Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post-Apocalyptic Films of the 80's

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess, technically, The Road Warrior isn't really Post Apocalyptic. It seems to be taking place in a futuristic wasteland (where Max is seen driving at the end of the first film). Only in Beyond Thunderdome is "the day after" mentioned. But no matter what the time frame,The Road Warrior really was the template for all the others of the genre to follow.

flat-top

Maguire said:
blade runner is considered "cyber punk" dystopia i believe.. i forget the other term used for that type of vision of the future.

I love mel gibson and mad max is definitely the best of the 80s post apocalypse films.

I've seen Bronx Warriors (longest movie ever it seems) and have a box set of Italian post apocalyptic movies. Fred Williamson was in nearly all of them. The New Barbarians is definitely the top one of these for absurd, dumb italian exploitation films.
I have that box set too! The Hammer is the man!

A.R. McVintage

flat-top said:
I guess, technically, The Road Warrior isn't really Post Apocalyptic. It seems to be taking place in a futuristic wasteland (where Max is seen driving at the end of the first film). Only in Beyond Thunderdome is "the day after" mentioned. But no matter what the time frame,The Road Warrior really was the template for all the others of the genre to follow.

Yeah it is. Even in Mad Max. It's actually showing a post-crisis society breaking down further and further over the course of the series.:)

flat-top

A.R. McVintage said:
Yeah it is. Even in Mad Max. It's actually showing a post-crisis society breaking down further and further over the course of the series.:)
Actually, I just remembered the "two warring tribes" voice over at the beginning of The Road Warrior, so you're right.
Beyond Thunderdome is the only movie where the characters are actually speaking of it.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
BellyTank said:
That would have been one of mine but I hate the actor now, so retrospectively dislike the movie.

This is a great one, from my homeland- you probably haven't seen it.
Lots of great reviews and a bit of a sleeper:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089869/

B
T

I really liked One Quiet Earth. I thought it was interesting as the only ones to survive were at the brink of death.

I too loved Beyond Thunderdome. Come on, Tina Turner in a push up corset :rolleyes:

LD

PS, whats next Flat Top? Best time travel movies of the 80s ;)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Didn't every 80's post apoc film spring from MM2?

THAT MOVIE HAD IT ALL!
I believe Siskel & Ebert once reviewed it as one ofthe most imitated movies of the `80s. Maybe only StarWars was more influential on that decade.

An yes it was one of my all time favorites.
Tho Thunderdome is a bit of a miss.

At one timed around 2000 or early 2001 a sequel was slated, But 9/11 interfered w/ the developmnt. There is now some talk, but Mel Gibson now feels too old to play the role. He was quoted as saying they would call him FatMax.

1281139937_788adb5edf.jpg

1282004220_ba745fa896.jpg

395497539_8b9012fcde.jpg

173993604_66468c0a8b.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
I really liked One Quiet Earth. I thought it was interesting as the only ones to survive were at the brink of death.

I too loved Beyond Thunderdome. Come on, Tina Turner in a pus up corset :rolleyes:

LD

The Quiet Earth was cool. There are scenes from I Am Legend that reminded me of that movie. Particularly when he walks into the church in a woman's slip and a shotgun. "Come out...or the kid gets it!"

flat-top

Lady Day said:
I was actually thinking about "Teen Sex Comedies of the 80's" but I don't think that would go over too well here! "Hardbodies" anyone?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
flat-top said:
"Thunderdome" felt a bit like Return of the Jedi.

It sure did have a Spielberg feel to it. And the two directors made it feel like two movies stuck together.
Too over the top, even tho there were some really cool ideas.

A shame they didnt do a film taking off right after RoadWArrior ends.
Interesting to see the kid's fading last memory of Max standing on the road w/ PapaGallo's car.
Far cooler to see him bluff his way thru MADMAX2 w/ no shotgun shells, than to see him suspended on a bungee cord in a cage w/ a sputtering chainsaw played for laughs.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
flat-top said:
Hold onto your shoulder pad, Bern:
http://madmaxcostumes.com/

Since I dont drive...I wouldnt even presume to wear a mad max costume.
I'd look like a big poser sissy in all that blackleather.

Remember back in the late `80s, someone found a warehouse full of V8 engines. They ended up finding theyre way into a pricey italian sportcar. I couldnt help but think of the MadMax line: LAST OF THE V8 ENGINES, Max!
480027673_6de23fb7b8.jpg

flat-top

MrBern said:
Since I dont drive...I wouldnt even presume to wear a mad max costume.
I'd look like a big poser sissy in all that blackleather.

My friend made an exact replica of Max's Road Warrior outfit (leg brace and all). What he's going to do with it, I have no idea.

A.R. McVintage

I know it's early '90s, but anyone remember Tank Girl with Lori Petty? Such a fun piece of (very much admittedly) garbage.lol

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
A.R. McVintage said:
Blade Runner, while good, isn't post-apocalyptic. It's just set in a world where things have gotten really, really, terrible--not one where mankind has come anywhere close to wiping itself out and there are rogue and violent stragglers trying to survive.

Hmm, this could lead to a debate. After all, in the `80s it wasnt unusual to see double features of RoadWArrior & Bladerunner.
Both cops in dystopias. One high tech urban, one low tech outback.
Are they onthe same planet? Both are set in the near future.
2120801395_bee2e2bfa1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe