Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ok, so some things in the golden era were not too cool...

I remember the WWI episode where Indy and Ernest Hemingway are both seeing the same girl and don't even know it. I think there's a scene where she confesses to young Hemingway that she's also seeing a boy named "Enrico" who turns out to be Indy. lol

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I remember the WWI episode where Indy and Ernest Hemingway are both seeing the same girl and don't even know it. I think there's a scene where she confesses to young Hemingway that she's also seeing a boy named "Enrico" who turns out to be Indy. lol

I remember that one, too! Then there's the episode with Pable Piccasso...

Just looked on Amazon and the entire series isn't cheap. I actually taped them off the tv (I think I was in high school) and still have those old VHS tapes, but the quality is pretty bad.

I was obsessed with this show - tried never to miss an episode.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
I remember that one, too! Then there's the episode with Pable Piccasso...

Just looked on Amazon and the entire series isn't cheap. I actually taped them off the tv (I think I was in high school) and still have those old VHS tapes, but the quality is pretty bad.

I was obsessed with this show - tried never to miss an episode.

Most of the show is now available on Netflix streaming.

Doug

Blackjack

One Too Many
They released the 4th movie, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, in 2008. I doubt that there will be a fifth.

I meant to type 5th, thank you. I used to watch that too, and the beginning of the other one with River Phoenix was interesting. I hope if they do try another one that they steer it in that direction and not have it set in the 60's or some such thing, Indy belongs in the 20's-40's.

Edward

Bartender
Didn't Lucas say the fifth Indiana Jones would be his last major movie just last week? Or am I imagining things?

He was careful to keep it open. I can't see where they'd go with it, though. I liked the fourth one a lot, especially as hey kept Indy credible by playing him as an old man. It would have been ridiculous to set it any earlier with Ford. To my mind, though, they rounded off the story nicely and it would be superfluous to add more. Of course, given half a chance Lucas would still do it. Hell, I heard after those SW prequels, Heidi Fleiss offered him a job. The only bit of the story I see left that's worth telling is Indy's war years. The problem with that is it requires someone other than Ford to play an adult Jones. I struggle to imagine that being pulled off credibly, but maybe with an unknown the right age who can capture enough of Ford to make it believable.

amador

A-List Customer
i have no doubt...look at heston's hat and jacket as well. I guess spielberg was "inspired".

incasindianaheston.jpg

ddoouubbllee bbrriimmeedd hhaatt

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Animal cruelty in Circus in the past was just too sad for words :( in some instances it still is nowadays :(

I don't like the way animals were treated in the past.

For that reason only I would not like to live in the past.

Story

I'll Lock Up
(Allen) Dulles was married in 1920, but he and his wife, Clover, had a difficult home life. She was sensitive and introverted, while he was handsome and charming — and a skilled seducer.

His affairs were legendary. The writer Rebecca West, asked once whether she had been one of his girlfriends, famously replied, “Alas, no, but I wish I had been.”

For most of the 1920 and ’30s, Dulles worked with his brother at the Wall Street law firm of Sullivan & Cromwell. He often took extended foreign trips, and the letters he wrote home to Clover were full of references to other women that could at best be read as insensitive, at worst as taunting.

In one he wrote of a night out with “an attractive (not beautiful) Irish-French female whom I took to Scheherazade, where we stayed until the early hours.” In another, the subject was a “rather good-looking” English woman with whom he “danced and drank champagne until quite late.”

Other women he reported meeting included “a charming widow,” “a most pleasant companion,” “a young English damsel,” “a very delightful person” and “a sensible soul, also by no means ugly.”

After one Atlantic crossing he proudly wrote to Clover that “on the whole I have kept rather free from any entanglements, and in particular there have been no ladies on board with whom I have particularly consorted.”

As if to pour salt in her emotional wounds, Dulles wrote in another letter that he didn’t “deserve as good a wife as I have, as I am rather too fond of the company of other ladies.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/10/opinion/when-a-cia-director-had-scores-of-affairs.html?_r=0

fashion frank

One Too Many
I read through all of these pages and I must say that I enjoyed it and I would weight in and agree with most of the posters here that times might have been tougher than they are today but that being said times were "better " than today in terms of morals and how people treat each other .

I would pefer to live in the era right after WWII , or even the mid to late 30's and to be honest I cant stand the P.C. today, "C "rap music ,the way the great unwashed masses "dress" themsleves nobody has any "class' anymore etc.etc.etc. I could go on and on but I know you get the drift.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe