Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
How many naive young boys haven't been sent to the tool shop during the first week at the new apprenticeship - just to get a can of bubble-air for spirit levels, a case of punch marks or a new blade for the re-plane? Alan, I think you're an old "steamer punk" :D

Next project! :)

10317166574_42e07916f3_o.jpg

Lotsahats

One Too Many
How many naive young boys haven't been sent to the tool shop during the first week at the new apprenticeship - just to get a can of bubble-air for spirit levels, a case of punch marks or a new blade for the re-plane? Alan, I think you're an old "steamer punk" :D

I recall being sent to fetch a left-handed smoke-shifter and 50' of shore line. I was a naive lad at one point...

When I worked as a waiter in the Catskills in my teens, some guests told me I had a feebly growing down on my chin. Took me the whole summer to figure it out.

According to the eBay descriptions, I have quite a collection of steam punk hats, but I'm not old... just gently worn.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Next project! :)

10317166574_42e07916f3_o.jpg

Wow, Steve! Is that the 78 RPM version? Must be a slightly updated version of the lathe, Ralph Peer recorded Carter Family on in August 1927! :D

At my first job the stagemanager sent a brand new colleague to the tools shop for a bucket of punch marks. More than two hours later he returned with a tin bucket completely covered with punch marks ... supplemented by a quite substantial bill. It was back in the late 70s, and they say the guy in the shop never spoke another word - due to laughter! Sometimes "the fat lady" hits the absolutely right note lol

John Galt

Vendor

I was a logger as a young man and it was a "bag of choker holes" that the newbies were sent to fetch.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

I recall being sent to fetch a left-handed smoke-shifter and 50' of shore line. I was a naive lad at one point...

A science teacher at my high school had an eye-roll provoking habit of sending some poor unsuspecting pimply faced sophomore to the lab down the hall to fetch a fallopian tube. That practice came to a halt when one such acne-afflicted youngster said something to the effect of, "Sure, and then you can put it in your desk drawer, seeings how that's about as close to one as you'll ever get."

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
[W]ithout a solid, flat surface running from one end of the tool the other, holding the tool down, to keep the blade in the felt, will require a bit more attention on the part of the operator. And without a plate to go under the brim, the blade will cut into whatever work surface you're using.

I've been thinking about this, and may modify to add a heavier handle that slides on the scale. That will address the control issue by putting the handle right over the cutting blade, & also give me something solid to which the blade and plate can attach.

bloc

One of the Regulars
My rounding jack prototype. The handle & head of this one are made of hickory. It still needs a little finish sanding, polyurethane, drilling, gluing & screwing, but the structure is all there. It will accept just about any "exacto" type cutting implement, and has a brass scale that goes to about 9 inches. It does not yet have the brass adjusters for cutting dimensional brims, but that may be an option at some point in the future if I develop the methodology or find a machinist who could make them for me at a reasonable price.

I believe that I can make & sell these for $175.00 (which is $100 less than the going rate for the lowest end rounding jacks available elsewhere) without losing money. Your thoughts?

sygutyse.jpg

Wow, that is very impressive. I have yet to use one, so I can't comment on the precise mechanics of it but to have that skill is a wonderful thing :eusa_clap

John Galt

Vendor
Wow, that is very impressive. I have yet to use one, so I can't comment on the precise mechanics of it but to have that skill is a wonderful thing :eusa_clap

Thanks, but skill is relative. I am not a machinist so I scavenged the hardware from another device, made the head based on photos, and added the handle as a practical necessity.

There are people who have real skill & art in this area and sell their tools at prices reflecting that fact. I do not hold myself out as approaching that level, or intend to sell at such prices when I have a marketable product. Nutshell: my main skill at work here is actually problem-solving ;-)

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
I have a question. Is this a hat creaser or what do you think it is? I have several hat creasers and this one is different. It is made out of wood. I got it in with a bunch of blocks that I bought.
IMG_0588_zps06fc0eee.jpg IMG_0589_zps59a22410.jpg IMG_0590_zpscf416787.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I first use some dishwash in water. Then I scrub the block/flange with different solvents like den. alcohol, naphta and turpentine - followed by a wash in some dishwash and a thorough rinse. After complete drying I end the restoration process with a sanding and some polyurethane lacquer. It's the most fantastic stuff people use on these items [huh]

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
So polyurethane is okay to use? Withstands the steam and heat during the blocking process? No issues with felt?I'm not a woodworker, so I'm ignorant to that stuff.

I have a sander, so I will sand the blocks that need it most. Is it okay to use filler, as well? If so, are there preferred brands pr types I should consider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

John Galt

Vendor
Is it okay to use filler, as well? If so, are there preferred brands pr types I should consider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

A&A, I have not even begun to clean most of my blocks, so appreciate your question & Ole's answer. As for filler, I generally make my own for most projects with a good wood glue and sawdust from my sander's dust bag. This is a good way to go when you want to match the wood (which is why I started doing it when working with some mahogany), but it also seems to result in a better patch, which is why I keep doing it.

[edit] Incidentally, I would (and will) sand them by hand to mitigate against the risk of flat spots.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82