Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pictures of Old Christy's Adventurers Wanted.

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
Should I get a Christy's "Adventurer"

Should I? I mean, I want a hat that "behaves" like the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" fedora? Does it? What can be customized for the "Adventurer" for it to be like "Raiders"?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well, the Christy's is rabbit fur, so the felt will behave more like the screen hat than a beaver hat.

That having been said, the Christy's is not the most resilient Indy hat out there. I have an Adventurer, and I like it, but it's not a hat I would want to get wet or anything.

If you can expand your budget a little bit, there are a few folks offering custom Indy hats; Penman, Garrison Hatters, Adventurebilt is offering a "Raiders" rabbit hat now as well.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
If you really want to do some research, go over to Club Obi Wan at Indygear.com

My question for you is, how do you mean "behave?" If you mean the floppier felt and such, then you're on the right track. If you mean that it never seems to die, then no.

My opinion is that the Adventurer is the best "softt" Indy hat you can get. It can be made to look Raiders like with the right pinch, and maybe a slight trimming of the brim. It is also made from similar felt to the movie hat. Sable is the color you want, as well.

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
Not-Bogart13,

Thanks. What I meant by "behave" is the floppier felt. I am also worried, that, if I get this hat, I won't bash it correctly and it will look like something other than "Raiders." (I've never bashed a hat before)

So, If I get it, I will get it in Sable.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The nice thing about bashing is that you can do it over and over again, as long as you dont allow any of them to set too long. Its fun to do, playing with the various curves of your hat.

theinterchange

One Too Many
I've stated that I don't care for the Adventurer after hearing other folks reviews, but that really doesn't mean much if YOU want one.

My thoughts are, if you want a hat and can afford it, go for it or you'll likely regret it. At least that's how I approach my hat buying.

What would be your hold up, if I may ask?

Randy

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
scottyrocks said:
The nice thing about bashing is that you can do it over and over again, as long as you dont allow any of them to set too long. Its fun to do, playing with the various curves of your hat.

One warning about bashing it Raiders style. Don't do the sharp front pinch-crease until you know you have it in the right place. That tight squeezing is hard to completely undo, and tends to leave a mark if you try to change it. You can do it most of the way, but then wait a couple of days to be sure you are confident with it's location. Then, set it in the rest of the way.

Fireman772

New in Town
So I'm new to this forum, and though I am not new to hats (I'm a Texan, so I was born in a hat), I am one of the select few that likes to buy cheap hats, second-handers, and even an occasional wool throw-away. I like my hats to look old, worn, and salty around the ribbon. So recently I purchased what most people consider the least durable "Indy" hat on the market: the Christy's Adventurer (from adVintage Fedoras for about $120, including shipping). I did this because I wanted something that looked screen accurate (at least more so than my 40's Stetson Stetsonian), but could be purchased on a PRN FF/EMT-B budget. I would love a Penman, for example, but that will have to wait until I'm full-time, finished with Paramedic school, and the 2 year old is out of college. (Ok, so they're not THAT expensive, but they seem to be when one has to pinch pennies for a while just to buy a CHEAP hat.) So in the meantime, I decided to go with an inferior, "store-bought," but still wearable hat. (And for the record, I didn't want an Akubra Fed IV for the simple reason that I liked the look of the Christy's more.)

So here's my question: does anyone else here have any pictures of Christy's Adventurers after some miles have been put on them? I would like to have an idea of how this hat will look in a year or more. I don't plan on being as hard on this hat as I was even on my Dorfman (we've all made mistakes), but I don't plan to baby it, either. All input is appreciated. Thanks!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
So I'm new to this forum, and though I am not new to hats (I'm a Texan, so I was born in a hat), I am one of the select few that likes to buy cheap hats, second-handers, and even an occasional wool throw-away. I like my hats to look old, worn, and salty around the ribbon. So recently I purchased what most people consider the least durable "Indy" hat on the market: the Christy's Adventurer (from adVintage Fedoras for about $120, including shipping). I did this because I wanted something that looked screen accurate (at least more so than my 40's Stetson Stetsonian), but could be purchased on a PRN FF/EMT-B budget. I would love a Penman, for example, but that will have to wait until I'm full-time, finished with Paramedic school, and the 2 year old is out of college. (Ok, so they're not THAT expensive, but they seem to be when one has to pinch pennies for a while just to buy a CHEAP hat.) So in the meantime, I decided to go with an inferior, "store-bought," but still wearable hat. (And for the record, I didn't want an Akubra Fed IV for the simple reason that I liked the look of the Christy's more.)

So here's my question: does anyone else here have any pictures of Christy's Adventurers after some miles have been put on them? I would like to have an idea of how this hat will look in a year or more. I don't plan on being as hard on this hat as I was even on my Dorfman (we've all made mistakes), but I don't plan to baby it, either. All input is appreciated. Thanks!

No pictures of the hat you seek....but what size are you?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I am a size 7 (56 cm), sometimes 6 7/8 (55 cm).

At that size you can come across some nice vintage hats at pretty decent prices, a lot less than one would pay for in the larger sizes. Some, including myself, have been buying Westerns and having them converted to fedoras and Indy type hats. The felt in the Westerns, like Resistol Stagecoaches, are really nice and dense, and they would make for some tough, rugged Indy hats. The felt in a lot of those vintage Westerns are better than the Indy clones you'd buy off the shelf. In converting Westerns you can get better felt at a cheaper cost compared to buying an Indy clone off the shelf or having one custom made....(but if I were to have an Indy custom made though, I would go with Garrison).

Here's a few pics of my 4X Resistol Stagecoach Western that was converted to an Indy type hat. The conversion was done by a fellow lounger, John Galt....This hat will handle just about anything you throw at it. It would be perfect for Fall hiking and camping adventures.

Indy_03.jpg

Indy_01.jpg

Indy_02.jpg

Indy_04.jpg

Indy_05.jpg

Conversion_02.jpg

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am 7-1/8 (so pretty close to that 7) and, yes, I wear nothing but vintage.

Honestly, with that size bean, you can buy ten vintage lids for the cost of a single Christy's. And the difference is profound.
Christy's modern hats vs. almost anything vintage is like comparing apples and penguins.
Different taxonomy entirely. :hand:

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
I wear my apples and eschew those penguins, generally. But I am lucky size-wise, for sure. However, I do see some use for contemporary wares and I agree that those with larger sizes are probably best advised to have their hats made to specifications because finding suitable specimens. I think if I had a larger size I would likely have my hats made for me by by Art or someone.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Hey Fireman - I'm a fan of the Indy hats too, although I've yet to watch one of the films.

Of course, the obvious budget priced Indiana Jones hat is the Akubra, which you already said isn't for you.

Here are a couple of other good options though:

First, since you live in Texas, there is Peters Brothers Hats in Ft. Worth. They were one of the first hat stores to get involved in the Indyclone business. I'm not sure what their pricing is like, but I've visited their store several times (the company I work for is based in FTW, so I get there quite often) and the quality of their hats is really good.

The other good option is the custom hats from David Garrison: http://www.garrisonhatters.com/ David's hats are well known for being close to the Raiders design at a super bargain price. I have one that is in its third season of being my outdoor hiking hat and it is bearing up really well.

I'd rate John Penman as making the best Indy hats (with Steve Delk second) and John is about to launch a new line of Raiders style hats. I don't know what his pricing is for these, but might be worth saving for.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wear my apples and eschew those penguins, generally. But I am lucky size-wise, for sure. However, I do see some use for contemporary wares and I agree that those with larger sizes are probably best advised to have their hats made to specifications because finding suitable specimens. I think if I had a larger size I would likely have my hats made for me by by Art or someone.

To amass any significant number of vintage larger sizes take time, patience, $$$ and luck, oh and a good hand with, & a willingness to master, a hat stretcher is very helpful too.
But if you want the icons, e.g.- Open Road, Strat, Playboy, Hanover Square, Gay Prince, Rainbow, Foxhound et al.. Other than beating the bushes locally , I dunno ...
Making new hats of old felt- refurbs/conversions is another alternative, I might suggest, that is almost always cheaper than full-on bespoke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe