Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, the humanity

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
C-dot said:
I wonder how many people came out to lick the pavement?

True story:

In Los Angeles, during Prohibition, a local businessman held a big party at his town club suite. Now, this fellow had imported a lot of very fine liquor just before Prohibition took effect, so he was able to legally serve the stuff to his guests.

Hours into the party, the booze began to run out ... so the businessman called for a cask of whiskey to be brought up to his suite. The boy bringing the cask tripped and dropped it on the hallway's marble floor. The container broke into a million pieces, and whiskey flowed freely down the hallway.

When the businessman saw what had happened, he grabbed a handful of drinking straws and tossed them to his guests, saying: "There's $200 worth of Irish whiskey on the floor out here. Suck it up!" And you know what? That's exactly what those folks in tuxedos and evening gowns did. They got down on the floor and started drinking the booze with their straws.

The 1920s in a nutshell. And the businessman in question? James Oviatt.

Marc Chevalier said:
True story:

In Los Angeles, during Prohibition, a local businessman held a big party at his town club suite. Now, this fellow had imported a lot of very fine liquor just before Prohibition took effect, so he was able to legally serve the stuff to his guests.

Hours into the party, the booze began to run out ... so the businessman called for a cask of whiskey to be brought up to his suite. The boy bringing the cask tripped and dropped it on the hallway's marble floor. The container broke into a million pieces, and whiskey flowed freely down the hallway.

When the businessman saw what had happened, he grabbed a handful of drinking straws and tossed them to his guests, saying: "There's $200 worth of Irish whiskey on the floor out here. Suck it up!" And you know what? That's exactly what those folks in tuxedos and evening gowns did. They got down on the floor and started drinking the booze with their straws.

The smart guests got large sponges and threw away the straws. ;) :p

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
True story:

Now that inspires a frantic, John Held Jr.-esque illustration!

Cigarband

A-List Customer
oh-the-huge-manatee.jpg

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
Up until last month I worked in a liquor warehouse. Never saw any spills that size but I did see a guy knock down about 12 pallets of Crown Royal. I think he ended up breaking 352 liter size bottles. I broke my fair share while I was there too. Some of the wines and cheap liquors were pretty smelly but it was always nice smelling if someone broke a pallet of cognac, and gin makes the whole warehouse smell like Christmas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe