Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

John Galt

Vendor
Here's a close up of Hatter4's hat ruler, which is a J.B. Mast. I've adjusted the contrast & sharpness a bit for detail of the sizing.

Thanks for the photo, Oliver. I'm building a spreadsheet of the various hat/head size charts from the hat rulers I've seen, and will post it in the near future.

tusubanu.jpg

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
All right, this has been an ongoing project of mine, and I have not started a real analysis, but here's a spreadsheet of 7 vintage hat rulers & their hat/head size charts. Resistol is partial because there was no further information on the ruler.

Stevens, JB Mast, RP Kenyon, and Gauss-Langenberg appear identical when conformed for sizes represented, and the Hart's slide out is substantially similar enough to make me want to go back & look again after tweaking the photo, to see if I misread it.

As a generalization, hat circumference is 7/8 to 1" larger than head circumference.

I've got this in an excel spreadsheet if anyone wants to crunch the data a little more.

Thanks to Hatter4 and everyone else who posted photos. Please post any unrepresented here...

u6ute2yv.jpg
ygyquruq.jpg

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
John, I know you posted me about my ruler - and I haven't replied to that ... sorry! I'll try to take a pic a little later today :)

Actually mine has a couple of oddities: Hat-size for 6-1/4 is 20-5/4". Hat-size for 6-3/8 is 21" - which is 1/8" less than 20-5/4" (= 21-1/4").

Furthermore it jumps from size 7-5/8 to 7-5/4 - but 7-5/4 equals 8-1/4!

Quite a funny ruler ... not following standard rules. Rulers rules! lol

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Here's my ruler (it has no company designation):

Ruler.jpg

Note the last number for "Size": 7-5/4 - and the "Head" number for 6-1/4: 20-5/4" - and the "Hat" number for 6-7/8: 22-5/4" - and "Head" number for 7-1/4: 22-5/4".

Pretty funny ruler =)

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks Olė, I'll add it to my spreadsheet.

MOK, I looked for a while, but only got about 1/2 way through this thread. I will keep scanning...

John Galt

Vendor
Well, I guess the 1/2 inch increments don't directly match up, but rather, fall between the sizes. This stretcher - including the size plate itself - is very much like my stretcher. Enough so that I am now sure mine is also a Garvé. Here is the size plate from my stretcher:

u4eqapy3.jpg

Incidentally, my size plate had a very similar sort of patina that made it difficult to read, and I successfully cleaned it with white vinegar. The acid content is low enough (I believe) not to damage the plate, while removing the oxidation that obscured its' legibility.

Other Garvé stretchers from an internet search:

gu6u2eha.jpg

9uradate.jpg

devezazy.jpg

nydu9atu.jpg

This last one is substantially identical to mine...

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Here's a similar design by Reslaw Hats of London (by way of Luton), owned by Paul Walser & Co. Ltd. (get it?) in business from 1906 to 1960's. According to the author of the book Hatatorium, the company originally focused on straws (thus the factory in Luton) but eventually was a major supplier of fur felts and straw hat bodies to milliners.

Edit - A blog I found states the company continued until 2009, but apparently did not use the "Reslaw" trademark...

hy3erequ.jpg

ju4erupa.jpg

nu2u6u8u.jpg

Last edited:

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
John: I have two wooden stretchers like that. The bigger one has no measurement marks and on the bottom it says "Made in France". The smaller one doesn't say who the manuacturer is, but I believe it is the one listed in Hatters Supply, but it has measurements etched in - shown in the picture. IMG_1113.JPG IMG_1114.JPG

John Galt

Vendor
Very cool. I can't make out all of the measurements, and like my stretcher, there does not seem to be direct identity between sizes & measurements, but very cool!

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This reminds me - I need to send my 6 1/2 NOS panel cap to have it stretched to a 6 7/8-7. Think it'll work with one of those stretchers?

Mr.Astor

Banned
Dane, I noticed you changed your avatar, very nice,you surely must be impressed with your creation!! Nice job. Mike is a true southern gentlemen.

This reminds me - I need to send my 6 1/2 NOS panel cap to have it stretched to a 6 7/8-7. Think it'll work with one of those stretchers?

I'm not sure how you could get the fabric components and seams to expand an inch and a quarter without shredding and tearing. I've coaxed a few hats up a size. 3-4 sizes is going to be a stretch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe