Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Stolen

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
<P>
Yep.....someone just stole my new Panama hat. Let me explain: I received a new Optimo from Casey at PanamaHatsDirect.com about a month ago. I ordered the 550-600 wpsi “Super-Fino”. When the hat arrived, I was very impressed with the weave, but I didn’t much like the way it looked on me (see photos below).
<P>

CaseyOpt1.jpg

CaseyOpt2.jpg

CaseyOpt3.jpg

It seemed that the crown was too low and the brim too wide….more like an “English Optimo”. I talked with Art about this and sent him some photos. He agreed with my assessment and told me that he could re-block it for me.

But before I could pack it up and send it to him, it was stolen. Here's what happened: I had just gotten dressed for church last Sunday, when my fiancé came around the corner wearing my new Optimo. Well.....it looked so good on her, that I had to let her "steal" it from me.

I think she looks great in it. What do you guys think?
<P>
<P>
<P>
<P>
<P>

UsAtChurch.jpg

Sandy_Sonny.jpg

BTW....I'm wearing my new Art-Fawcett-finished Panama C-crown in the photo above. For more photos, click HERE.

So....now that I'm Optimo-less, I’ve commissioned Art to make me a new one. Can’t wait to get it. I’ll be sure to post some photos after it arrives.
<P>
Oh.......if you would like to take a closer look at the Purloined Panama, check out the close-ups on the web-page I made for it. Just click HERE.
<P>

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Well Doc. This is one instance where I'd gladly let the thief keep the goods. She certainly looks better than you. :D

I would have stolen it too. I like that hat!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I can just imagine those KeyStone Cops...

...chasing around the church after her!! What a nice ending to what I feared was a tragic story!;) And YES...looks much, much better on her head.

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all of your comments.

"Stole your heart....stole your hat"........love it !!!!!!

Be sure to take a closer look at the "Purloined Panama" by clicking HERE.

Best to all,

Randy

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Optimo thief

HatDoc,

Next time make sure to choose the title more carefully - I was upset with the vision of that Panamabob/Art Fawcett C-Crown hat beauty being stolen since last weekend.:eek: :eek: ...reading further was a big relief.

I think Optimo style in panamas is rather an unisex one than a masculine. In cases it is even effeminate I might add. Even if it was advertised in the golden era for men.

Therefore it was a good choice to give it to the lady of your heart - and a generous one since it is not a cheapo but a Montecristi artwork.

I join the others in saying that it goes well with the chiseled features of your fiance than with yours and the C-Crown from Art simply fits you much better.

After all I might say this hat was not for you - even if you bought it.

Tom

tortswon

Practically Family
Zero Tolerance

Doc, I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a man would allow someone to steal his hat without seeking retribution. If you will send me my Fedora Lounge special retainer of a gift certificate for one of Art's hats, I will be happy to make sure justice is done... and stylishly. Best, Sam

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
HungaryTom said:
HatDoc,

Next time make sure to choose the title more carefully - I was upset with the vision of that Panamabob/Art Fawcett C-Crown hat beauty being stolen since last weekend.:eek: :eek: ...reading further was a big relief.

I think Optimo style in panamas is rather an unisex one than a masculine. In cases it is even effeminate I might add. Even if it was advertised in the golden era for men.

Therefore it was a good choice to give it to the lady of your heart - and a generous one since it is not a cheapo but a Montecristi artwork.

I join the others in saying that it goes well with the chiseled features of your fiance than with yours and the C-Crown from Art simply fits you much better.

After all I might say this hat was not for you - even if you bought it.

Tom

Hey Tom,

Sorry for giving you a panic attack. ;)

Well.....I hope I don't look too effeminate in my new Optimo from Art. If I do, I'll have to post it in the Classifieds real quick, before my fiance sees it. This could get a bit expensive.

BTW, I really like all of your Panamas....and felts as well. This photo of yours knocks me out:
<P>
<P>
<P>

HungaryTom_sm.jpg

<P>

Best regards............
<P>

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Put me down as one of the many who took the bait. lol

You guys look great. I do believe, however, that hat law requires the ribbon to be turned, so that the bow is on the wearer's right, for title to pass to any non-male. ;)

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Doc,

Thanks for the compliments, you acted generously.

HungaryTom_sm.jpg

For the sake of the accuracy and I dont want to swann around in strange feathers - this still life belongs to Paddy.

Regards>

Tom

Barz51

New in Town
Well that is a relief! As I was reading the story I was wondering how someone was going to steel your hat while you were getting ready for church. :D

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Caution!!!

Women have been known to commandeer not only hats but shirts, sweaters, scarves and even wristwatches; this from personal experience. :eek:

MCrider

A-List Customer
I know I'm in the minority on this one, but should she get away with it? I say no! Before you string me up, listen to my reasoning. The Mrs. and I have been married 25 years. In all that time I never got the new vehicle - she did. I drove what ever was running to work while she had air conditioned glory. But I'm not complaining. What did bug me was that when we were in Arizona, I was trying to find a wide brimmed hat of some kind for desert work. And that meant a cowboy style hat. I spent years trying them on only to have my wife take it off my head (literally), plop it on hers and declare she looked better in it (which she did). Eventually I found an Australian Outback style that looked good and kept it hidden from her. Last year when I started getting into fedora's again, she tried to "steal" one or two and remembering Arizona, I politely said no. Last month we went out and bought a new car and for the first time in 25 years I drive it to work![huh]
Now I'm not saying that keeping your hats on your heads will produce the same results, but if she tries to take one of mine it's gonna be a knock-down-drag-out kinda thing. Why you ask??? Because I found out that air conditioning is wonderful!

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
HungaryTom said:
Doc,

Thanks for the compliments, you acted generously.

HungaryTom_sm.jpg

For the sake of the accuracy and I dont want to swann around in strange feathers - this still life belongs to Paddy.

Regards>

Tom

Apologies to Paddy......a great hat and a great photo, nonetheless.

"Swan around in strange feathers"????? Well-put.......I like that.

Tom.....are you Hungarian, or an American ex-pat? Just wondering. If Hungarian, your command of the language is impressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe