Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on the fit for these suit jackets?

Lorinz

Familiar Face
I don't wear this type of clothing all that often, but I wanted to have a flattering looking suit for situations where it is needed such as work(I work in a business casual area where it's encouraged to dress up sometimes) or for certain little events.

The first set of pictures are from a suit I got from Banana Republic. I got it because it was on sale, and I've dealt with this brand before and have a good idea of what they do well and what they do badly in regards to their clothing. Also they have a good return policy.

I know that the sleeves on the suit from Banana Republic are too long and would definitely need to be hemmed. I'd also like to mention that I don't have an amazing figure, I'm not really overweight or anything but I am kind of thick a little bit. I also have a bit of a forward head anterior pelvic tilt. I'm working on my posture to try and correct that, but I I wanted to point out that I am aware of it, and I know that it will be a weak point in the way these clothes fit, which obviously cannot be fixed right this second. Besides that, I wanted to know how well it fits, like if it looks like it fits correctly. I worried about the arms seeming a little bit loose as well as how the chest looks. I don't really know exactly how this stuff should fit or what the rules for that are for suits since I don't dress like this everyday nor do I work in an environment like a law firm or something where I need to look impeccable.

New Suit from Banana Republic(last 2 photos were when I got to try it on in the dressing room):
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

The second set of pictures are from an old suit jacket I have, and this one I felt fit better in the arms and hadalready been shorted to the appropriate length. However in the chest area it felt kind of tight, and a little bit bad; especially when buttoned it felt a little tighter. The new suit from Banana Republic feels looser and lighter and more comfortable, but I don't know if that could actually be a sign of it being a little too big. The new suit is a size bigger being a 40, while the old one is a size 38. For the new one I had to go up a size because the 38 for that one was very tight and obviously badly fitting because of it being marketed as a slim fit; I assume that is why it fit so poorly since I don't wear a slim fit due to my body shape.

Old Suit:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Sorry for such a lengthy post, I just want some guidance because this is something I wanted to have for when its needed with minimal effort and kind of set it and forget it so to speak. I don't really want to get into the realm of having to get this stuff custom made or needing alterations all the time; as long as I look presentable and good and not ridiculous its fine since this isn't the manner of clothing that I wear on a routine basis anyway.
Note: I already know about the pants not matching, I was just trying something on while trying to fit the suit jackets and see how they fit my body, so ignore that.

Peacoat

Bartender
One of my pet peeves is too much, or not enough, sleeve showing at the cuff. Most say 1/4" showing. That is a good guide, but 1/8" to 1/4" is acceptable for me as well. You have about 1/2" showing.

Do yourself a favor and go to Brooks Brothers or Joseph Banks and get a suit that is measured for you. Also, pick up some shirts that have the proper sleeve length. If you get 100% cotton shirts, which I prefer because of the starch they will take, they will probably shrink after going to the laundry. So, take that into consideration. It may require a bit of hit or miss.

Charcoal or navy are your best bets when starting out with a suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley