Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pan's Labyrinth

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
you know, every time I've read a quote from Roger Ebert, it often just read, "Two thumbs up". But in this preview, just seeing that he said, "Beautiful and Exhilarating", that is convincing enough! Never underestimate a film director's abilities!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I LOVE Guillermo Del Toro.

I consider him the Mexican Peter Jackson lol (in looks as well).

For those interested in other films of his in this vein, check out The Devil's Backbone. Its one of my favorite flicks.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0256009/
B000066C6I.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056712392_.jpg

Also, hes started work on Hellboy 2. Yay!

LD

Feraud

Bartender
Del Toro is definitely a fine filmmaker. The Devil's Backbone is a great film! It blows away just about all current horror/thriller films.
Cronos is another good one. I was glad to read he is doing Hellboy2.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
I was trying to describe the trailer to a friend of mine the other night I think I said "Schindler's List" meets "the Chronicles of Narnia".

Good stuff! Now I am going to have to go find the Devil's Backbone!

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR 100%

1. Story A+++ :eusa_clap

2. Acting A+++ :eusa_clap

2. Costumes A+ :eusa_clap

3. Cinematography A+++ :eusa_clap

4. Wow Factor A+++ :eusa_clap

SC ;)

PS This film is 100% NOT for small children!!!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I saw this last night and, while it was amazing and I would highly recommend seeing it, I don't think I've spent as much time looking at my shoes in a film since Goodfellas. Maybe I'm a wuss, but I was really overwhelmed by the violence. Overall it served the story but there were a couple of scenes I thought were just gratutious (I fear spoilers so I won't list them here until the film has been out for awhile longer).

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
The music, the imagery, the cinematics...everything was glorious! If you like dark, sophisticated, powerful, suspensful, violent films, go see this now!

Matt

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
I have been DYING to see this movie. I have only seen Hellboy as of yet, a very long time ago, but I did enjoy it.

I think I'll have to squeeze in a trip to the theater sometime this week. I saw a poster for it today, actually.

imoldfashioned said:
Maybe I'm a wuss, but I was really overwhelmed by the violence. Overall it served the story but there were a couple of scenes I thought were just gratutious ...

Yes, I felt the same way about Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ".

Overall, I thought that "Pan's Labyrinth" was a beautiful, beautiful film, very honest and with very important lessons.

The Captain reminded me of the secret police under my own country's dictatorship. His type of character is the same in every nation.

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
I just got back from seeing this.

This movie was FANTASTIC. Very dark, very intense, heavy and beautiful to watch. The comparison mentioned about it being "Schindler's List" meets "The Chronicles or Narnia" is right on. I'm also usually very picky about special effects but have no complaints here whatsoever.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Wow, Finally got a chance to view this film. I hadnt realized it is a period piece.
Very impressed on how such a tragic , dark story could work its way out as such a lovely movie.
Certainly hope it wins something at the Academy Awards.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We've been running this for a week now, with another week to go, and I can say it's a picture that really needs to be seen more than once to be fully appreciated. It's got that much texture to it -- and that much detail. The violence, although extreme in spots, is necessary to the plot -- and the little girl who plays the lead is nothing short of a marvel. *See it.* Just leave the kids at home.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I also just saw it this week when it came to my local recently restored 1930 movie palace, which runs art-house films and concert programs these days.

I thought it was an exceptional film, and have found myself thinking about it at odd moments ever since seeing it, which is always a good sign. I almost took my teenage kids to see it, but am glad that I didn't, as the real-world brutality in the film is pretty extreme and probably would have been too rough for my daughter.

As Lizzie said, there's a lot there - I am looking forward to seeing it again sometime.

It's a wonderful dark fairy tale (as the original fairy tales were) and its dream-logic images have enormous power. For once, a film that's really as outstanding as the hype says it is! (Not that I haven't also seen some other great foreign-language films over the last year, including the also Oscar-nominated "The Lives of Others" - which won - "Volver", and "Water".)

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
We've been running this for a week now, with another week to go, and I can say it's a picture that really needs to be seen more than once to be fully appreciated. It's got that much texture to it -- and that much detail. The violence, although extreme in spots, is necessary to the plot -- and the little girl who plays the lead is nothing short of a marvel. *See it.* Just leave the kids at home.

Amen, Lizzie!

I've seen it four times now... :eek: Mostly because I convinced friends to see it and ended up taking them!

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe