your great collection.
Thank you Sir!
Regards.

CCJ

Purplesage

One Too Many
Stetson Standard Quality

Just got this Stetson Standard Quality a few days ago. It's in good shape considering it's age, just a bit of wear to the unreeded sweatband and some light staining on the liner. The leather on the sweatband is still soft and pliable with the taped seam intact. The brim is approx 2" with a raw edge and the open crown is approx. 5 1/2" with a 2" black grosgrain ribbon which is frayed on the trailing edges. Not sure if the brim was cut down or this was the actual brim width since short brims were fairly common for the period. I recently acquired a Dobbs and an Adam, both circa 30s fedoras which have 2 1/4" brims. I believe this Stetson probably hails from the 30s as well. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

photo3-218_zpsc8c53e13.jpg

photo4-149_zps0a3076e9.jpg

photo5-234_zps060f04f8.jpg

photo3-150_zpsa5b357ea.jpg

photo2-164_zps899e05e1.jpg

photo1-150_zps91baa4ce.jpg

photo5-229_zps73c0e7d1.jpg

photo4-195_zps52d5e942.jpg

photo1-154_zps1cf47cd2.jpg

photo3-221_zpsdc1a99ad.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
By 1865, the store has moved a few storefronts north on Main Street, dating this hat circa 1860, earlier than 1865.

Alan, I found your address in the 58-61 directories. The new 393 Main address is in the 1863 directory. I couldn't find the 1862. So "earlier than 1863....".

Just found the 1862 directory. Still at 385 Main.

B

Last edited:
Hi Alan

Great,Great hat....

Alan, How will you go about storing and preserving such a rare beauty?
I really enjoy looking at your great collection.
Thank you Sir!
Regards.

CCJ

Thank you... The box it came in is not suitable for storage. I have a couple of double hat boxes that would be high enough to store this, though I tend to leave my favorite hats out and about so that I can see them and enjoy them and share them with friends. A little indirect daylight and gentle handling seems to be OK and helps to keep the dust at bay.

Thank you... The box it came in is not suitable for storage. I have a couple of double hat boxes that would be high enough to store this, though I tend to leave my favorite hats out and about so that I can see them and enjoy them and share them with friends. A little indirect daylight and gentle handling seems to be OK and helps to keep the dust at bay.

Alan, Thank you for your reply! All the best with that Beauty, please show her off to us from time to time.
Regards
CCJ

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Picked up my new Premiere Stratoliner in Cornhill today. It's getting to be no challenge at all to crease a hat into my usual teardrop shape. As usual, soft to start with, stiffens with steam. Hit the brim a few times to get more snap into it.

Tom

cornhill.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld