Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
pw055.jpg

pw054.jpg

60's Caribou color Royal Stetson. Very similar to my Biltmore. I'm going to clean and steam it into a center dent. Even though it's from the 60's it has a nice full untapered crown.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Titanic - very handsome design, Robert.

The brim edge design makes me wonder if Optimo has the ability to hide the ribbon stitch on top as on this Borsalino?

I tried. Not willing yet. Requires special attachments with gauge and practice--not too cost effective for the demand. No big factory volume. Thats actually a stitch down and fold over and under the brim then stitch other end through. The ribbon has to be swirled to the shape and the curve has to be perfectly aligned. Similar issues with Cavanagh edges such as no body size flexibility and lots of hand finishing.

Last edited:
Thats actually a stitch down and fold over then stitch other end through. The curve has to be perfectly aligned. Similar issues with Cavanagh edges.

Right and probably very hard with the fold over to achieve a flat surface on the top. I would guess this is best suited for a very narrow piping-like right at the edge.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Narrowness just makes the gripping and positioning even more challenging. Its an issue of proper machinery and rigging and the skills to use them with consistency. Freehand you would probably blow through hundreds to get one perfect.

This is why this edge and the felted welt are effectively extinct. Lack of sales volume, mostly and thus equipment and skilled labor.

Narrowness just makes the gripping and positioning even more challenging. Its an issue of proper machinery and rigging and the skills to use them with consistency. Freehand you would probably blow through hundreds to get one perfect.

This is why this edge and the felted welt are effectively extinct. Lack of sales volume, mostly and thus equipment and skilled labor.

Here is a nice example by Mayser (probably early to mid 50s).

6167448066_eba1bcb804_b.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Fuzzy's companion in the double decker hatbox Pless Wien Topper

P1050425.JPG
P1050426.JPG
P1050427.JPG
P1050428.JPG

Unlikely to have belonged to the same original owner as the Top Hat is 3+ sizes smaller.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Frank, thanks for the pics and review of Salamugundi. My wife are in the Boston area a few times a year and will have to stop by there sometime. Your wife's hats are very sharp, as are your refurbished ones.

Robert, the color and styling on that Optimo are outstanding!

Hello Hatophile and thanks for noticing my earlier posting and sharing in my and my wife's exciting and great day at
Salmagundi's in Boston .

She walked out with two new hats and I have three rescued hats that were new and like new ,so a good day was had by
all !

DSCN1540_zps15a1736b.jpg

DSCN1563_zpsc06f77da.jpg

All the Best , Fashion Frank

fashion frank

One Too Many
Today the postman brought me another great ,new ,mint cheap free bay special !

I can't get over this one ,here is the original listing ,notice the price of the hat itself and the
p&h dirt cheap!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dobbs-Fifth...dseUQoRo307LIf%2FaYe8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Now here it is in the flesh .

DSCN1573_zpsa02c3dd7.jpg

I am going to like this hat with all my lighter summer suits YEA !

DSCN1575_zpsf48bacdd.jpg

DSCN1574_zpscb9c7fd4.jpg

And for those of you who wonder what Fashion Frank has to look like when he is wearing the forced attire of the working
class stiff , here it is ( promise not to laugh ) : ) at least I have on a vest and working mans' cap .[huh]

DSCN1576_zps13c4cf40.jpg

All the Best , Fashion Frank

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
New to me Resistol, of some vintage or another. This is another Bond hat, and it's gorgeous. The color is a rich cocoa, and the felt is superb.

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Aaron

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Cross post from the straw hat thread

I have this Churchill Leghorn straw finding its way Down Under. I have wanted oned for years and they don't come up much in this condition or at all on evilBay.

Of course, as you know, the temperature has gone as high as 43.5C (110.3F) recently!

It is a LO and 59 so I will need to give it a stretch up to 60-61 but I suspect being LO might make it easier.

Leghorn is a featherweight, open-weave hat made of specially cultured and woven wheat fiber, shipped from the port of Leghorn, whence it gets its name. The finer, upper portion of the the wheat stalk is plaited into Leghorn braid. This straw hat is light, durable, clear and bright in color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe