Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
desi_de_lu_lu said:
It is so funny how all the beautiful actresses from the 40's and 50's kept their looks so wrinkle free when all that some of them did was SMOKE! I don't get it?

Today smoking is the social kiss of death.

I think that maybe the cigarettes years ago had different additives?? But I don't know. I certainly did not live in the 40's and 50's... and I also have never smoked before. Just an observation...

retromom147

One of the Regulars
desi_de_lu_lu said:
That is the one primary reason I quit. (Well, that and the health factor)

My boyfriend and I want to get pregnant soon after we get married. I can't even think of being near smoke when that happens!

:eusa_clap GONGRATULATIONS!!! A baby and a family I am so happy for you!:D

retromom147

One of the Regulars
PolkaDotMeggie said:
I think that maybe the cigarettes years ago had different additives?? But I don't know. I certainly did not live in the 40's and 50's... and I also have never smoked before. Just an observation...

Iasked my grandpa who was a 30's and 40's cowboy out here about the cigarettes not causing aging and cancer and he said he was a chainsmoker and that there was no cancer because there was no nicotine or additives and that they rolled cigarettes themselves but he did say they caused aging and wrinkles. I don't know...I just know I enjoy smoking alot and have to find a way to quite once and for all not just cause I'm pregnant or breastfeeding.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
retromom147 said:
:eusa_clap GONGRATULATIONS!!! A baby and a family I am so happy for you!:D

Thank you!

Of course, if I am still living in Tucson and prego in the middle of the summer.. I will be crying myself to sleep every night.

Nothing is worse than being super pregnant in 100+ degree heat, so I have heard.

:(

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
desi_de_lu_lu said:
That is the one primary reason I quit. (Well, that and the health factor)

My boyfriend and I want to get pregnant soon after we get married. I can't even think of being near smoke when that happens!

WAIT WHAT!!!!! Where have I been ??? How did I miss this big news????:eek: WHEN!!!! DETAILS!!! Did I miss something in LJ land???:eusa_doh:

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
:eek:fftopic:

MaryDeluxe said:
WAIT WHAT!!!!! Where have I been ??? How did I miss this big news????:eek: WHEN!!!! DETAILS!!! Did I miss something in LJ land???:eusa_doh:

AY! :rolleyes:

I haven't posted it formally in LJ land. We are talking June 12, 2008.

I also haven't said anything much because you know of the whole debacle with my ex. So I am taking it slooooow.

But yeah, he wants to elope to Vegas in June. :D

So that means I have to make another dress.............!

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
desi_de_lu_lu said:

AY! :rolleyes:

I haven't posted it formally in LJ land. We are talking June 12, 2008.

I also haven't said anything much because you know of the whole debacle with my ex. So I am taking it slooooow.

But yeah, he wants to elope to Vegas in June. :D

So that means I have to make another dress.............!

OMG OMG OMG YAY! Shhhhhhhhhhh :D

retromom147

One of the Regulars
Hoping to put some Oomph back into this thread plus I was in the store today and what I saw made me think of this thread. I'm all fo Nutrition and exercise and having all the curves while maintaining a healthy weight so when I saw the alli diet program I seriously considered trying it to drop the baby weight after this baby "pops out".
:eek:fftopic: Pregnant again:rolleyes: I can understand it...first baby was conceived a few months before hubby's Iraq deployment and this one a few months after...but C'mon. I'm done for a long while after this one. lol
Anyway, the alli program is approved by the FDA and isn't a miracle weight loss pill, but a pill that coincides with good nutrition and a healthy active lifestyle. That means no murdering yourself at the gym! I mean c'mon...if we wanted to drop the weight like a miracle and we didn't mind pain, we'd be preparing ourselves for the Ironman triathalon, right ladies? Anyway, it's something to look into.[huh]

P.S. The price range is shocking in it's genre, but it is a "lifestyle" thing not an unhealthy "miracle" drug.:p

anabolina

A-List Customer
Congrats Retromom on the new baby. Have you looked up any reviews of Alli? I've heard about some nasty gastro-intestinal side effects. If you go for it, I hope it works.

I just started trying the couch to 5k running program that Kamikat mentioned over the the Powder Room and I like it, although I still can't do all the running segments. I just feel better when exercising I guess. That podcast to go with it is really helpful too.
http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page6/page6.html

How's everyone planning on getting through Thanksgiving healthily?

I'm going to go on a walk after the food and eat mostly salad and the turkey and make my own lower calorie pumpkin pie and green bean casserole since the rest of the family was not amenable to eating healthy food at Thanksgiving.

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
Well, I'm in the wrong area of the world for Thanksgiving, but I've just finished my undergraduate thesis and have discovered that there's a whole world away from my desk, so I plan to get up from my chair and do a bit of exercise. I'm starting with the housework. :p Then I'll move on to skipping/walking/cardio and doing the Joyce Vedral Definition workout, which always seems to get me feeling lively again. Since I can do it at home with free weights and basic routine only takes fifteen minutes a day I can always fit it in, too.

retromom147

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the link anabolina...and I will definetely do some more research on the Alli. Btw I always found that if I ate salad with or without chicken for two meals two days before Thanksgiving and two salad meals two days after it all seems to work out with me gaining about a pound or two and that I can handle. Our family doesn't eat all day and we eat at about 4-5 in the afternoon. Hope you get stuffed and have a GREAT time.
Hugs and happy Thanksgiving!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
anabolina said:
Congrats Retromom on the new baby. Have you looked up any reviews of Alli? I've heard about some nasty gastro-intestinal side effects. If you go for it, I hope it works.

I just started trying the couch to 5k running program that Kamikat mentioned over the the Powder Room and I like it, although I still can't do all the running segments. I just feel better when exercising I guess. That podcast to go with it is really helpful too.
http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page6/page6.html

How's everyone planning on getting through Thanksgiving healthily?

I'm going to go on a walk after the food and eat mostly salad and the turkey and make my own lower calorie pumpkin pie and green bean casserole since the rest of the family was not amenable to eating healthy food at Thanksgiving.

I've heard some nasty stuff about Alli too...kinda gross..[bad]

I haven't tried the couch potato to 5k bit yet, still working up my endurance walking 4 mi in an hour. When I can cut it a bit shorter then I know I'll be able to handle the running segments. 10 pounds lighter would help too! ;)

As for Thanksgiving, I mostly load up on veggies (not sweet potatoes or corn) have a little bit of stuffing (because it's the BEST!) and a good portion of white meat Turkey. I usually have myslef a little slice of pie, and a tiny bit of champagne and drink water the rest of the day. I find I end up losing weight every Thanksgiving. It's the rest of the year i ahve the problem!!lol

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
Oh gosh, Alli, isn't that the one that works by causing you to...um...lose control of yourself if you eat too much fat?? Google says yes! :eek: :eek:

umm..yup....they say when you first start it to bring an extra change of pants and unmentionables.......for the unmentionable may happen....lol so I said, nope, not for me

so if someone was to do the Alli diet it sounds like it would be best to start while on vacation or if your on of the people who have a 3 day weekend.

Faythe {{down from 245 in June to currenty 215 yay!!!}}

$ally

One Too Many
I lost 10 lbs in a week by dumping a crummy beaufriend...
yeah, that's about how much he weighed

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
I had to quit my gym membership because it was up and I didn't want to sign for another year, which was fine because I just did my exercising outside. My dog makes me go for a walk every night anyway, she'll get huffy and growl at me until I put her leash on. But now that it's cold I haven't been wanting to run outside so I joined this 24 hour gym place down the street from me, it's great! It has everything my old expensive gym did except a pool for half the price...I'm trying to go a lot during the week. It's such a stress reliever for me and I have been really tired lately so it kinda keeps my body in check.
As for nutrition, I am really strong willed. I gave up pop in high school, I only wanted to go from like 6 (at least!) pops a day to 1 or 2. I ended up hating pop all together and I cannot drink even a little bit now, it's too syrup-y. I gave up smoking after realizing I NEEDED to have one every few hours, that makes me sick now too. The only thing I haven't stuck with is caffeine...I just can't give that up. Also I was told to give up coffee and tea recently because I have a low blood count, buuuuut I already gave up pop, juice is too sugary, and I'm not drinking ONLY water, so oh well. I try to eat healthy because I'm 22 and have been in and out of the doctor with a lot of problems that haven't been explained yet. But I do not diet. DIETS DON'T WORK! If you want to lose weight and not gain it back, you have to go through a lifestyle change with eating and exercise habits. Diets are just a big fad and doesn't keep the weight off for good, indulge a little in things you crave and you won't go on a mass junk food eating binge.

zaika

One Too Many
anabolina...i'm starting the C25K, too. i've actually started twice before, but back then it was too hard because i weighed too much. now it should be better. i've buildt up muscle since then. we shall see.

i didn't know kamikat did that too! sheesh. where have i been?

we should start a C25K thread...get us ladies out there, inspired, and running! lol :p

wannabe40sgirl

New in Town
My weight has always been an issue my whole life. I was my skinniest in highschool, but it wasn't healthy because I basically was anorexic and depressed and refused to eat. ANYWHO, I got my heaviest a few years back and kinda just went up and down until this past January. At my work we had a Biggest Loser contest, and as sad as it is to say, the thing I was motivated by was the prize the winner got( a tummy tuck and $500)! LOL well I ended losing 35lbs from january to April and I won the contest (I didn't get the tummy tuck, but did get the mula). I owe it all to jogging tho, it's my life saver. I started out joggin a half mile and worked my way up to 5.5 miles. I love it. Since the contest, I've lost 5 more pounds and feel great and have been learning to maintain my weight and have been successful thus far. I'm at a average weight (well for me atleast) and I'm able to wear sooo many more things than I ever could before!! Now instead of my mom asking to borrow something from me, i'm giving her my stuff because I can't wear it anymore!! I'm really worried about the holidays though. I'm not gonna let myself cave in to all the delectable (sp) treats. I'm the baker of the family, so I'm using as much fat free, low fat stuff as I can. And i'm definitely going to splurge on as much salad and fresh veggies as i can, cause i would definitely rather fill up on those than other bad stuff. Although I can't resist broccoli rice casserole...it's my fav!!! :p

Megan

retromom147

One of the Regulars
wannabe40sgirl said:
My weight has always been an issue my whole life. I was my skinniest in highschool, but it wasn't healthy because I basically was anorexic and depressed and refused to eat. ANYWHO, I got my heaviest a few years back and kinda just went up and down until this past January. At my work we had a Biggest Loser contest, and as sad as it is to say, the thing I was motivated by was the prize the winner got( a tummy tuck and $500)! LOL well I ended losing 35lbs from january to April and I won the contest (I didn't get the tummy tuck, but did get the mula). I owe it all to jogging tho, it's my life saver. I started out joggin a half mile and worked my way up to 5.5 miles. I love it. Since the contest, I've lost 5 more pounds and feel great and have been learning to maintain my weight and have been successful thus far. I'm at a average weight (well for me atleast) and I'm able to wear sooo many more things than I ever could before!! Now instead of my mom asking to borrow something from me, i'm giving her my stuff because I can't wear it anymore!! I'm really worried about the holidays though. I'm not gonna let myself cave in to all the delectable (sp) treats. I'm the baker of the family, so I'm using as much fat free, low fat stuff as I can. And i'm definitely going to splurge on as much salad and fresh veggies as i can, cause i would definitely rather fill up on those than other bad stuff. Although I can't resist broccoli rice casserole...it's my fav!!! :p

Megan

Congratulation Megan! That's awsome! Hope the Holiday's are kind to you...I'm a little worried too 'cause there isn't alot you can do to maintain weight when you're pregnant and I guess the goal is to gain 30-40lbs. Yikes:eusa_doh: But I'll do my best to be good if you will ;)
Hugs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld