Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's interesting that they (TONAK) are using an old JHS logo design on the tip patch. The felt is actually a mix of pre dyed rabbit / hare furs...

Sorry for the detour!

No apologies necessary for a fascinating aside!

Yes the hairs are pre-dyed, and fairly long - a similar finish to a lot of the traditional trachten hats.

Yes you are totally correct about the felt mix / finish and Trachten connection. TONAK also supplies finished fur hoods / complete hat for that market.

Last edited:

Ghost Rider

One of the Regulars
Nice colour mix - great for a coastal stroll in the sun.

Thanks! I saw this hat a month or so ago in Basel, but only in an extra large size. By chance, I found the smallest size in Stuttgart, although they still had to sew the band a bit to make it fit my small bonce. One of the disadvantages of living here is that it's a good 600km to the nearest coastline, so I'll have to wait for that.

Whereabouts in Kent?

Born in Canterbury, but grew up in Teynham (between Sittingbourne and Faversham)

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Born in Canterbury, but grew up in Teynham (between Sittingbourne and Faversham)

A good place to be born, and I currently work there. I've lived in Faversham for about 15yrs.

A small bonce can be advantageous - you'll have a good choice of vintage pieces at good prices.

-----------------

Thanks for all the comments on the Huckle.

Last edited:

Ghost Rider

One of the Regulars
I've lived in Faversham for about 15yrs.

That's where my grandfather was from. Having lived outside the UK for 18 years now, I probably wouldn't recognise it anymore. I'd love to visit Seasalter again - that was our nearest "proper" beach when I was a kid.

P.S. Congratulations on your 500th post!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Supernatural Ecuadorian Homburg

P1070555.JPG
P1070556.jpg
P1070553.jpg
P1070558.JPG

Last edited:
P. & C. Habig Wien Special Zefir, size 58cm, 1950 based on paper label, very good condition. I really like the trademark Habig bow design and contrasting brim binding. Also fantastic pliable light weight - light gray felt.

9425981842_ceb48679c8_b.jpg

9423185037_c841637dfb_b.jpg

9425989888_e16b693eec_b.jpg

9423233225_407515f50a_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe