Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

WineGuy

A-List Customer
scaber said:
Well I finally did it. I pulled the trigger and just ordered my first Panama. I was going to buy a new hat and couldn't decide between an Akubra traveler felt and a panama but I went with the Panama due to the fact that I live in Florida and can wear it year round. I just have to watch out for the rain. I'm excited to have purchased a Panama Bob Montecristi Fino center dent. I'll certainly post pictures when it arrives. Now I'll have to start saving for that Akubra.

Well you could not have purchased your Montecristi from a better vender, you are already starting top tier. Can't wait to see pics.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
carouselvic said:
A wise choice Grasshopper!
:arated: No one in their right mind would ever regret a Montecristi choice - but beware, as they are quite addictive...like BobC and Whippets, or Buler and anything that's high-quality and vintage. lol

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
scaber said:
I was going to buy a new hat and couldn't decide between an Akubra traveler felt and a panama ... Now I'll have to start saving for that Akubra.

Save for your next Panama, buy the Akubra with the change. No bad meaning here - save as long as you can and buy the best level of Panama next ... you`ll never regret that, no matter how long it takes...;) BUT, GREAT first choice

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Don't put the Panama Canal into storage just yet

Summer has just arrived Downunder so I donned my 1950's (my best guess) vintage Stetson "Genuine Panama". It's a very fine weave and would have been an expensive lid in its day. This one is going to be a summer favourite.

Brim 2 5/8
Crown 4 6/8 front; 3 5/8 back
Ribbon 0 3/8 black
Sweat 1 1/2
Retailer M & K Hatters, 359 So Main, Los Angeles

SDC10388.jpg
SDC10390.jpg
SDC10391.jpg
SDC10392.jpg
SDC10387.jpg

Reactions: DRB

RBH

Bartender
Ephraim Tutt said:
Summer has just arrived Downunder so I donned my 1950's (my best guess) vintage Stetson "Genuine Panama". It's a very fine weave and would have been an expensive lid in its day. This one is going to be a summer favourite.

Brim 2 5/8
Crown 4 6/8 front; 3 5/8 back
Ribbon 0 3/8 black
Sweat 1 1/2
Retailer M & K Hatters, 359 So Main, Los Angeles

SDC10388.jpg
SDC10390.jpg
SDC10391.jpg
SDC10392.jpg
SDC10387.jpg

Hr Tutt... for some reason I love that panama!!! :eusa_clap

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
G'day Rusty - it's probably something to do with that thin ribbon!

I bought it a few months back and when it arrived it turned out to be a size 7. It's been slow progress stretching it to 7 1/4, but we got there with no ill effects. It seems a little steam and a lot of patience can even bend these old stiff panamas to your will.

Today was its first outing and I gotta say I agree with you. I love this panama!

billysmom

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:

That should provide plenty of nose shade! Love the look on you!

Sue

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
6 3/4 fedora rebuilt as a 7 1/4 + 1/16 Optimo, by Optimo. I resisted the urge to have them do another snap-brim fedora:

Monte3x2.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
6 3/4 fedora rebuilt as a 7 1/4 + 1/16 Optimo, by Optimo. I resisted the urge to have them do another snap-brim fedora

Very nice! Can you explain how a rebuild works please? :)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
mike said:
Very nice! Can you explain how a rebuild works please? :)

Haha....no, not really. All I know is that Graham is a miracle worker when it comes to taking a small Panama and re-blocking it in my size. As long as the hat doesn't have any breaks, he seems to be able to do the rebuild. This one had all sorts of patina following the ancient fedora creases, but there is no distracting evidence in the final Optimo version.

The only limitations he's had with the three that I've sent him is that because they were all so old, the straw was lighter behind the ribbon, so two (including this one) required wider ribbons, which is fine with me. I have another Montecristi with a very thin ribbon, and I really don't like that look.

..okay, four. Any more Montecristis and I suppose I would be a glutton, so I quit.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A new montecristi arrived at our house yesterday.

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

I bought the unfinished hat from Robert Weber who suggested two people who would be able to finish it for me. I requested that he send it to a gentleman who has been blocking panamas for a fairly short time and one whose work I had seen first hand in optimo creased panamas belonging to Indycop and Deelovely. I have to say I hadn't really liked the optimo crease until I saw John's and Dee's first hand, but that experience changed my mind in a hurry.

The gentleman who creased this one for me has chosen to maintain a low profile fearing that he might offend our other fine hat makers, but he has given me permission to let you know who this masked man is. He's our brother in the love of lids, Tom Gomez, our own Tom-n-Perris. I can vouch for Tom that, like our other hatters, he sets very high standards for himself and has a very genuine desire to please his clients. I have found him to be a pleasure to work with and a pleasure to visit with about our hat cravings. I think it's great that we have him along with the others, and if you're looking for a panama I definitely recommend Tom. The hat he made for me fits like he made it for me (Oh, he did. lol ), and I LOVE the blue striped ribbon we picked for it.

Thank you, Tom. It has been and will be a pleasure! Let's do this again soon. ;)

By the way, Tom calls his business Premier Panama Hats. PM me if you want to know how to get in touch with him. I don't think he'll mind.

BobC

univibe88 said:
I love it Bob! It looks fantastic.

Thank you, Karl. You are an inspiration for this ribbon. As I recall you have a milan from Optimo Hats that has a ribbon not too terribly different from this one.

I haven't seen you on the lounge much in a while. Good to see you back, and I hope all is well with you.

univibe88

One Too Many
BobC said:
Thank you, Karl. You are an inspiration for this ribbon. As I recall you have a milan from Optimo Hats that has a ribbon not too terribly different from this one.

I haven't seen you on the lounge much in a while. Good to see you back, and I hope all is well with you.

I was wondering if that was the same ribbon. I was inspired by Lefty's Milan from Optimo! I wonder if yours is actually the same ribbon, not just a similar one. That ribbon has really gotten around. I believe Graham got it from Gary in NY. Perhaps Tom got ahold of some of the same spool.

I'm doing great, thanks for asking. I've been around, just reading and lurking more than posting.

BobC

This ribbon is 2" wide. I was thinking yours is narrower, but I could be wrong. It's been a while since I've seen yours. It very well could be the same.

There's likely an Optimo milan in my future. I tried one on when I was up there, and they're so much softer and nicer than the two I have.

RBH

Bartender
BobC said:

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

I bought the unfinished hat from Robert Weber who suggested two people who would be able to finish it for me. I requested that he send it to a gentleman who has been blocking panamas for a fairly short time and one whose work I had seen first hand in optimo creased panamas belonging to Indycop and Deelovely. I have to say I hadn't really liked the optimo crease until I saw John's and Dee's first hand, but that experience changed my mind in a hurry.

The gentleman who creased this one for me has chosen to maintain a low profile fearing that he might offend our other fine hat makers, but he has given me permission to let you know who this masked man is. He's our brother in the love of lids, Tom Gomez, our own Tom-n-Perris. I can vouch for Tom that, like our other hatters, he sets very high standards for himself and has a very genuine desire to please his clients. I have found him to be a pleasure to work with and a pleasure to visit with about our hat cravings. I think it's great that we have him along with the others, and if you're looking for a panama I definitely recommend Tom. The hat he made for me fits like he made it for me (Oh, he did. lol ), and I LOVE the blue striped ribbon we picked for it.

Thank you, Tom. It has been and will be a pleasure! Let's do this again soon. ;)

By the way, Tom calls his business Premier Panama Hats. PM me if you want to know how to get in touch with him. I don't think he'll mind.

:eusa_clap Tom did a fine job on that one!! :D

But Bob... you been in the Sam Adams? :D
Its a little to cool for a panama! :D

Bantam Man

One of the Regulars
Tom

BobC said:

Great hat Bob!

I can vouch for Tom. Via eBay I bought a refurbished Stetson panama from him. In the listing he included before pictures. On these, the hat looked as if someone had been playing soccer with it :eusa_doh:. The refurbished hat looks like new, with a sharp blocking and a soft sweatband.
Thank you Tom! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe