Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutria supply!

Annixter

Practically Family
Nutria meat really is quite delicious, not unlike a suckling. Many Farmers in the European countries continued raising small numbers of Nutria after the market for Nutria fur went down, just for their meat.

It's a shame the greater American economy and society doesn't take advantage of these types of animal overpopulation. Modern research warns us about the dangers of desertification, corn products (including corn-fed livestock), etc., so what better way to feed people than to trap and process a destructive population of nutria that will feed in the wild whether they are trapped or not? California, among other states, has a similar problem with deer. With the prices of many meats in the US supposed to increase this fall due to drought, I sure would snatch up nutria or deer meat at half the price of beef if I had the chance if they were available--although nutria are ugly buggers; then again, a cow isn't much of a looker either.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
It's a shame the greater American economy and society doesn't take advantage of these types of animal overpopulation. Modern research warns us about the dangers of desertification, corn products (including corn-fed livestock), etc., so what better way to feed people than to trap and process a destructive population of nutria that will feed in the wild whether they are trapped or not? California, among other states, has a similar problem with deer. With the prices of many meats in the US supposed to increase this fall due to drought, I sure would snatch up nutria or deer meat at half the price of beef if I had the chance if they were available--although nutria are ugly buggers; then again, a cow isn't much of a looker either.

As a matter of fact, in Louisiana a $ 2.1 Million publicity campaign was carried out to encourage the consumption of Nutria meat. Here are a couple of online articles that seem to originate from the campaign.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/invasives-hunting-dining-fashion-120124.html

http://www.americaswetlandresources...s_animals_ecology/animals/mammals/nutria.html

I wonder if the meat really is readily available to buy there...

Last edited:

Annixter

Practically Family
Might have to make my way down South if they are available. I'd be all in for a good tasting if I could get the stuff in the Northeast or West Coast of America, although I don't know if showing multiple pictures of the ratty little things is the best advertising decision. :p Just give me the escargot and don't show me pictures of snails crawling in my garden, please.:D

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Might have to make my way down South if they are available. I'd be all in for a good tasting if I could get the stuff in the Northeast or West Coast of America, although I don't know if showing multiple pictures of the ratty little things is the best advertising decision. :p Just give me the escargot and don't show me pictures of snails crawling in my garden, please.:D

lol lol I think you have a point there.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
. . . has become one of the Gulf South’s most
notorious invasive species, wreaking ecological havoc on native wetland vegetation and contributing
to coastal erosion problems.

Sounds a lot like homo sapiens, but for the fact that our destructive tendencies are much more widespread.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've often thought this same thing Annixter. I would think that Nutria would go a long way in feeding the world's hungry. Butchered, processed, freeze dried, jerky... I would think that some Hollywood altruist would be on this in a heartbeat for a charitable cause. Homeless people employed in the processing plant, warehouses and shipping - the PR value alone would be worth it.

-dixon cannon

Given that Nutria was considered a secondary felt to beaver (according to an extensive Apparel Arts article in 1932), I wonder why nutria hats are so beloved? Better than coney, certainly, but not near to beaver …

bk

Beaver did not always produce the finest or most desired finishes (for example Austrian Velours). The speciality Rabbit / Hare furs that were used for such finishes were commonly in short supply. Also the finishing processes were long / involved and not well known to American companies. You see this mentioned over and over again in American hat trade papers from the time period.

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Beaver did not always produce the finest or most desired finishes (for example Austrian Velours). The main Rabbit / Hare furs that were used for such finishes were commonly in short supply. Also the finishing processes were long / involved and not well known to American companies. You see this mentioned over and over again in American hat trade papers from the time period.

100% agree, Steve. I know its an argument that's been brought up time and time again, but Beaver is not the be-all end-all of hat materials. Don't get me wrong, beaver felts extremely densely and can be pounced to a very fine and soft finish. Someone should purchase a hat based on what they will use it for. I have owned a few very early (late 1890's/early 1900's) Nutria felt hats and let me say they are tough as all hell. I have seen many old Western hats made from Nutria and I can understand why. Even though the Nutria fur doesn't pounce down quite as soft as beaver (nutria can still be made to be very soft), its a very utilitarian material. For the early cowboys, they wanted tough, durable hats that could take a beating. Beaver was expensive and fairly over hunted at that point, so Nutria was the next best thing. I think once Nutria was widely used, it was realized what a valuable commodity it really was. Arguably, Nutria may be a more "durable" felt than Beaver. By durable I mean the amount of physical punishment it can take. I often hear loungers talk down about rabbit/wide hare fur as compared to Beaver. I am fairly confident that almost every pre-1940 hat that I own is a rabbit/wild hare mix. The same hats that people always talk about being the best that ever was made, and they are right. As Steve said, those incredible Austrian velours (The best velours ever made) were all Rabbit/Wild hare.

Art Fawcett's Hicthhiker & Journeyman models are Nutria blend felt bodies.

Art's Journeyman is going to be put to the test this deer season for sure.
Photo-0124.jpg

Three nutria westerns

1930s - finely pounced, but not as fine as a clear beaver. Very durable.

nutria2.jpg

Likely 1920s - Nutria fur finish. Incredibly soft and silky.

1.jpg

4.jpg

nutriafur10.jpg

Hi Steve,

Percentage of nutria fur in the felt is unknown to me. I believe there was a Stetson "clear nutria quality" which I have not seen.

The first hat is "real nutria quality" with these marks

nutria6.jpg

nutria9.jpg

The two furry hats are very similar in age and feel - both unlined with the "made of real nutria fur" mark:

nutriafur18.jpg

The oldest nutria that I have is a Stetson with the Fray sweat and this mark:

fray4.jpg

It is quite soft with none of the coarseness that we hear spoken of in nutria westerns. In your hand you would think it a fine hare felt.

fray1.jpg

Alan, Thanks for the detailed follow-up. They do look fantastic! Stetson did push the fur content of their hats. I have never seen fur content mentioned on early German or Austrian made hats.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I just recently purchased What Price Glory's 1911 Campaign Hat that they advertise as being made of Nutria. Once I get the hat in my hands I'll review the felt quality & finish here.
m1911hat.jpg

Should be here by the middle of the week.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deuter