Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Possible to identify this A-2?

kampkatz

Practically Family
Faux A-2

The jacket does not pass for a serious A-2. It lacks many vital features(some already mentioned) such as collar hook, pocket and collar snaps The epaulets are also sewn down the entire length. Just enjoy it as a good bargain. However, if you do seek a more authentic looking A-2 look for names such as Cooper, Avirex, Eastman, Buzz Rickson, etc.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Zips

A serious and civil question - here is a humble answer.

First, the tape of 1940s zips is different - usually cotton (rather than polyester) and most often folded rather than plastic- or tape-sealed at the lower end. Some have a herringbone pattern weave.

Second, the teeth are often a different pattern, as they are gear cut. Crown teeth of the period have a characteristic 'chevron' or 'V' pattern.

Third, the stoppers at the top. Although there are exceptions, early zips often have 'C' shaped stoppers while late ones are either folded or pinched. The general quality of the metalwork on early zips seems higher.

Fourth, the slider and puller itself. You need to gain experience of this, as many (Crown, Talon, Conmar) are availale as reproductions. Some are good, some are bad. The good ones (check ELCs new Crown of the stuff done my Mash in Japan is virtually indistinguishable from the original.

If you are really interested in zippers, there is a book currently for sale on the 'Bay called 'Talon - a Romance of Achievement' which I heartily commend to your perusal. I hope this helps.

Alan

Flieger

Practically Family
Kampkatz: I'm well aware that this jacket is not a "true" A-2. However, calling it "faux" would imply that it was made as a forgery, trying to lure someone into buying a "true" A-2. I don't belive this is the case with this jacket.

I have bought it because I like a leather jacket that looks similar to an A-2. Being on a budget I have no money to go Eastman or Buzz Rickson. Personally I think this jacket looks more like an A-2 then the Avirex I already have. And thus I'll enjoy it for what it is - A cool leather jacket. :)

Flieger

Flieger

Practically Family
Alan Eardley said:
A serious and civil question - here is a humble answer...

Alan

Thank you for the reply, Alan! Using your guide I'll be able to spot the differences (old/new) I'm sure. I'll post detailed photos of the zipper details when I get the jacket in my hands. I'm not going to get obsessed with zippers but I'm always interested in knowing more about items I buy.

Cheers!

Flieger

Flieger

Practically Family
Ahem... err... *scratches his head and blushes* Well, the jacket arrived but unfortunetley it didn't look anything like an A-2 when it put it on. :eek: Problem is that the jacket is one of those tight 1970's, soft leather things that just look awful on a body like mine.

I decided to hang it in my closet and forget it ever existed at all. :D

Lesson learned: If you want an A-2 - Buy an A-2! lol

Flieger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe