Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

WW2WaltUSMC

New in Town
As soon as I get certified and sworn, I would be happy to accept a position as a Policeman in this lovely town! Someone has to keep Otis the town drunk in line, right? And ensure that the children can cross the street safely on the first day of school! I have always wanted one of those spiffy double breasted coats the NYPD used to wear! But I must insist I be allowed to wear breeches and boots!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I have an old-style metropolitan police whistle, one of these:

323_p571588a.jpg

...which you can use, to direct traffic and call for backup when you're chasing naughty crooks through town. Maybe everyone in town should be given a police-whistle when they move in and start our own Neighbourhood Watch...

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
WW2WaltUSMC said:
As soon as I get certified and sworn, I would be happy to accept a position as a Policeman in this lovely town! Someone has to keep Otis the town drunk in line, right? And ensure that the children can cross the street safely on the first day of school! I have always wanted one of those spiffy double breasted coats the NYPD used to wear! But I must insist I be allowed to wear breeches and boots!

Fine, but the police station absolutely, positively cannot have a basement. I've heard too much about what used to go on downstairs at 1300 Beaubien.

-Dave

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Shangas said:
Please to be explaining the fear of police-station basements to one ignorant of the reasons behind your fear?

I've read a couple different places that during the Golden Era, beating suspects and vagrants with rubber hoses was quite common: Especially if there wasn't enough evidence to press formal charges against them.

1300 Beaubien is the address for Detroit Police headquarters, by the way.

-Dave

Mr Vim

One Too Many
That's awful, but that is how it was done back then.

I have to wonder, how would we keep things the way we want?

And what is it that we want? To have town with retro acrhitecture, a dress code and some amazing vehicles?

How do you keep the outside influences of the modern world? Or do you even try?

Mr Vim said:
Nope, I just do the broadcasts.

The Electricians Mates joke that we break em, they fix em.

I've got it, I'll write for the paper, I do editorials here, well I try at least, they rarely get published, mainly because I write to complain that men don't dress as nice as they should.

AND NOBODY HAS ANSWERED WHAT WE WOULD NAME THIS PLACE! I'M WRITING IN CAPS TO DRIVE HOME THE POINT! I'M ACTUALLY SHOUTING THIS AS I AM TYPING!

I think we should call it something simple... One word, catchy, maybe just Nostalgia. Or Vintage-ville. Or that place that a bunch o'crazy Vintage Folks put together.

We have been over this plenty in previous pages but to reinterate my choice would be Willoughby after the Twilight Zone episode A Stop At Willoughby.
The synopsis:
".....He wakes to find the train stopped and changed into an 1880s railcoach, deserted except for himself. The sun is bright outside and as he looks out the window, he discovers that the train is in Willoughby and that it's July 1888. He learns that this is a "peaceful, restful place, where a man can slow down to a walk and live his life full measure." Being jerked back awake in the real world, he asks the conductor about Willoughby, but the conductor responds that there is no such town on any rail timetable and never has been."

The time period may be wrong but the living life in full measure sounds pretty good to me. :D

Mr Vim

One Too Many
That's not bad, I love the old twilight zone show...

what about the town in the episode where the man went back to his childhood hometown to discover that he had traveled back in time to see himself as a child? I cannot remember the title of the episode, help me out James.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I found it,

the episode was called Walking Distance, and the town was called Homewood... that rings doesn't it?

But James' suggestion is just as good, if not better.

Mr Vim said:
I found it,

the episode was called Walking Distance, and the town was called Homewood... that rings doesn't it?

But James' suggestion is just as good, if not better.

I still like Willoughby. It has a built in town slogan:
A peaceful, restful place, where a man can slow down to a walk and live his life full measure. :D
I don't want to be ten again or lauded over by my mother as in that episode. ;) :p
I volunteered to be mayor and Forgotten Man volunteered to be Chief of Police if I remember correctly. We'll put these signs at the town limits to keep undesirables out:
27880a1370.jpg

City code 8600H violations carry a fine of up to $1,000 and six months in jail.
;) :p

Kiri

One of the Regulars
Willoughby sounds good. :)

Originally Posted by Mr Vim
How do you keep the outside influences of the modern world? Or do you even try?

I don't think we'd much have to worry about that, since everyone living there would live there because they loved vintage things. Of course, we might get obnoxious tourists coming to watch us living our lives. That could get annoying. What would we do about that?
Unless of course this is a Twilight zone type thing and it's not like that.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
David Conwill said:
I've read a couple different places that during the Golden Era, beating suspects and vagrants with rubber hoses was quite common: Especially if there wasn't enough evidence to press formal charges against them.

It was sometimes said during the Era that the official crest of the New York police department should be two rubber hoses crossed on a field of shamrocks.

Kiri said:
Willoughby sounds good. :)

I don't think we'd much have to worry about that, since everyone living there would live there because they loved vintage things. Of course, we might get obnoxious tourists coming to watch us living our lives. That could get annoying. What would we do about that?
Unless of course this is a Twilight zone type thing and it's not like that.

Well, our previous discussions figured that would happen and we could take advantage of it. Rent visitors the proper clothing, cars etc. We can't have flip flop wearing tourists ruining the ambiance.;)
Some of our businesses could do pretty well in the restoration area as well. There is a pretty good demand for craftsmen who can actually fix vintage cars, radios, furniture etc. That is not to mention parts and such that can be sold to the outside world. :D

WW2WaltUSMC

New in Town
Sometimes one might lament it's not still that way. It's like Connery said in the "Untouchables": "One of theirs pulls a knife, you pull a gun. They send one of yours to the hospital, you send one of theirs to the morgue. That's the Chicago way. That's how you get Capone." There is something to be said about the older, tougher, less PC style of policework.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
WW2WaltUSMC said:
Sometimes one might lament it's not still that way. It's like Connery said in the "Untouchables": "One of theirs pulls a knife, you pull a gun. They send one of yours to the hospital, you send one of theirs to the morgue. That's the Chicago way. That's how you get Capone." There is something to be said about the older, tougher, less PC style of policework.

Yes, unless the officer, being all too human (and therefore fallible) makes a little mistake.

We must always remember that no matter how certain we are of something, we may well be in error.

Look at Louis Seltzer.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, the older, tougher style of policework was generally pretty corrupt and bigoted as well.
Then again, I suspect there was also an older, gentler style of policework that might be nice to bring back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe