Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

Haversack

One Too Many
You know, figuring out what sort of weather we want has already been done for us, courtesy of Messers Lehrner and Lowe:

"A law was made a distant moon ago here,
June, July and August cannot be too hot;
And there's a legal limit to the snow here...
In Camelot."

"The winter is forbidden till December...
And exits March the second on the dot.
By order summer lingers through September...
In Camelot."

Haversack

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
I can join the firefighters as i took the danish firefighter exam.
Ill manage the press in the city, making all those posters for homebake-tounaments and bigband-jams and swing nights :) *sigh*

I could translate letters to your distant cousins in scandinavia ;)

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Is this all an academic exercise or are any of yous guys really serious about this whole creating a town idea?

Because if you are serious, and don't have any aversions to the glorious Southland, that would be the idea place to do it.

Land is cheap and there are small, all but deserted towns in abundance down here. I mean places where every structure is at least 50 years old, and practically everything in town is up for sale. Places that have lost their economic base, and lost their residents to the bigger cities. Places that are all but forgotten. All selling for cheap.

-MC

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Well I think it is a marvelous idea, and the South would make a lot of warm weather folks happy. The rest of us can go visit Sun Valley for the holidays.

We really need an economic base though...What about a shoe factory? Well made, comfortable women's shoes should sell....

BTW, I think we have a farm with a tractor. I'd like to propose that the farm has at least one team of draft horses. Handy for when the cost of fuel gets too high, hayrides and the pioneer days parade, as well as being a renewable resource. I can hitch 'em up and drive.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Miss Crisplock said:
We really need an economic base though...What about a shoe factory? Well made, comfortable women's shoes should sell....

The economic base could be the town itself. The atmosphere as a tourist attraction. B&Bs, antique shops, cool bookstores and coffee shops. Internet business's is also an option. With internet commerce, you can make a living anywhere.

-MC

I don't think we want to be like the Amish. :p We just want a place where we can live as our grandparents once did. A slower lifestyle with a family centered existence.
I could see tourism as a plus in some ways but they would have to take up the mantle and fit in. Dress the right way, act the right way and be peaceful. Sheriff Wildroot is ready to kick out all the riff raff as of yesterday. :p
"I can hear the voice "If you build it they will come." :D And another quote:
Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to Willoughby for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come."
Root will get rid of people like this:
Root: "Oh, my Goodness!
Miscreant: What?
Root: You're from the sixties.
Miscreant: [bashfully] Well, yeah, actually...
Root: [spraying at miscreant with a insecticide sprayer] Out! Back to the sixties! Back! There's no place for you here! Get back while you still can!"

Regards to all,

J

Brooksie

One Too Many
In our town I would like to open up and run a chocolate shop just like in the movie Chocolat;).

I also think it would be really cool to have an old time boardwalk, with a carrousel, a photography shop that does those old time sepia tone photos, a candy shop that has handmade salt water taffy (a little competion for my chocolate shop) and any other type of place that would fit in on the boardwalk.

Of course there would be a natatorium which is where the swimming pool that was mentioned in a previous post, would be. I have seen some really neat pictures of some natatoriums from the 1920's, the pictures made me wish I was really there!

Last but not least we would need a traveling Carnival show that would come into town twice a year, it would have all of the cool rides and the freak show even!

Brooksie

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Hammelby said:
Ill manage the press in the city, making all those posters for homebake-tounaments and bigband-jams and swing nights :) *sigh*

Okay, if I can't be the saucy reporter, my second choice will be working as a typesetter in the local print shop. Girls can do that, right?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DancingSweetie said:
looks like metropd volunteered to police but I'm sure you guys could both do it.

Even Mayberry had TWO cops. Our town's gonna be much much bigger and have more modern "city" issues.

We'll need more than 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld