Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thunderball

One of the Regulars
I got one of those Hats Plus ORs too. I flipped the sweatband and it's dated 2002, so your hat may have drawn up a bit in storage if it's of the same vintage as mine. I checked all the Biltmore catalogs on their website and I don't see the Wilderness Collection OR after 2006.

What did you see when you flipped the sweatband that indicated the date? I did not find anything?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Hückel Standard

DSCF1459.JPG
DSCF1448.JPG
DSCF1462.JPG
DSCF1468.JPG

Not a velour. Might be quite old. D'Orsay curl with stitched over welt brim and tapered crown of moderate height. Age deterioration of fabric portions. Not sure if address is Karlsbad, Germany or Czech(Carlovy Vary/Karlsbad). Better images soon.

Last edited:
Robert, Happy to see it arrived safely! I think your right about it being quite old. It has a great form! Looking forward to more details (hoping it has a paper label). My guess would be Karlsbad / Carlovy Vary.

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Robert, Happy to see it arrived safely! I think your right about it being quite old. It has a great form! Looking forward to more details (hoping it has a paper label). My guess would be Karlsbad / Carlovy Vary.

Thanks Steve. No mention of Czecho Slovakia or Germany so perhaps a pre WW1 Hat, when it was part of Austria-Hungary?

Robert, I think you might be correct (see below). The style would definitely fit that time period. I am not sure how far back that format paper label goes.

I have a 30s JHS Melone that has Czech Plzeň instead of the German Pilsen which would fit that time period. If it was pre WWI I would expect Pilsen similar to the use of Karlsbad on your hat.

5906067187_f78314d5ff_b.jpg

It has more in common with my old JHS Flexible Melone.

3942448788_2cef7145a8_b.jpg

3942449856_39920a14ba_b.jpg

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
The First World War marked a significant turning point for the cure. When the war broke the monarchy. From crown lands Cisleithanian Bohemia, Moravia, Austrian Silesia and the north of Hungary, Czechoslovakia was constituted. The Treaty of Saint-Germain confirmed the association of German Bohemia and Czechoslovakia. The demonstration of 4 Ended in March 1919 for the self-determination and against membership of Czechoslovakia in Carlsbad without bloodshed. Later, however, the resolution of a demonstration six demonstrators were killed by the army.

After the Munich Agreement Carlsbad was incorporated into the German Reich. On 1 May 1939, the town of the same district dissolved and formed henceforth a separate county, augmented by incorporation of places Aich, Drahowitz, Espenthor, fishermen Kohlhau, Maierhöfen, Pirkenhammer and Weheditz. Carlsbad is also the administrative seat of the district of Eger.

Manfred, Thanks! I actually have some JHS hats from the 1939 - 1941 time period. The ones that have paper labels have "Made in Germany".

3334747147_992b0fd1fd_b.jpg

Last edited:
It appears the hats that were exported had "Made In ..." labels. The "Made in Germany" one I posted was from a Bulgarian source. By the way looking forward to more photos of the JHS Sigma!

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
That's why I mostly stay home Ed! Don't want to get out-lidded. I guess vintage lids are a convenient cop-out to modern fashion. I'll take it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe