Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

Chas

One Too Many
I think that this could actually work; as a sort of commune- following the example set by the hippies and flower children of the 60's (yes, I know, who wants to think of that!). You need to find a small town somewhere with the original infrastructure intact.

You would need to institute a set of town bylaws that prohibit any technological devices past, say, 1950. That means: no PC's, yadda yadda.
All in all, it could work.

I want the trolley tracks put back in, and I will run the streetcar. I'm also trained as a nurse, so that solves another problem. Or I'll go back to school, get a degree and be the druggist. We need a proper drug store, with soda jerks.

Chas said:
I think that this could actually work; as a sort of commune- following the example set by the hippies and flower children of the 60's (yes, I know, who wants to think of that!). You need to find a small town somewhere with the original infrastructure intact.

Perrish the thought!:eusa_doh: :eek:
Think more along the lines of the Amish not a bunch of drug crazed hippies.:eusa_doh: The Amish work as they are without much nod to the present. So could we. We could just sell new golden age era furniture and accessories. ;) :p

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
OK, guys, no fisticuffs. I think what we really want here is a world/community where we can enjoy the neat stuff from the past that we love, without giving up a few modern things that are more than just "conveniences", they're necessities. I'm talking about modern medicine, for starters. We have to have computers, cuz that's what brought us together in the first place. The cars will be vintage, but they'll have modern brakes and seatbelts. (We'll leave the issue of whether the seatbelts are mandatory for another evening's debate. I suspect, contarary to my own bleeding hear liberal tendencies, they WON'T be mandatory.)
Maybe we should think a little about the modern things we feel we should hold on to. And I know already who's gonna say we don't need ANY modern things. But let's discuss it anyway.

Dan, I was attempting a joke--I'm a board moderator myself elsewhere who has to deal with Lusers picking fights (and making me be a BOFH in response), so would never deliberately pick a fight with another mod/board-op.

T, you'd be surprised how cagey us in the scaly-set can be... not to mention inventive. Besides, the "rattlesnake" reference is to behavior patterns and attitude--the weird metabolism only adds to the effect...lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Oh, DB, I know, I know. Just joining in the fun.
But it is an interesting issue. It's almost excruciatingly tantalizing to think about "Our own vintage town". It could be SUCH FUN. Of course there's the economic issue. How could such a thing make an economic go of it?
The only obvious answer is through tourism, and then it would be like a Disney version, an artificial vintage town. But how could it be otherwise? I've often thought of building (with someone else's $500 million) an Americana based theme park. It would have neighborhoods dedicated to different regions and eras. Of course the only sensible area to do it would be a warm sunbelt location, but I'm a die hard winter guy, so I'd try to get around that issue. But it would still be an amusement park. So there you are. The only alternative I can think of is a vintage "enclave" in an existing city. That assumes that "vintage" becomes infinitely more popular than it is right now. And if that happened, it would only be a fad. So, again, there you are. [huh]

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
And speaking of herpitology . . .

And speaking of herpitology :)offtopic: ) my girlfriend's brother in law just retired from a career as a snake milker, in Salt Lake City. I kid you not. He's milked over 30,000 poisonous snakes in his life time and never been bit once. He says you just have to make the snake trust you. Now there's a lesson in life. Those little snakeys are just timid gentle critters, once you get to understand them.

carter

I'll Lock Up
The Farm

I spent a couple of days at The Farm in Tennessee in the early 70's on a return trip from somewhere. Some 30 years on, this is still a viable community. No drug-crazed hippies but definitely an alternative lifestyle. I believe I'd like to make that trip again.

http://www.thefarmcommunity.com/

dhermann1 said:
I've often thought of building (with someone else's $500 million) an Americana based theme park. It would have neighborhoods dedicated to different regions and eras. Of course the only sensible area to do it would be a warm sunbelt location, but I'm a die hard winter guy, so I'd try to get around that issue. But it would still be an amusement park. So there you are. The only alternative I can think of is a vintage "enclave" in an existing city. That assumes that "vintage" becomes infinitely more popular than it is right now. And if that happened, it would only be a fad. So, again, there you are. [huh]
It could work in the Sunbelt, have a huge warehouse with a town inside chilled to year-round winter for your "Holiday Village" section. Have to sink geothermal turbines or build a solar-plant in space with microwave power transmission, but the tech is there... And like I said, there are some Plains towns that are all-but-abandoned and thus ripe for a "vintage invasion".
dhermann1 said:
And speaking of herpitology :)offtopic: ) my girlfriend's brother in law just retired from a career as a snake milker, in Salt Lake City. I kid you not. He's milked over 30,000 poisonous snakes in his life time and never been bit once. He says you just have to make the snake trust you. Now there's a lesson in life. Those little snakeys are just timid gentle critters, once you get to understand them.
That's the trick, convince them (or me) that you're no threat and you're cool. Grounds for second thought, though, and... :eek: A little understanding really does go a long way, huh? :D

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Just finished reading this thread--how did I miss it?

I vote for Willoughby with 1 month of snow.

I also nominate myself as the town photographer--babies on bearskin rugs, school pictures, wedding portraits, yard long photos of the town picnic. I'll be in the dark room, concentrating so hard that I'll be oblivious to the fact that my round glasses sliding down my nose.

If that post is taken I'll run the town hat shop or be a florist.

imoldfashioned said:
Just finished reading this thread--how did I miss it?

I vote for Willoughby with 1 month of snow.

I also nominate myself as the town photographer--babies on bearskin rugs, school pictures, wedding portraits, yard long photos of the town picnic. I'll be in the dark room, concentrating so hard that I'll be oblivious to the fact that my round glasses sliding down my nose.

If that post is taken I'll run the town hat shop or be a florist.

Hat shop is taken but the photographer isn't---as far as I remember anyway. :D

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Sorry if this seems rude, but while I like you all fine, I would totally not want to live in a town with you guys. I'm sure some things would be great, but we'd all be competing at the local vintage shops. Besides, would there be laws against swearing and making crude jokes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe