Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Playboys on Parade!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PB.jpg

That's the Pinup of the Month.

Thin ribbon, bound edge Playboy?

I've looked & found newer versions with wider ribbons but not thinner.
Has anybody ever seen or owned a Playboy with a ribbon treatment like a Stratoliner/Open Road and the edge bound?

HatsEnough

Banned
I have one Stetson Playboy.

It's a 1950s version.

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

This hat is pretty close to perfect shape. Except one problem. There is a pretty stupid, big moth nip on the underside of the front of the brim. But that is about all I think is wrong with it.

Edit to add: By the way, I know the size tag says 6-7/8. I am a size 7 and the second I plopped this on my punkin, it fit perfectly. I never had to stretch it at all.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I remember seeing pics of a Wanderer that you posted - very nice hat, like a slightly classier Whippet.
The Wanderer also reminds me a little of my VS Sportaire. I wonder if that's where Art got the inspiration?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I'm always on the lookout for any vintage Stetson in size 7 3/4 and I just picked up this one from the 'bay. Maybe some of our other big-heads saw it, too. The sweat says its a Playboy but it looks more like an OR or a Strat. Got a bound brim and a thin ribbon. I can't wait to see what I've actually purchased. One thing for sure...its got to go to Optimo for a cleaning an a reblocking.

486213189_tp.jpg

486213279_o.jpg

AF

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
It isn't in my hands yet...just bought it last night...but in the auction photos it appears to be all original.

AF

Yeah, I saw that one too but was afraid of it due to the irregularities (bound edge, ribbon treatment). It would have been a little big on me but if I was sure it was a Playboy I would have bid on it. I really liked the 7 3/8 Silverbelly that sold a few days ago for over $200.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
My vintage Playboy arrived yesterday. One thing is for sure...it is a solid size 7 3/4 LO. It has to be roomiest vintage hat I've ever bought. It is blue/grey in color…something different from my normal silverbelly preference. I think it will look great with jeans or with khakis and a blue blazer. Other than a few moth bites, it is in pretty good condition. The sweat is still soft and not "wavy". The liner has yellowed a bit, but is still in good condition.

Everything appears to be original to the hat. The ribbon is exactly the same width as the ribbons on my Open Roads and my various Open Road clones. The brim is bound in grosgrain to match the ribbon...just like an OR. Truthfully, except for the word "Playboy" stamped into the sweatband, this hat looks for all the world like an Open Road or a Stratoliner.

I didn't take any photos but, instead, immediately shipped it off to Optimo for cleaning and re-blocking. I couldn't tell what kind of bash it originally had. It was so deformed when it arrived, it looked like something Ed Norton would wear. So I asked Optimo to block it as a teardrop fedora. I'll post photos in a few weeks when the hat comes home from Chicago.

AF

T Rick

Practically Family
Wow, no before pics? Well, there's the auction pics I suppose. I'd have been hard pressed to let loose of one before shooting it. Whatever it turns out, great snag! (That would be a great color in an OR, which is the style it appears to be). And if it's an odd variant of the Playboy, that much rarer!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
It was shipped to my office and I didn't have a camera available...other than my cell phone. I just took the hat out of the box it came in, inspected it, made sure it was a 7 3/4 and not a 6 3/4, changed the address on the box and shipped it to Optimo. Hopefully, it left in the afternoon mail.

Thinking about it now, I don't know why I was in such a hurry. I won't be able to wear the hat until late September, anyhow. :confused:

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82