Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Graham's Milans are just exquisite, and I am finding it difficult to resist the temptation to start wearing mine right now.

Your wife obviously has excellent taste!

Here is an Optimo restoration of my 7X Clear Beaver quality "the Intrigue" (my name.)

Graham cleaned and blocked it to my size (22 1/8") from 7 1/4, installed a new ribbon and sweat, put in a lining (which I might not have) and added a wind cord. The clear beaver felt still shows the patina of 60+ years of wear. The fit is just right. The 7X felt in this hat is the best of my three CBs. I'm happy to have it feel as good on my head as it feels in the hand.

intrigue1.jpg

intrigue4.jpg

intrigue2.jpg

more in this hat on the 7X Clear Beaver Quality thread.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I finally got this today after several attempts and some sort of e-mail malfunction. This is a montecristi blocked with a new block at Optimo. Mr. Thompson tells me it's a fuller crown than their previous teardrop. If I remember correctly he said the crown is slightly higher at the front and slightly more raked. I'll be receiving a milan blocked with the same block with a 2 1/2 inch brim and a dark blue ribbon between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 inches. It should be here around April 16.
2011-03-23150415.jpg

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I asked Tiffani about your block, Bob. She told me it's only available, for the time being, for hats of your size. They will have molds made for other sizes eventually.

BobC

I asked Tiffani about your block, Bob. She told me it's only available, for the time being, for hats of your size. They will have molds made for other sizes eventually.

Very good! That will lend some at least temporary uniqueness to my hat then. I think she said they had made and sold one other milan with this mold so far.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Happy Anniversary to me! Sort of joking, I asked my wife for a milan from Graham. She didn't say yes, she didn't say no. Today we celebrate our 4Th year together and guess what? She got it for me!
I love this hat. Very light and soft--every milan I've handled until this has been stiff as a helmet--. Now I understand what Lefty meant when he said his milans were his favorite. This are gorgeous hats. The smell of the milan straw is amazing!
Specs:
Ribbon: Steel Gray 1 1/2 inches with lapel cord (aka wind trolley)
Brim: 2 1/2 inches
Color: Natural with a teardrop crease 4 1/4 inches tall at its highest point.

53.jpg

54.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Now I understand what Lefty meant when he said his milans were his favorite. This are gorgeous hats. The smell of the milan straw is amazing!

Everyone will learn that I'm always right. Some will just take longer than others. :)

Congrats on that anniversary and the hat.

BobC

Beautiful milan, Aureliano. Mine should be here soon, but your's is making me anxious for it to arrive. Congrats on the anniversary too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe