Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pencil Mustache

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Indeed. There are some guys who, for whatever reason, look utterly different with a mustache than without. My grandfather grow a Flynn-esque mustache in his 40s and kept it until he died in his 50s, yet despite him being cleanshaven most of his life, and the majority of the existing photos of him showing him cleansshaven, his mustache kind of defined his image.

Grandpa, circa 1940:
5633599094_e336003304_b.jpg

1972:
5429546173_3aaa02b4a8_b.jpg

Last edited:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I went through this thread and I saw already one photo of Warren Williams, but since he is one of my very favorite actors of the 1930s I shall post two more!:D

one of the best pencil moustaches of the era!
WarrenWilliam.jpg

hetleyhdqallaqly.jpg
nice brogues too :p

SteveAS

Practically Family
I first grew a short mustache to play John Dillinger for Halloween, but, to my surprise, my girlfriend is asking me to keep it for a while. I'm trying to grow a nice pencil, but my blond, red, and grey facial hair seems to be growing in very wiry and too light in color. In this photo, it's had nine days growth.

Any tips on getting this to look more like Errol's?

shot_1320257712911.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I went through this thread and I saw already one photo of Warren Williams, but since he is one of my very favorite actors of the 1930s I shall post two more!:D

one of the best pencil moustaches of the era!
WarrenWilliam.jpg

hetleyhdqallaqly.jpg
nice brogues too :p

Ultimate 30s cool with a bit lothario/matinee idol look...BTW those are spectators or more probably co-respondent shoes looking at that bloke...:D

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
I first grew a short mustache to play John Dillinger for Halloween, but, to my surprise, my girlfriend is asking me to keep it for a while. I'm trying to grow a nice pencil, but my blond, red, and grey facial hair seems to be growing in very wiry and too light in color. In this photo, it's had nine days growth.

Any tips on getting this to look more like Errol's?

shot_1320257712911.jpg

You look very much like my great grandfather, almost eerily so. Even your choice in glasses is very similar:
img353fixed1copy.jpg

grandpah.jpg

42219451.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
What a great thread! :eusa_clap I'm loving everybody's photos! Thank you for posting!

FedoraFan112390 your great great uncle's wife was absolutely beautiful! what a fantastic couple!

cookie I couldn't agree more, Warren Williams is ultimate 30s cool :D

These are some more "recent" moustaches!

Playwright Tennessee Williams
tennessee-williams-playwright--large-msg-114170400305-2.jpg

Bob Dylan
bob-dylan-20.jpg

and last but not least, yes Brando, he gave it a go too!:D

tumblr_lomk990TSW1qmlai6o1_500.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Surely it was Clark Gable who had the best pencil mustache of the Era?

Oh yes! Gable had a nice moustache indeed..... but I guess it all boils down to personal taste. - Though Warren William never quite achieved top level star status, his looks did help him break into the ranks of leading men, however briefly, his talent, good looks and presence ( and moustache I might add hehe ;)) made him one of Hollywood’s more dependable actors. -
He is one of my favorites !

isn't that nice!:D
060-warren-william.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe