Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

polypropylene TechStraw????

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
It is plastic. It may be a good idea from a functional and price standpoint, but I don't think that those who have owned a real straw are going to bite. I'm currently looking for my first straw...there aren't any TechStraws on my list.

Flieger

Practically Family
I tried one of these plastic lids on last summer and it wasn't all that bad actually. It's perfect if you want a hat that you can put in your leg pocket or in the bottom of your backpack when you are out on "adventures".

/Flieger

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
We carry a synthetic straw called Drylon. It has been discussed on the Lounge before. It is an indistructable hat that was developed years ago. It was sold here in the US but the companies stopped selling it because it lasted to long ! Now it is available only from Germany by a company called Mayser.
The other type of "synthetic" straw being sold today is actualy being marketed by many of the companies here in the US as actual milan weave. But is isn't realy straw. Hatco sells them as does Bailey . I think that they are realy plastic. But I havent received one complaint from a customer . They do last.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
I've got a nice one, stingy brim, that I picked up last summer for a song at a thrift store. Nice looking & like new. Seems more like plastic than straw. Trav'ler by Country Gentleman.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
MattC said:
The hat I have is a Riverz Safari. May not be the same as the one you were looking at.

I was actually looking at the Riverz Delta. lol

I don't know how I feel about a plastic hat, but remember how annoying it was last summer when rain was in the forcast. I overheat very easily, so I need something breathable, like straw, but able to stand a little rain.

NB

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Matt, I've been looking at the Riverz Safari for field work, but I'm afriad here in the desert it would be much too hot, considering that it's basically plastic. How much warmer do you think yours was, compared to a conventional straw? Straws get beat up way too fast out here, because the straw just dries right out and starts cracking after a couple weeks under the sun. I've never been brave enough to risk taking a real Panama out the the field here, for fear I would just be throwing that money away, hence I've been considering this as an alternative (courtesy of a suggestion by Mike K.). The last thing I'm worried about is rain, and that's what this hat seems to be aimed at, the whitewater rafting and sailing crowd.

art92101

One of the Regulars
Riverz Delta

I too was looking at the Riverz hat as a potential beater, travel hat. Sounds like it can take a beating and be scrunched for travel, any users have comments on their experience would be much appreciated.

MattC

A-List Customer
Not that much hotter

Hey Mojave Jack--

My Riverz hat was not that much hotter than a straw. Earlier this year, I took it with my to Cambodia and Vietnam. I also had an old light flexible Milan. The Milan is a little hotter than a Motechristi or a Cunca, and the River was a little hotter than the Milan. Still, on days when I was going to be in the sun all day, I usually took the Riverz, because the brim was much wider. I'd give it a try.

Matt

Miss Lucy June

One of the Regulars
Polypropylene is plastic. And as per my studying for my Packaging Science exam tomorrow: Polypropylene was first used for the first time in packaging in 1954 :)

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Miss Lucy June said:
Polypropylene is plastic. And as per my studying for my Packaging Science exam tomorrow: Polypropylene was first used for the first time in packaging in 1954 :)

Smart and beautiful! I knew I liked this place. ;)

Davidson

One of the Regulars
If it doesn't have to look like straw...

Mojave Jack said:
Thanks, Matt! I may have to check one out. I'm still not sure I want a hat that may melt to my head on a really hot day, though! lol
Mojave Jack, my wife and I just received a pair of Tilley LTM8 Airflo Mesh hats to try to better cope with the coming Dallas summer. 3 1/2" - 2 1/2" dimensional brim, mesh sides to crown, UPF 50+, sweat-transfer headband. They look very well made. The only two reservations I might have for what you seem to want: under the brim is dark olive, which I like, but the hat is light khaki instead of something white or off-white. Also, the safari-style brim isn't very shapeable, if you need that. Same price range ($60) on ebay that I see for these Riverz.

I think you would melt before it would:D Besides, 2 yr "all perils" (theft, lost, stolen, destroyed) 50% replacement insurance comes with it. And they guarantee free replacement if it ever "wears out". Deserts not excluded:)

You could always put on a contrasting hat band if that made it work for you:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe