Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
My panama I bought in the spring was getting the worse for wear, so I reshaped it, cleaned it a bit (not well, I don't know how to do it right), and added a ribbon.

Before:
IMG_8546.jpg

After:
Photo52-1.jpg

Edit: For comparison, my new brisa.
Photo50.jpg

Reactions: DRB

CRH

Call Me a Cab
I think your PB looks better after the rain, Rodkins, very similar to how my PB Cuenca looks lately and it's been wet several times.

I usually give a damp - if it's totally soaked this may take more attention as it drys - Panama a little massage around the brim and brim break and let it dry brim up. This is a good time to make any crown adjustments also. If the hat it totally soaked then I put it on a stretcher to dry.

I just love the way the paja feels when it's a little damp even if it's just from the steam off my head.

Any hat worth it's salt, straw or felt, will see an occasional rain. No big deal, just take care of it.

:D Rain water is always best, felt or straw. :D

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. It definitely feels better. I know they are going to get rained on at times...I live in central Florida. I'm just a newbie and it makes me nervous. I'm sure I will feel more comfortable with experience.

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
Me Too!

Rodkins said:
I'm told I can still wear these after Labor Day in Florida...
6709cff2.jpg

Yea ... Me Too ... seeing it is 94F today :eek: Love my Panama ... but I am ready to get out my new felt though!!!!!

Kk

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Kkaderly said:
Love my Panama ... but I am ready to get out my new felt though!

The equinox is upon us. And though it is still warm down here in Texas, I'm now putting away some summer hats.

I love the look of the wobbly brim, EggHead. Leave it like that! ;)

thebroker

One of the Regulars
New PB Hats!

I got a box from Panama Bob in this morning's mail! I picked up an Optimo and a Quevedo, and both are wonderful hats...as always, a very good value for the bucks. PB is having a great end-of-summer sale, so I'd encourage anybody looking for a high quality inexpensive panama to shoot him an email.

Sure, it's officially fall, but the temp is 91 here today, so I'm wearing straw anyway! :)

CRH

Call Me a Cab
EggHead said:
64 degrees here in San Francisco, partly sunny (or cloudy), so wearing my panama.
a3gh6u.jpg

Very cool, EggHead. Methinks Panamas handle their lumps and wrinkles in a way that no other fabric be it animal or plant based can match.

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
Ultrafino

Just got a shipment from Ultrafino Panama Hats ... I know, I know -- they get kicked around on this board, and I do love my Panama Bobs. But I registered for Ultrafino's free hat drawing ages ago and I finally won it recently. Of course, my "free" hat ended up costing about 30 clams after the shipping and an upcharge for the ribbon I wanted. Finally came today after a couple weeks in the mail ... almost couldn't figure out how to open the danged box. The hat was sealed inside a fiberboard hat box (covered with about 500 Ecuadorean postage stamps) with no apparent opening, so I had to slice it open.

The hat's not bad -- typical entry-level Cuenca. Coloring's a bit odd, not like the natural look of Panama Bob's hats. It'll make a good knocking-around hat, and with a freak warm snap here in Chicago, I can actually wear it out of straw season for the next few days.

This one pretty much rounds out my straw-hat needs for the foreseeable future, but if I ever need another one, I expect to be going to Panama Bob.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Here's the latest offering from Brent Black (sold thru Hartford York) in Montecristi's. It's a VERY nice looking Pork-Pie ! :) Should apeal to several here except as with most of BB's hats it's VERY pricey ! It's listed at $995.00 US ! But it does look nice :)

SuperFeature_Porkpie_Hat1.jpg

One Too Many
Here's the latest offering from Brent Black (sold thru Hartford York) in Montecristi's. It's a VERY nice looking Pork-Pie ! :) Should apeal to several here except as with most of BB's hats it's VERY pricey ! It's listed at $995.00 US ! But it does look nice :)

SuperFeature_Porkpie_Hat1.jpg
Wow¡¡¡¡ This is a great hat, only needs the model, sure will look fine ¡¡¡¡¡

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
New Panamabob by Art arrived today. Finest Semi Calado ever. Thanks Bob...for less than $200 this is a fine piece!

201030October141.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe