Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Help Please

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
I've been wanting a Panama Hat for a while now. I woke up this morning thinking I'd look for advice here and the first thing I saw was the "New Panama Hat By Art" thread. Well, that catapulted my wanting into a full-blown obsession. Naturally, the thing to do would be to go right out and order one from Art - or would it be? See, while I've been wearing a Fedora for years, I'm not as "hat savy" as many of you guys, so I'm thinking I'd be better off walking into a hat store (we still have a few good ones in the DC/Baltimore area), to be certain of the fit and look I want. Anyway, I'd love to get some advice suitable for a new Panama Hat guy.

By the way - no offense intended towards Art. My concern is related entirely to my ability to convey information, not his ability to produce!

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
Let me be the first one to highly recommend PANAMABOB...he is a member here and offers excellent hats at great prices...

i just ordered one yesterday from him, so that make about four from him...

sharpetoys has the link to his website...

mark the shoeshine boy

RedPop4

One Too Many
PanamaBob is the man, then, if you like, Art will block it for you. I believe that's the way it works. I couldn't afford that, so I simply ordered from Robert and had it blocked in Ecuador. Either way, you can't mess it up.

www.panamas.biz

Feraud

Bartender
staggerwing said:
I'm thinking I'd be better off walking into a hat store (we still have a few good ones in the DC/Baltimore area), to be certain of the fit and look I want.
I definitely agree with you trying on different style hats to see what appeals to you.
Panamabob offers a wonderful straw hat.
DSC00056.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00054.jpg

warbird

One Too Many
SHARPETOYS said:
PanamaBob web site is...

http://www.panamas.biz/ Or give him a call at 260-492-0268

He has the best hats/prices...."Buy the hat not the story"...

The irony there is more than likely his hats have more story to them and those who made them, than a lot of the so-called handmade hats and sellers put out there as montecristis.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Well, given all the recommendations here, and after some offline communication with Robert, I going with Panama Bob. I'll keep you all posted.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
skybluewater said:
What did you end up getting?

Has it arrived yet?

Hi Skybluewater,

I've been traveling quite a bit so I haven't placed my order yet. I'm definitly going with Panama Bob. Right now I'm trying to decide whether I want a hat blocked in Ecuador or whether I want to purchase it from Robert and perhaps have it blocked by Art like the one that started this obsession in the first place. I just hope I can get it soon enough to wear it this summer! Anyway, I'll be in one place for the next couple of weeks and plan to place my order (probably after a couple more PMs to Robert now that I'm learning what questions to ask). I'll keep the good folks here posted.

aliados

One of the Regulars
I'd suggest getting the finest weave you can afford, and having it blocked in Ecuador. I have three of Bob's hats in varying degrees of quality, and IMHO, the blocking, sweat- and hat-band are more than adequate. (And, BTW, even his $100 hats are FAR nicer than any of the vintage "name brand" straws I've seen, most of which are in Brisa weave, and not nerely as fine or evenly-woven than Bob's).

You can always tweak it yourself, or have Art re-block it once you're comfortable and know exactly what you want.

ferryengr

One of the Regulars
I tried to check out the Panamabob website and found out it was virtually unusable on my Mac with Safari web browser. :( The webpage is 3 screen widths wide and the pull down menus (such as size selection) don't respond. Perhaps I can find a PC that's not been compromised by malicious software or equally compromising virus protection software so I can see what all the hub bub is about. :)

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I've seen some of Arts straw hats . They are just as good as the felts that he creates. Now that Art has bought a huge collections of blocks , his selection is incredible.

Steven
www.bencraft.com

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Had the same problem in Safari

I had the same problem in Safari, so I went to Firefox, was able to see the entire website, found hats that I liked, and ordered two. Hoping beyond hope to get them soon, but based upon the support that PB gets from the members here, I anticipate being very happy...

Cheers,

RC

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Panama that needs fixing

Hi chaps.

I bought a vintage panama, but it needs some TLC, since its a bit yellowish-dirty and have some small holes/breaks here and there that needs mending.

Is there someone who might have some expert tips on how to
1) give the panama a general cleaning
2) glue holes up
3) maby add a sweatband (the hat is a little too big, so i thought this could help). If yes, what material would be good for a panama? Black cotton?

general dirt
Video-snapshot1.jpg

A crack
Video-snapshot2.jpg

Hole (some small straw fallen off)
Video-snapshot3.jpg

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
It looks like either Palm or Milan Robert. My guess it's Milan straw based on the tightness of it and the even split on the side (where it would have been sewn).
Hammelby, my apologies but I don't believe it's repairable. With the side split and the chewed spots at the peak I think you need to consider it a yard hat and get whatever wear out of it you can.

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Thank you for an honest reply Art.
Well I suspected that would be the case too. But then i can have a look on those panamas from ecuador, sounds fair in price. If anyone is going to the BarBQ at Johns house, please bring one :)

Art Fawcett said:
It looks like either Palm or Milan Robert. My guess it's Milan straw based on the tightness of it and the even split on the side (where it would have been sewn).
Hammelby, my apologies but I don't believe it's repairable. With the side split and the chewed spots at the peak I think you need to consider it a yard hat and get whatever wear out of it you can.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hammelby, you are right. There are some decent Panamas on ebay if you patiently watch. I found a couple gems- here's one that cost $15

anap-f.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe