Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Parabuntal straw, back from Optimo

More photos and specifications here.

parabuntal7.jpg

parabuntal8.jpg

parabuntal9.jpg

parabuntal12.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Got this hat very cheap from bay. It was stated it was a hat from the closing auction of Beaver Brand factory. Now I'm not sure it was.

bb01.jpg

bb02.jpg

bb03.jpg

bb04.jpg

^^ Color: Assorted??

bb05.jpg

bb07.jpg

^^ This was clearly sanded. Can only read "TEXAS"

bb08.jpg

^^ Seem to have had another hatband. Can see the holes and threads that secured the "older" hatband.

Also it have some moth nibbles, something I find very weird on a hat directly from a factory.

TPD166

One Too Many
This in my "new" Stetson 4X Wisp I got on ebay. Nothing too remarkable about the hat in general (3" brim, Silverbelly, printed "Last Drop" liner, etc.), but the felt is very different than others from this era (I suspect 1970s to 80s). The felt is very thin, lightweight, and very soft for a western - the felt is more of a modern dress hat weight. I think I even have another (older) Wisp in more of light silver color and it has the thicker, stiffer western felt hat felt.

The other interesting part of the story (to me anyway) is that hat was advertised as being unworn, and it appears that is likely true - but when it arrived there were two wide "marks" on the underside of the brim. They looked like stains or scuffs of some kind, but I could not figure what they were from. I tried both a hat brush and a stiff plastic brush and no changes. I had decided to just to eventually have it cleaned. But when I was getting some Lexol out I noticed a white rubber eraser that had come with a shoe cleaning kit. I decided to see if that would do anything to the brim marks - it did! They all but disappeared from "erasing" them. Maybe this trick is old news to some, but it was pleasant surprise to me.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Heather Stetson Special

Perfect fall hat. Not sure of the age but I was thinking maybe the 30s. It has a 2 1/4" overwelt brim and a 5 1/2" open crown.

photo-283_zps05cd6686.jpg

photo-290_zps07111ce1.jpg

photo-320_zps9c15b536.jpg

photo-334_zps650afb78.jpg

photo-349_zpsdbd622a2.jpg

photo-346_zps5b8fa42a.jpg

photo-345_zps97d36a38.jpg

photo-457_zps8d8abbc8.jpg

photo-454_zps38e00d9d.jpg

photo-450_zpsacacc886.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Alan: Beautiful Palladio!

Purplesage: Congratulations! Thats a very nice Stetson, indeed - and you're probably right about the dating. The sweat and size tag points to the 30s. Interesting ribbon. To my knowledge Stetsons with petersham ribbon are quite rare, except for The Flagship. A great find :)

Purplesage

One Too Many
Lot Number on Heather Stetson Special

Alan, There is a Lot Number on the back of the sweatband but is partially covered by an old price tag and it isn't very legible. I thought about removing the old price tag but it might remove the Lot Number in the process as well as loosing the price tag which can possibly help identify the date of the hat.

photo-915_zpsb3d4f8a3.jpg
photo-923_zps618425ad.jpg

photo-916_zpsf91856c7.jpg

That's great... thanks for sharing. Looks like 75X0. Number and $5 price are consistent with other posted late 1930s - 1940 Stetson Specials.

Does the liner material have that unusual slippery synthetic hand?

lot75xx.jpg

Banky

One of the Regulars
Figured you guys might get a kick out of this photo, we had a mugshot night down at the shop. This is me in my new Simonds newsboy vintage wool, 11in diameter all around awesome cap and my new go to for working in the shop.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Figured you guys might get a kick out of this photo, we had a mugshot night down at the shop. This is me in my new Simonds newsboy vintage wool, 11in diameter all around awesome cap and my new go to for working in the shop.

Nice! Love the cap! Looks like something George Nelson wore! Really nice!

jskeen

One of the Regulars
Picked this up from a local theater company this week, seems they were thinning the prop department a bit. I'm still trying to decide if it's too big or will settle down to a better fit in a little while. I'm usually a 7 1/4 LO, and have a couple of 7 5/8 regulars that fit good, but this 7 3/8 lo may be a bit much. Anyway, original listing pics;
stetson1.jpg
stetson3.jpg
stetson4.jpg

Any info on dates that hatco went to the plain white liner from the white diamond version, the 7x designation without the clear beaver tag, and the black square size tag without the metric size, and whatever other observations come to mind appreciated.

I did a little steam shaping after a thorough brushdown today and came up with this;
2013-09-14
2013-09-14
2013-09-14

Oh, here it is on my best fitting bandblock;
2013-09-14

and the obligatory headshot;
Khs5xU_fEF6sTLewzvW5fcnoBY02r08SIg_F5GQSlqY=w411-h340-no
2SOk6Sm5H5AL5V8TLXbZg_bAuEeHF_Pe77nwdapiGnM=w393-h330-no

What do you think? Is it a keeper?

Last edited:

TPD166

One Too Many
This one arrived yesterday - Stetson Open Road 3X with "Last Drop" liner - color is light olive green color (similar to a Resistol OR-styled hat I used to have). I thought the liner was embroidered, but I don't think it is - however, it does not look like the later printed Last Drop liners. I'm guessing the hat is from the 1960s based on what I've seen on TFL. I've never seen a Stetson box like the one it came with, which seems to be original to the hat (not sure if the writing says "Buck Skin" - but I have a '50s OR in Buckskin that is a very different color than this). Any input on the age of he hat or box is appreciated.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe