Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Garrett,

You did great on that one, I'd say. I saw that (and in my size too) and let it slide 'cuz I've got three grey Borso's - but that is a fantastic hat. I hope the compression ring and that little mark on the top back brim comes out, but otherwise that is a perfect prize!!

Mixmaster

New in Town
bolthead said:
It sure looks like it from here. That's not a "Tom & Jerry" is it?

Er...I don't know what a "Tom and Jerry" is, but it says "Knox fifteen" on the sweatband.

I was wondering about the edge too, if it is the famed cavenaugh - I will take close-up pics of it soon and post to get your opinions. I am supposed to be writing my art history lecture for tomorrow, and not looking at cool hats :D

Back to the Cathedral complex at Pisa for me....

-Sherri

Viper Man

Banned
ken100 said:
DSC_0143.jpg

Bravo! Ken, I think the dimensions of the Federation are perfect for you. I have a moonstone deluxe on the way and I hope I look half as good as you do in your Fed.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

I have recently received this J. C. Penney Marathon.

DSCF0887.jpg

DSCF0886.jpg

DSCF0888.jpg

The felt, although soft and pliable, is not of the finer quality, it has a somewhat grainy appearance at close distance.

Seller mentioned the blackish liner meant it was earlier production; I do not have any other J. C. Penney hat to compare, so I do not know. It has a "Sport Felo" inscription on the sweat band, which may be the hat model or some feature ot the sweat band itself.

DSCF0892.jpg

DSCF0890.jpg

DSCF0891.jpg

If any lounge member can bring some additional information, or at least give an approximate date for the hat, I would be glad to hear! :D

Regards!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Torpedo said:
I have recently received this J. C. Penney Marathon.

If any lounge member can bring some additional information, or at least give an approximate date for the hat, I would be glad to hear! :D

From the proportions of the hat and ribbon, as well as the brim edge treatment, it makes me think it may be Penney's answer to Stetson's Flagship. That would put it squarely in the late forties or 1950, don'tcha' think guys?

(A view of my Flagsip for comparison)
DSC_0025.jpg

(An ad purported to be from 1950)
stetson_1950_flagship_00.jpg

Viper Man

Banned
I can see the similarities, Gene. Those Marathons are nice looking hats, guys. :eusa_clap

Sometimes I feel like I won't be happy until I own one vintage hat from every maker. Seeing all of the great hats on display at the FL only fuels my desire. lol

Here are some shots of my new Fed Deluxe. The first two were taken with a flash. I was astounded that this thing made it here in 8 days flat from down under (that's including the weekend and a U.S. holiday)! This is my first Akubra and first modern production hat in general but I must say I am quite impressed. Hopefully it won't be my last!

345875764.jpg

345875580.jpg

345875583.jpg

Viper Man

Banned
Thanks guys! I spent about an hour last night "tweaking" the crease with a spray bottle of distilled water. Then, after it dried, I wore it out into a snowstorm, tweaked it again and let it dry. Voila! lol

Seriously though, thanks to everyone here, if it weren't for the lounge I wouldn't even know that Akubra existed or that they made such fine and affordable lids.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Viper Man, This is not a bad thing but.... what Golden Age of Comics character does this picture remind me of?
345875583.jpg

It's right around the corner of my mind.

Maybe Dinerman can help. Hmmm.....

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks good Viper.

Seriously though, thanks to everyone here, if it weren't for the lounge I wouldn't even know that Akubra existed or that they made such fine and affordable lids.

I definitely would have to agree with this statement, whole heartedly. :eusa_clap

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
carter said:
Viper Man, This is not a bad thing but.... what Golden Age of Comics character does this picture remind me of?
345875583.jpg

It's right around the corner of my mind.

Maybe Dinerman can help. Hmmm.....

I'm getting a real Spiritual vibe from that pic... though it may be tinged with a Shadow of doubt!:D Am I right?

Aw, hell, maybe it's just Darkwing Duck!

-AFI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe