Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I wanted to chime in with a pomade I have found that has been working wonders for me. Just a quick FYI on my pomade use: Murray's, Layrite, Sweet Georgia Brown, Trumper's, Royal and various other wax styles. I have recently found Grant's Pomade. Its water soluble, but very different from Layrite. It has a wonderful almond smell and actually allows you to restyle it. Obviously, the texture changes when recombing your hair, but it does hold up. I would highly recommend it if you get the chance.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
The Good, I use the Pinaud Eau de Quinine from time to time. I really love the scent. It is greaseless and gives a nice shine and a little hold. Most of the time I use it as an after shave or body splash, though, because I like the scent so much.

markthebarber

New in Town
Clubman Eau De Quinine:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Is anybody familiar with using this hair tonic, or even heard of the name? I just ordered it, mainly because of, if I can recall, James Bond novel associations. I think this is about as old as the 1950s or '60s, if not older. This is advertised as a greaseless product, is something like this comparable to Vitalis?

You know, I tried both of those Pinaud tonics several years ago and they both seemed sort of useless as grooming aids. They're definitely greaseless, but I wouldn't compare them to Vitalis, which works by depositing a chemical "film" on the hair which is supposed to hold it in place. I don't think the Pinaud tonics have anything in them to address hold. When I used them, it was pretty much like putting perfumed water in my hair. It looked fine initially, but 10 minutes later it dried up and was like I had no product in there at all. Your mileage may vary.

Some vintage hair tonics were really just about providing a masking scent to cover up the smell of unwashed hair and scalp. For instance, I was just looking at the Clubman Greaseless Hair Tonic (which I had never seen before) at a beauty supply store and the entire ingredient list was water, alcohol and fragrance. That's going to make one's hair smell nice, but it won't do anything else.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
OK, at least I've collected something with a potential James Bond connection I suppose; the original Ian Fleming novels. I will give it a try, and see what I think. I think I'll even try to use it just on it's own one day and see how exactly it holds my hair, if at all.

On another note, since this is quite expensive, I'm considering to get this as a Christmas gift if I can from relatives, due to the fact that Sean Connery may have used this hair product in the film Thunderball:

http://www.trumpers.com/product_detail.cfm?ProductID=111547239

George F. Trumper's Eucris Hairdressing.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
You know, I tried both of those Pinaud tonics several years ago and they both seemed sort of useless as grooming aids. They're definitely greaseless, but I wouldn't compare them to Vitalis, which works by depositing a chemical "film" on the hair which is supposed to hold it in place. I don't think the Pinaud tonics have anything in them to address hold. When I used them, it was pretty much like putting perfumed water in my hair. It looked fine initially, but 10 minutes later it dried up and was like I had no product in there at all. Your mileage may vary.

Some vintage hair tonics were really just about providing a masking scent to cover up the smell of unwashed hair and scalp. For instance, I was just looking at the Clubman Greaseless Hair Tonic (which I had never seen before) at a beauty supply store and the entire ingredient list was water, alcohol and fragrance. That's going to make one's hair smell nice, but it won't do anything else.

I disagree. Maybe your hair is so thick and unruly that you don't notice the difference, but the Eau de Quinine definitely has some holding power. When I use it it holds my hair in place for most of the day.

The Good, the connection goes much further back than James Bond. Eau de Quinine dates back to 1810. That's more like Napoleon, not James Bond.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I disagree. Maybe your hair is so thick and unruly that you don't notice the difference, but the Eau de Quinine definitely has some holding power. When I use it it holds my hair in place for most of the day.

The Good, the connection goes much further back than James Bond. Eau de Quinine dates back to 1810. That's more like Napoleon, not James Bond.

Yes indeed! I've read up at Badger and Blade that it originated in 1810, and this, or similar products must have been used consistently since then. Even Napoleon might have likely used it like you've implied. Anyway, I'm not exactly expecting something with the hold of say, Brylcreem either (and that's not too much), so it'll most likely be a fragrance I use before going out the door. I've heard it could also work as a good aftershave as well, although I use an electric shaver on most days.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Boy this stuff sounds like a bear to work with. Thanks for posting though. It made up mind for me. I am staying with American Crew Pomade. :p ;)

Regards to all,

J

Murray's 3 bucks, AC 16 bucks...... worth the extra effort in my book!

You also get more Pomade in a Murray's Tin...

I have been using layrite. I like it okay, but it holds a little bit too hard. I like the idea of washing out easily though. I have been eyeing Grant's pomade for a while. Anybody had any experience with it?

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I have been using layrite. I like it okay, but it holds a little bit too hard. I like the idea of washing out easily though. I have been eyeing Grant's pomade for a while. Anybody had any experience with it?

I absolutely love Grant's. Grant's is everything that I had hoped Layrite would be. They also have a summer putty version that I like a great deal. Unlike Layrite, this stuff can be restyled if it gets out of place. After 20+ pomades over the years, my search has finally ended.

Jan

One of the Regulars
The new Grant's is pretty cool. It's different, to say the least.

If Layrite is too hard for you, you'd want to stay away from their Putty Pomade. Their original hold is a bit on the lighter side, so that may work out for you.

They're in the works of a new pomade, that's going to be a bit on the lighter side, and cheaper. So stay tuned for that, it may be something you're perfect for.

Kabel

Familiar Face
I'm using Black&White at the moment and am quite pleased. The best pomade i've used up untill now was SGB in the red tin (the smell on that stuff, wauw) , only downside was that it had this tendency to leave stains of itsself on lighter surfaces, plus the fact that my hair isn't the darkest so it gave it a yellow-ish finish. So now i'm on the Black&White, which works fine. Good pomade to live with.

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
The new Grant's is pretty cool. It's different, to say the least.

If Layrite is too hard for you, you'd want to stay away from their Putty Pomade. Their original hold is a bit on the lighter side, so that may work out for you.

They're in the works of a new pomade, that's going to be a bit on the lighter side, and cheaper. So stay tuned for that, it may be something you're perfect for.

I didnt find the Grants Putty to be anywhere near as hard as Layrite. Of course, im using the superhold Layrite. I also like the fact that it doesnt flake the way layrite does. Im really debating picking up about 4-6 tins of the putty for prosperity sake.

Jan

One of the Regulars
Do you use it little by little, or a hefty amount? I use Superhold as well, but the putty pomade is thicker in consistency and has a stronger hold. And with water-soluble pomade, stronger hold means more hardening.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Hey Jan, I've read on The Rebel Rouser that you made a post saying they might discontinue Royal Crown Pomade. Where did you hear about this, does the company have a website? I've tried to look into their site if they had one, but I've never been able to find it. That's too bad, as Royal Crown's probably my single favorite product right now. I use it nearly every day, although usually not so much of it; one or two dabs.

Jan

One of the Regulars
Not discontinue the product, but a certain container of the product.

The Royal Crown Pomade comes in an average sized container, then there's one that's more cylindrical shaped, that's supposed to be discontinued.

So don't worry, it's not the product itself, but the container!

mattfink

Practically Family
Royal Crown Pomade is made by J.R. Strickland in Memphis right? They were also making B&W a number of years back and then shipping it overseas...and then back here again.

Matte-Finish Pomades

Hello, I am new to pomades. Only been using them for about 8 months. And I still cant really decide what I like. I started with Royal Crown, I did not sit well with me though, because I broke out in acne along the forehead almost immediatly, being an adolescent, and it was just too greasy. I tried Murrays, same result. I switched to Layrite, stayed on that for about 4 months, its too stiff. I am looking for matte-finish (w/o sheen) hair pomades. Or if any shine, may it be very low shine. I perfer pomades that wash out easily, which I know is generally limited to Grant's, and Layrite. I have already mentioned Grant's before in the pomade thread, but I would like to try to get some more suggestions before spending 20 bucks on Grant's; I dont have a penny in my wallet, no job, and use my parents money. It would be sad if I wasn't 15. I like to do the James Dean swept back hair-do when I am not at church, funerals, weddings, confession, etc. If I am in a more formal setting, I do a side part. So I am looking for a light (or medium) hold pomade, with little or no sheen, that could work with the 'James Dean,' and a part. I have thick hair. All suggestion will be graciously taken. -Shaw

Alex

Practically Family
Hey Shaw,

May I suggest checking out The Rebel Rouser's Pomade Reviews. It's part of a fellow lounger's blog and he has some great reviews of a variety of different pomades.

As for your acne problem, I know all about that. Royal Crown hairdressing/pomade seem to make me break out, as does basically any pomade. I still use them though because I figured out how to avoid it. Just wipe off any and ALL access pomade from your forehead. Basically, make sure your bare skin is clear of any pomade. Might sound like an annoying thing to do, but really it's simple. I also broke out terribly after having put pomade in my sideburns, so I stay away from doing that as well. Worked for me, might work for you.

So why don't you want a slick sheen look? For matte finish pomades, all I can think of is Layrite or Crew. Maybe try some of the pomades that are aimed toward salons. Or maybe just use hairspray.

Hope this helps.
-Alex

Qirrel

Practically Family
I use american crew. The "high shine" isn't at all that shiny and i think they offer different grades of shine anyways. It being water based is a convenience too; easy to wash out and mixes well with greasy hair :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe