Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OR Experts: Date Please?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

I bought this Open Road over the weekend. As you can see, it has a black sweatband, is marked 3X Beaver (as opposed to the modern "4X Beaver") and appears to be made of softer, thicker felt than my 2005 OR.

Its a whopping size 7 3/4. I wear a 7 5/8 in new hats, but I usually have to go up a size when I buy vintage, so I'm hoping that it will fit.

Anyone here on FL have an idea as to the approximate date of manufacture?

5c35_1_sbl-1.jpg

acb7_1_sbl-1.jpg

Thanks in advance......

Atticus

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
'70s or '80s, I think. I don't have as much experience with stetsons from this era, so I'm afraid I can't narrow it down much.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Gents. I was thinking that it was from the 'seventies but was hoping it might be older. Perhaps its quality won't be quite that of earlier ORs, buts its almost certain to be better than that of my cardboard 2005 model.

Vintage, larger-sized ORs are difficult to find, so I decided to bid on this one...even though I wasn't sure how "vintage" it really was. I set my snipe at the price of a new Open Road, and then forgot about it. Thankfully, when the smoke had cleared, I had bought it for less than that amount.

AF

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Western Dress ????

1. Based on a 1982 5X OR that I have, I would guess about the same age.
2. Based on the 3" Brim I think it is a western dress (goes by many different names) not OR.:eek:
If you wear a 7 3/4's a 3" brim looks Great. :D :D

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
carouselvic said:
Short answer is yes. To date a Stetson you must use more than just the color of sweatband.

I had thought that to be true. The trouble is...I don't know the rest of the formula. Also, I'm jumping the gun a bit here as I don't even have the hat in hand. Maybe when I get it, I'll be able to photograph the details so as to provide better information to those who do know the formula.

I am interested to see what arrives, though. Just before I found this whatever-it-is on e-bay, I purchased a new Campdraft from Hats Direct. Now that I've scored the whatever-it-is, the anticipation of getting it has eclipsed the fun of waiting for my Campdraft.

AF

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
While we are on the subject if you all don't mind....
I have an Open Road with a black sweat, 5X beaver. I assume that it's a fairly recent hat, but it's not a stiff carboady felt at all. The interesting part, I thought, is that it has the initials JBS with a rope and lasso loop repeated all around the upper circumeference of the sweatband. The lettering is almost a quarter inch high....anyone ever seen this?

rmrdaddy said:
While we are on the subject if you all don't mind....
I have an Open Road with a black sweat, 5X beaver. I assume that it's a fairly recent hat, but it's not a stiff carboady felt at all. The interesting part, I thought, is that it has the initials JBS with a rope and lasso loop repeated all around the upper circumeference of the sweatband. The lettering is almost a quarter inch high....anyone ever seen this?
worthlesswithoutpics

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
I know Dean!!
What happened is that Mrs. Daddy took the camera to work. She then brought the camera home, but neglected to bring the battery charger or spare battery....I have reminded her.....
:eusa_doh:

rmrdaddy said:
I know Dean!!
What happened is that Mrs. Daddy took the camera to work. She then brought the camera home, but neglected to bring the battery charger or spare battery....I have reminded her.....
:eusa_doh:
Mrs. Dean used similiar situation to justify buying her a new digital camera & giving me the old one...watch out with that reminder!!!...

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
RBH said:
Looks like a nice one whatever the age.
Will you leave it as a cattleman or will you attempt a fedora crease with this one?

Vic, that one looks super !

Hi RBH,

Thank you, Sir. I do hope it turns out to be as nice as it looks in the photos.

I have ordered a Campdraft from Hats Direct that will hopefully become my fedora OR, so I think the e-bay hat will remain as a cattleman. As to the Campdraft...I went to Target and bought a teapot for steaming, and I've been re-reading the various hat bashing threads here on FL...so wish me luck!

AF

RBH

Bartender
Atticus Finch said:
Hi RBH,

Thank you, Sir. I do hope it turns out to be as nice as it looks in the photos.

I have ordered a Campdraft from Hats Direct that will hopefully become my fedora OR, so I think the e-bay hat will remain as a cattleman. As to the Campdraft...I went to Target and bought a teapot for steaming, and I've been re-reading the various hat bashing threads here on FL...so wish me luck!

AF
Loking forward to the finished hat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe