Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ok, you guys are bad. Stepped out on faith for my first Akubra

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Well, I had the high bid on an almost new Banjo Patterson in Heritage Fawn and it did not meet its reserve. However, I did ask the guy what he would take if it did not sell and viola, we struck a deal. One guy here has been a sounding board and so with maybe a little prodding, I went for it.

My worries are that the BP is a western hat, not like my Stetson Saxon at all. I have big ribbons on the Saxon and the panama bob hat I bought, so this thin, leather-like band could be offputting. Also, the brim appears to be wider than the Saxon. However, I have the Saxon in grey and it will be my suit hat. I am envisioning the BP though to go with jeans and khakis, and also dress pants and sweaters, so as to be more versatile.

Has anyone switched out the small band for a larger ribbon one? What is the price on something like that?

I was dithering over this hat, or going to find a Stylemaster since it is more like my Stetson, however, I have read that this felt is some primo stuff and for a casual hat, it looks good that way.

Oh, while I am here, what is all this 3 X and 5X stuff I see on the auction listings>

G MAN

One of the Regulars
The Banjo Paterson a nice hat, here's a couple of pic's of mine to help you decide on the Barrumundi trim.
DSC02690.jpg

DSC05649.jpg

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
That Banjo looks like a great hat...I think it's one of those crossover hats...not a fed and not a cowboy...but something unique in between. I know you'll enjoy this Akubra...it won't be the last for you either! You'll get the Akubra bug. When you get it...post shots of it on you head in the "Akubra Overload" thread.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Colby Jack said:
That Banjo looks like a great hat...I think it's one of those crossover hats...not a fed and not a cowboy...but something unique in between. I know you'll enjoy this Akubra...it won't be the last for you either! You'll get the Akubra bug. When you get it...post shots of it on you head in the "Akubra Overload" thread.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I'm with Mr. Jack on this!

I have had a Banjo Paterson in charcoal for several years and about a month back got one in the fawn. Have been grabbing the latter off the rack more than any other since then. I like fedoras, but somehow it just doesn't feel quite right to me with shorts and oxford shirt with sleeves cut off - it's been humid and hot here, ya know.

The B.P. covers a lot of ground. Extremely casual to halfway nicely dressed. Yeah, it's more western, and the "leather-like" band is real fishskin over leather (I think). I've briefly contemplated changing it out but just can't stomach that - it's way too cool.

Think you'll like it. There's well-informed differences of opinion here, but I personally think the Heritage felt is worth the price difference and a significantly better.

As for the X's...forget them except in regard to specific makers in specific time periods. You'll find a lot of information here if you search.

Best wishes on your new hat,
- Bill

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Just chiming in on the BP.You'll also find the fawn color complements a lot of different clothing colors/choices..
The BP makes a great "go to" hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld