Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I've picked up a pocket watch or two at my local mall, they're pretty cheap and nice...I go for cheap because I have DREADFUL luck with watches...the whole "pocket" thing, results in them going through the washer [huh] not good.

LordBest

Practically Family
Caity Lynn said:
I've picked up a pocket watch or two at my local mall, they're pretty cheap and nice...I go for cheap because I have DREADFUL luck with watches...the whole "pocket" thing, results in them going through the washer [huh] not good.
I have this same problem. A cheap chinese replica railroad watch went through the wash, remarkably it still worked (for two days, until it went through again). A few people asked why the covers were so scraped and misformed, I told them it was a railroad timepiece and a locomotive went over it, thankfully the watch fared better than the engineer wearing it.
I should mention that the watch came out of the pocket and managed to get between the machine drumand the rest of the machine, hence the grinding and scraping (and $100 damage to the washer).

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
:eusa_doh: whooo, damage to the washer...not good!!! my watches, well, they came out in pieces...very upsetting. :(

Wil Tam

Practically Family
my sister has bad luck....

Caity Lynn said:
:eusa_doh: whooo, damage to the washer...not good!!! my watches, well, they came out in pieces...very upsetting. :(

with most of the watches she buys also .... I think the count is 5 now and this started a while ago .. the last was a Swiss Army [and those aren't suppose to break] but it was a lemon when she got it .. I told her to bring it back to get a brand new one since it was under warranty .. she did & the one that replaced it failed a week after the warranty expired ... the Omega I bought for her 5 years ago is still running strong :D

undertaker

Practically Family
For what it's worth, I like the Antiques. I regularly carry a 16s Waltham in a hunters case. It was made in 1896 and Is very dependable. I also carry from time to time an Elgin 18s from 1885, and an 1880 Hampden. I get good service from all of them. I would say the Elgins seem to be the easiest to get parts for though....

Regards,
J.S.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Caity Lynn said:

Oh, I knew there was a reason I didn't use them. I've bought a few for gifts, as my dad collects pocket watches, but I've never used them personally. That's probably why. I nearly washed a USB flash drive with some writings, a resume and some photographs on it a couple of days ago. So, I'd better attach any watches to me.

Getting back to the subject, I have found a few older Waltham and Elgin pocket watches in good shape for somewhat reasonable prices, at least compared to most others.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Finally Wearing My Pocket Watch

I'll be wearing it in the watch pocket on my tan khakis,clipped on to the belt.I was a bit hesitant to wear it after reading the Wiki on pocket watches,where it says the clip-to-the-belt kind are sure signs of cheap quartz watches (of course,mine is a cheap quartz watch so they may be on to something [huh] ).Does anyone else here wear them hooked on to the belt with casual clothes?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Shoes348.jpg

Slim Portly

One Too Many
cufflinkmaniac said:
I'll be wearing it in the watch pocket on my tan khakis,clipped on to the belt.I was a bit hesitant to wear it after reading the Wiki on pocket watches,where it says the clip-to-the-belt kind are sure signs of cheap quartz watches...
Utter poppycock.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
My Great Great Grandfather's Pocketwatch

Yesterday, after a long struggle of the last 9 years, some of which have been among the most difficult I have ever lived through with many trials, including the birth of my son, and the tragic death of my wife's mother, I graduated from the University of Michigan Medical School. As significant as this accomplishment was for me, an ADHD kid who barely graduated from HS, receiveing my Medical Degree was not the most moving and valued item I received yesterday. During the celebratory dinner after the commencement, my father stood up and presented me with my great-great-grandfather's gold pocket watch. I have admired this watch since I was a small boy. I had come to believe that I would never achieve anything that was worthy enough, in my father's eyes, to merit this heirloom. It is now mine and I await the day in which I will be the proud father and I, in turn, present it to my son. I now hold it for him.

The front cover whtih my Great Great Grandfather's Monogram:
watch1.jpg

The face (the hour hand is a bit out of position but it keeps excellent time):
watch3.jpg

The works, The Serial number dates it to 1888
watch2.jpg

I do not have a proper picture of the inside back cover. Engraved there are the names of the subsequent owners of the watch. All of whom have shared my name Thomas Carleton Hathaway. 1 was an honest gentleman farmer who died during the depression. 2 were army officers, 1 of which served in WWII, one of which attended military school while others were protesting the war in vietnam. This watch has witnessed the rise and fall of communism, the building of the empire state building and the fall of the Berlin wall. It began its life as one of the best timepieces in the world and has become an anachronism, more symbolic than practical. I am honored to posess it.

the Watch's original owner

DocMustang
Thomas C. Hathaway, IV, MD

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
That's a beautiful watch doc, and a great story. The symbolism of what the watch means to you and your family is extremely valuable. Congratulations on the degree!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
What a great story. I love Elgin pocketwatches of that vintage. I have two. Yours is extra special because its from within your family, and there is a known history. These two things are not always present. Wear it in the best of health.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
As above...

Slim Portly said:
I am honored that you have shared this with us.

As are we all. Congratulations on your degree: do no harm! And remember: it will only be an anachronism if you don't use it. Wear it daily, and proudly.

"Skeet"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe