Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

oily hair....

Rainbow

Familiar Face
Help......what can I do about my oily hair? I can wash it and 2 hrs. later it's oily, that's even without using conditioner. My hair is very fine. Maybe I need an alcohol-based mousse or something. I would love to have your input. I hope this hasn't already been posted somewhere.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Rainbow said:
Help......what can I do about my oily hair? I can wash it and 2 hrs. later it's oily, that's even without using conditioner. My hair is very fine. Maybe I need an alcohol-based mousse or something. I would love to have your input. I hope this hasn't already been posted somewhere.

Do you use a shampoo that's specially formulated for oily hair?

dashiell

One of the Regulars
My Grandmother did two things for this problem, but not at the same time. One, she used bar soap to wash her hair. Two, if she had more time, she boiled mint and added the liquid to her shampoo. I don't recall how much mint she used, though ... sorry!

Josephine

One Too Many
You might be using too harsh of a shampoo. You're stripping all the natural oils from your scalp, and it overcompensates by trying to replace the missing oil. I only use conditioner to clean my hair, so unfortunately I don't have a gentle shampoo to recommend.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Hi Rainbow, you could try Phyto's range they are expensive but as the ingredients are much higher quality than the ingredients used in regualar shampoos etc I find that they last ages as you don't need to use so much.
I can't say that I've used the oily hair range as I have the complete opposite problem to you but all I will say is that everytime I try a new product from their range I am always delighted with the results.

Here is a link that I found for the U.S : http://beautyexclusive.com/phyto-oily-scalp-hair-care.html

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Josephine said:
. . . You're stripping all the natural oils from your scalp, and it overcompensates by trying to replace the missing oil. I only use conditioner to clean my hair, . . .

[huh] Wow! I hadn't thought of that!
Sounds very interesting.
Please tell more details: what made you think to use only conditioner; what experiences were you having before; which conditioner are you using; how long have you been using only conditioner; etc

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I switched to Jason's Shampoo and Conditioner with Jojoba oil after getting very dry scalp this summer. This has helped quite a bit, and I have been able to go from washing my hair every day to washing it every other day. I had oily hair before, but not as bad as yours.

Thanks to GlueGun, I have become more interested in the chemicals in my beauty products. The shampoo isn't as good as the conditioner, but here is a link to SkinDeep's analysis of the products I mentioned

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/product.php?prod_id=92353&refurl=/wordsearch.php?query=jason&
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/product.php?prod_id=68757&refurl=/wordsearch.php?query=jason&

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I'm also trying to combat my oily hair by not washing it so much! Sounds counterproductive, but the principles have been said above - the more you wash and strip your hair, the more it tries to compensate. I use a shampoo by Avalon (http://www.avalonorganics.com/?id=88&pid=30) that helps my scalp, and has no nasties in it. I'm currently washing every 4 days, but the last one I do have to wear a bandana to hide my greasy roots. But before It was a bandana on the third day, and before that, on the second. So I'm noticing an improvement.

I also change my pillow case every 2 days, with a fresh side every night. That helps too.

nyx

One of the Regulars
I have the same problem with very oily hair. I recently read in the new Sephora catalog about a product made by Ojon that sprays in and then can be brushed out to refresh dirty hair. I went to Sally's Beauty supply and picked up a similar product (although much cheaper). I'm planning on trying it, so I'll let you know the results, but if you can't wait, I'd suggest picking some up. It was only about 5 bucks.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
nyx said:
I have the same problem with very oily hair. I recently read in the new Sephora catalog about a product made by Ojon that sprays in and then can be brushed out to refresh dirty hair. I went to Sally's Beauty supply and picked up a similar product (although much cheaper). I'm planning on trying it, so I'll let you know the results, but if you can't wait, I'd suggest picking some up. It was only about 5 bucks.

You can also just sprinkle talcum powder or corn starch on a natural bristle brush and brush it through to help absorb the extra oil.

Rainbow

Familiar Face
Thanks....

In my opinion, you ladies are "beauty" therapists...hehe.... There are several things here I'm going to try. I will let you know how it works out....

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
nyx said:

Name of the less than $5 product I can get at Sally's?

nyx

One of the Regulars
Leading Edge said:
Name of the less than $5 product I can get at Sally's?

lol I was just trying to remember that so I could edit my post. I'm at work right now (and obviously not working!) so I'll have to check for you when I get home. I'll post it this evening.

Blondie

Practically Family
Are you washing your hair everyday ?
You need to set aside a couple of weeks, wash your hair every second day for 4 days, then try only washing it every 3 days. This worked for me, now i only wash it twice a week !

nyx

One of the Regulars
The name of the product from Sally's was Batiste dry shampoo, but it is a spray, not the powder kind. They had a couple of other products too, but that was the one I picked to try. As I said, I'll let you know how it works for me. :)

Josephine

One Too Many
Leading Edge said:
Please tell more details: what made you think to use only conditioner; what experiences were you having before; which conditioner are you using; how long have you been using only conditioner; etc

I learned about CO (Conditioner Only) Washing from The Long Hair Community, (who have a very good tutorial here)and more specifically from Lorraine Massey's The Curly Girl. Basically curly hair needs more moisture than straight hair and shampooing strips it.

Before I would use a shampoo, then conditioner, like everyone else. I had wavy/curly hair, but it was more dry Rosanna Roseannadanna than soft, shiny, nice curls. After I began CO, my hair was a lot less frizzy and started to curl more. I've been CO now for about 2 years, and I wash my hair about one every 5-7 days. I also don't usually use any mousse, gel, or hairspray that I need to get out of my hair when I wash. If I do, I use a baking soda wash and apple cider vinegar rinse. It might sound like a lot of trouble when you read it all, but it's like any routine, once you get into it it becomes automatic. And the result is well worth it, IMO.

Unfortunately since my hair is long and henna'ed, it's not as curly as it was before. But my hair's structure is still the same so I still CO. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld