Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Past the Golden Age: 1960-70

poetman

A-List Customer
Watching The President's Men made me want to watch more great films from/about this era. What good films can you recommend that were shot or set between 1960-1979?

Thanks!!

Day of the Jackal (1973)
Set in 1963, Edward Fox plays "The Jackal" an assassin and master-of-disguise who's been hired by a right-wing group to assassinate French president Charles DeGaulle.

The Odessa File (1973)
Trivia: Featured in the movie was this song. It was one of Andrew Lloyd Webber's early compositions.

Perry Como -- Christmas Dream
[video=youtube;OOmNeQHyLA4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOmNeQHyLA4[/video]

Last edited:

Gene

Practically Family
Bullitt, The French Connection, Annie Hall, Dr. Strangelove, Blow-Up, Blazing Saddles, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Serpico, Sleeper, 8 1/2, Cool Hand Luke, The Battle of Algiers...

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Well I'm big into Hammer Studios productions, and some you probably wouldn't watch like Sugar Hill (zombie movie with George Jefferson's mother as a voodoo woman LOL), Switch Blade Sisters, and The Party with Peter Sellers (situational comedy).
Uh to be safe I'll say "The Odd Couple."
Although, if you like suspense and action, "Bullitt" is a great film, McQueen is top of his game in this movie I think, and the super long car chase is worth it. *Gene beat me by 2 minutes!
Let me think about this, I've seen a lot of 60's and 70's films.

Connery

One Too Many
Three Days of the Condor (1976) Robert Redford, Faye Dunaway. Directed by Sydney Pollack. "Redford plays a reader for U.S. intelligence who becomes a hunted man after he is not among the victims of a mass murder of his colleagues. Faye Dunaway plays a frightened and mystified woman whom he forces to conceal him, and Max von Sydow as a professional assassin." Set in post Vietnam Post Watergate era.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Let's not forget the fantastic foreign films from the 60's & 70's - A Bout De Souffle, Belle De Jour, Playtime, Wake in Fright, Picnic at hanging Rock, The adventures of Barry McKenzie (ha!).

Last edited:
Used Cars (1980)
The quintessential comedy about the '70s as I remember it. lol

[video=youtube;REa2DDzChGM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REa2DDzChGM&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

Marla

A-List Customer
I'd like to suggest a little-known film called The Effect of Gamma Rays On Man-In-The-Moon Marigolds (1972). You'll get the title if you watch the film. It's my second favorite movie of the '70s after Harold and Maude.

Haversack

One Too Many
For me, the quintessential film about the 1960s and one of the three most subversive films on the Cold War is The President's Analyst, made in 1967. James Coburn is the title character and is the man that every intelligence shop in the world is out to kill or control. (Including the Canadian secret service.) In his Simplicissimus-like journey on the run, Coburn encounters suburbia, the counter-culture, and the institution that everyone in the world hates.

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
Here is a link to someone's best movies of the 1960's. I've seen every one of them and would recommend all of them. Some of them have already been listed earlier.

http://aslan369.tripod.com/Movie/60s/Best60.html

A few personal favorites that I'd recommend are The Dirty Dozen (if you like war movies), Support Your Local Sheriff (great western parody), The Magnificent Seven, McClintock, Days of Wine and Roses, Spartacus, and Elmer Gantry. The Great Escape, and The Music Man.

My favorites from the 1970's in addition to those already listed are Patton, The Godfather II, Kelly's Heroes, Big Jake, The Shootist, The Exorcist, The Pink Panther Strikes Again, Midnight Express, The In-Laws, Deliverance, Slapshot, The Bad News Bears. I could go on for quite awhile.

I'd much rather watch movies from the 1940's through the 1970's. There hasn't been a whole lot worth watching since then in my estimation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe