Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
having the late night munchies is a bad habit! I know, I've gotten into it! It never fails when I sit down to watch a movie (which I have been these last couple of weeks) that I need some kind of snack to go with it!
I've been buying some dance exercise tapes that I've been finding to be really good. I'm finding it's bringing my flexibility back, along with firming up some areas!
My goal lately, which I've been failing miserably at, is eating more veggies...I can eat fruit like no tomorrow, but the green stuff, whole different story!

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Oh Boy!

Wow I'm impressed with you ladies. I feel quite ashamed. I did walk 2 miles today to get to the training day but usually my exercise is getting in and out of the car :eek: I want to try and address this by walking after work around town and getting my bike out. I need motivation but I think it would take a bomb up my butt to do it!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
LIke in the movie' what about bob' take baby steps :D start by taking stairs instead of the elevator and so on, or don't park right in front of a store but a little bit away

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Sorry girls, but I just gotta brag... I made goal at Weight Watchers today!!!!!!!! Wooooohooooo!!
I was also in an accident today so making goal made me feel ALOT better!

And for the record, I have tried EVERY diet/plan out there over the last 17 years, and it still comes down to WW is the most practical. Offers food that everyone likes, and it's healthy.

My second favorite option would be TOPS, (TAke off POunds Sensibly). I was a leader for my meetings there for years.

Best wishes to everyone on their journies!

I promised myself I'd start exercising when I got to goal... so here goes!!!

Nikki

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Congratulations, Nikki!

I tried WW years ago, as a young teenager. I'm considering giving it a go again, now that I'm older and (hopefully) have more discipline.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Congratulations!! Now if I could just find my motivation... *reaches for bag of Valentine's candy*

ohairas said:
Sorry girls, but I just gotta brag... I made goal at Weight Watchers today!!!!!!!! Wooooohooooo!!
I was also in an accident today so making goal made me feel ALOT better!

Nikki

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap awesome ohairas!!!!
lolita-lolita- lol reminds me of a friend of mine..she'll get to the part of actually putting in a exercise video but will view it on the couch eating chocolate:)
Chocolate has always been a bit of a weakness! I do find however that the dark chocolate (maybe because it's not as sweet?) I feel like I only need a small amount to feel happy/satisfied.

lindylady

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I have a sweet tooth, which is why going to the gym and doing cardio really helps. Dancing is very cardio heavy of course, but for me a night of dancing doesn't even compare to a run on the treadmill!

When I'm really trying to be good, fruit is my sweet treat...but if that isn't enough, you might try Nutella with an apple - chocolate spread that's actually slightly better for you than peanut butter. Sign me up! Just control your serving sizes, since it's super delicious.

Nutella! I haven't had that in years! I'm going to pick up a jar the next time I hit the grocery store.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Ha! I think it's very normal!

I must say that since the wedding and the holidays, I've needed to get back into the gym but haven't found the zest for it.

But now I'm ready to head out to the gym--it just needs to happen! Hooray!

kath

New in Town
I eat dried fruit to quench sweet cravings. I also found that after a week or two of depriving myself of sweets altogether, I don't crave them anymore.

I am also struggling to lose weight (50 lbs would be nice). It's slow going, but it is going! I run, walk, do weights and core exercise on the ball. I refuse to do a diet, though I do watch what i eat now. I need to do something I can keep doing my whole life. My mom has been on every diet, but they have only worked for a while. She's looks the best now since she married (30 years ago), and she only walks (up a very steep hill). Plus to stay healthy, you are only supposed to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
I put on about five pounds over the holiday season, and I really can't afford to gain weight. I've decided to get back on the exercise wagon in the hopes of losing more than just those five pounds.

For exercise I'm trying for four days a week of cardio, at least to start. I'm using my collection of work out tapes. From past experience though, I think it really matters more what I eat. To that end I'm considering joining Weight Watchers, but I'm not sure that it's worth the price.

jugband1

New in Town
I was considering it too-- anyone have any idea of a ballpark cost for WW? I have never done it, and don't really know how it works except that food is assigned point values and that you go in to meeting with other members...

k

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I walk about 2-3 miles a day. (occasionally more but not often enough to pat myself on the back for it) and I'm trying to add in cardio.

The biggest difference for me is diet. That's what makes or breaks it as far as I can tell.

"Fluffy" all through my childhood, right now I'm the smallest I've ever been since age 12, but I'm still working on it. The good thing is I see progress. The bad thing is pretty much everything I grew up doing/eating was wrong. :rage:

-Viola

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Weight Watchers costs about 9-12 dollars a week, depending on where you live and how you pay. You can also just sign up online, I don't know how much that is.

However, you do not NEED to go and pay each week. If you feel you can do it on your own after getting the materials, ect.. then great! But I really wanted to attend every meeting and get goal, and then I don't have to pay anymore. I like that I can be an inspiration for others. And of course I'll tell you now that it's the best money I ever spent, LOL!

The CORE plan to me is NOT a "DIET". It's simply a way of eating for life that is very practical. WW has two plans, the other is Flex points. Both plans incorporate 35 points a week to spend as you wish.. on anything! For instance, a beer or glass of wine is two points, cheesecake is about 8,
a candy bar averages about 7, a slice of cheese is 2. And some of those restaurant salads can have a whopping 42 points in them!!!!!

If you need the points books and point calculator, I believe the set costs about $25.. you will use them often and I think they are worth it. You can take the calculator to the store and look up any item.

If you like the WW program and still want to weigh in every week to be accountable, but don't want to pay the price, then I really reccomend TOPS.

And just to add, dried fruit is actually worse that eating fresh. It turns to straight sugar basically, which turns to fat if your body can't use it. Your body has to work to digest fresh fruit and it will fill you up longer.

Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe