Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Is it possible for my hat to be a Montecristi, given it has virtually no markings? The only marks I found were a set of pencilled initials that were very light, very similar to what was on rlk's.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
thinkfloyd said:
Nice hat... where do you get used montechristis? I see some here bought for low prices and they look absolutely gorgeous!

It's pure luck (finding a good panama), and then some. I saw rlk's when it was on ebay, but I ignored it (what was I thinking? :eusa_doh: ) The hat I just posted was hiding on a wall in an antique shop:

MCTop.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
ScottF said:
It's pure luck (finding a good panama), and then some. I saw rlk's when it was on ebay, but I ignored it (what was I thinking? :eusa_doh: ) The hat I just posted was hiding on a wall in an antique shop:

MCTop.jpg

What terrific camouflage! Good eyes!

Sue

rlk

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Same here. [huh] :eusa_doh:

Thank you Scott and Gene for ignoring that hat. Looks like the former ladies hat is of similar quality and proportions, just a bit more wear and I expect it to turn out beautifully.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
Thank you Scott and Gene for ignoring that hat. Looks like the former ladies hat is of similar quality and proportions, just a bit more wear and I expect it to turn out beautifully.

Thanks rlk - it is pretty strange what hats we choose to pass up for no good reason, but looks like everyone ends up with a nice one in the end.

donwo

New in Town
Looking to buy 1st panama

Hello all,
I am planning to buy my first "real" panama hat in the optimo style soon. Any help is greatly appreciated. Is it best to order from a custom shop or is it better to mail order and have it finished at a custom shop? I really like the optimo shown on the Optimo website. That is what I am looking to buy. I am seriously considering driving to Chicago to buy it from Graham at Optimo to assure a proper fit. I have read many posts concerning custom panamas and the more I read the more confused I get. Again any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
donwo

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:

You got it, buddy.

More often now, I only take stabs at hats with no bids in the later parts of the auction, if even then. I have done pretty well on hat collecting and with Panamas specifically, so when I see that some slob out there wants the thing, I tend to lay off unless it's something on my list of 'still-wants'.

So, the slob was you. lol Seriously, I am glad you got that hat. It's a very fine one and the job Graham did makes it one of the best Panamas on you, or anyone for that matter, that I have seen.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:
You got it, buddy.

More often now, I only take stabs at hats with no bids in the later parts of the auction, if even then. I have done pretty well on hat collecting and with Panamas specifically, so when I see that some slob out there wants the thing, I tend to lay off unless it's something on my list of 'still-wants'.

Yeah, you super-duper-fino guys don't generally have hats like this on your list lol

This one came up a week or two after I found mine, so it didn't make sense to take a chance. Glad you got it, rlk!

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
New Stetson Panama

I am taking a long weekend off with my wife in the Carmel Valley not to be confused with the high cost town of Carmel 12 miles west on the coast . I found a consignment / trading post and purchased my first thrift shop hat, a vintage Stetson Panama with a optimo / fedora block and a fine weave. I brought my camera and took pictures but forgot the connection cord to my computer, so pictures will be added when I get home. The hat has a professional repair to a tear in the side of the crown and is dirty but other wise the hat is in good condition. Taged size is 7-3/8 but fits like a 7-1/4 my size.
The hat cost $12 it was one of the cheapest hats in the store and the only hat on interest . I asked for a discount was given the following option. If I agreed to pay full price the sales girl would cut cards. If I got the high card I got a 20% discount, if she got the high card I pay full price. She cut the high card and I got the steel of a deal.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
jonbuilder said:
I am taking a long weekend off with my wife in the Carmel Valley not to be confused with the high cost town of Carmel 12 miles west on the coast . I found a consignment / trading post and purchased my first thrift shop hat, a vintage Stetson Panama with a optimo / fedora block and a fine weave. I brought my camera and took pictures but forgot the connection cord to my computer, so pictures will be added when I get home. The hat has a professional repair to a tear in the side of the crown and is dirty but other wise the hat is in good condition. Taged size is 7-3/8 but fits like a 7-1/4 my size.
The hat cost $12 it was one of the cheapest hats in the store and the only hat on interest . I asked for a discount was given the following option. If I agreed to pay full price the sales girl would cut cards. If I got the high card I got a 20% discount, if she got the high card I pay full price. She cut the high card and I got the steel of a deal.
Beautiful area to visit and quite a nice Bonus. Congratulations.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Matching Optimo for gf

Here's a smaller Montecristi I picked up last night for my girlfriend - looks like a fairly fine weave:

ebay Panama

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Considered that one but the brim is wider than I like. Good hat at a good price :eusa_clap

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jonbuilder said:
can a small Montecristi like this hat be reblocked up 2 or 3 sizes by using the brim?

Thanks everyone. Jon - that's a good question that I was wondering myself. At 21 1/4, it might be a touch tight - she has a nice floppy Panama already, that's 21 3/4. I figured with the wide brim, I could add a more colorful wider ribbon and she would like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe