Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old(?) leather jacket in Sweden

Flieger

Practically Family
Hello everybody! My first post in this part of the FL. (I have only spent some time in the "Hats" section so far) Reason is that I won a leather jacket on a Swedish auction site this evening. Problem is that I know very little about it other then that it looks cool and had my size. :eusa_doh: In Sweden the model is called "Bryggarfrack" which translates to 'Brewers Tails'. It's double breasted with three pockets and a round, standing collar. It also has a warm wool lining.

I did a search on the internet to see if I could find anything similar around the globe but it looks like this model is indigenous to Sweden... or am I wrong?

jacket_001.jpg

Thanks for looking and I'd be greateful for any comments and/or information you might have.

Cheers
/Flieger

Flieger

Practically Family
Today the jacket arrived but alas, it was a tad too small for me. Hopefully the wife can use it since I love the style.

By the lack of reponse to this thread I suppose this style of leather jacket never cought on outside the Swedish/Scandinavian borders. Too bad, because I'd really like to find a modern version of it. [huh]

Anyway, for future reference: Here's a couple of pictures with me in the jacket. :)

Bryggarfrack01.jpg

Bryggarfrack02.jpg

Cheers
/Flieger

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
How did I miss this thread? I think it must have "fallen through the cracks" as I know many of our members like just that sort of jacket.

I actually think it looks really fine on you. The sleeves are fine, and length. Perhaps the shoulders are too narrow? I don't know what that jacket is called, or where it might be found in reproduction, but I'll get some people in here who may very well know.

Flieger

Practically Family
Hello Scotrace, thanks for the reply!

Yes, the jacket looks OK on me but unfortunatley it's a bit to narrow in the armpits. It's fine as long as I don't try to move in it. :)

All I know about this jacket model is that it was probably popular among the brewery guys in the 1930's and 40's, hence the name "Brewers tails" or "Brewers west" (the sleeveless model). I guess other categories of work force used is as well but so far I have not been able to find any photographic evidence. [huh]

Well, I have every confidence that IF someone knows more about this type of jacket, they are here at Fedora Lounge. :eusa_clap

BellyTank: Hej! I also have a Mother in Law in the Stockholm area. :D

/Flieger

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Well... the guests still ahven't arrived...

That jacket is reminiscent of the style referred to as "U-Boat Coats/jackets".
Of course there was a style(single breasted) issued to the German Navy and many other variants and privately obtained examples.

This one differs in being double breasted and the cut seems quite a bit smaller and closer in comparison.

I haven't heard the expression "Bryggarfrack" before.

What size is it? I like it!
I have a nice, '30s/'40s vintage, Swedish jacket in goatskin- there are a couple of pictures around here somewhere...

Do you have a photo of the back of your jacket?

B
T

The lack of collar is very interesting, though i don't know if i like the look.\.

Check the dude at the centre in the back of this shot. Though i'm not certain this is a leather jacke it is certainly reminiscent of yours. This is from the Kroenleins brewery. I'd guess late C19th:

Kroenleins3.jpg

bk

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That *is* an interesting jacket

That's getting close to a jacket I have in mind and am thinking
about having made. I would also like to see more pictures.

I can't seem to find one just like it on the web.
I found this:

LW%20LEATHER%20JKT.jpg

But as you can see it has that annoying collar and silly
wrist cinches (probably not silly when riding a motorcycle
on a cold morning).

This is not it at all, but it is double breasted:
http://www.thebadwolf.com/
(a modern Dr. Who jacket with 70s lapels). It does
hang straight, which I like. Das Boot, I know, and too long, too.

If only I were BT, I would get an inexpensive European vintage jacket.
But here in the USA we don't have the same opportunity, so I
am looking for examples so that I can have one made.

Something about that collar-less, double breasted coat. Now if
it hung straight and bulky on the sides and wasn't too long...

Flieger

Practically Family
OK, here's a couple of more photos showing the jacket from the back and the front all buttoned up.
Bryggarfrack04.jpg

Bryggarfrack03.jpg

As you can see it looks very much like the one in Baron Kurtz photo (thanks!). Maybe Germany is the place to look for a replica? Sweden took a lot of inspiration from there before WWII.

Size? Well, it's hard to say really. My guess would be european size 48/50 - I usually take 50/52 myself. The seller said "Large" but I think it's more like a "Medium" IMHO. I'll take some mesurements and post here later if someone is interested?

Flieger

Flieger

Practically Family
Sorry Cookie, the civilized world turned metric a long time ago. Time for the rest of the world to wake up and smell the coffee. :rolleyes: :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Actually, I have no tape measure with inches on it. But as you know: 1 inch = 2,54 cm

Cheers
Flieger

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Imperial vs Euros

Flieger said:
Sorry Cookie, the civilized world turned metric a long time ago. Time for the rest of the world to wake up and smell the coffee. :rolleyes: :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Actually, I have no tape measure with inches on it. But as you know: 1 inch = 2,54 cm

Cheers
Flieger

PM me your address and I'll send you an tape you can use. They sell'em in the Chinese $2 shops. Handy for US based eBay purchases.

Flieger

Practically Family
Thanks BellyTank, good tip! I'll remember that the next time I visit but I have 250 km to my nearest store.

/Flieger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe