Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Number of handbags and pairs of shoes?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Back when I had the money to be, I was a shoe fiend -- even though I'm off the buying list at the moment I still have about a dozen pairs that I actually wear, but of those only three pairs get rotated for everyday use. Handbags, not so many -- I've got my brown pigskin WAC bag for everyday, a black calf handbag for dressier occasions, and a satin evening bag for that once-a-year occasion when I go formal. I think I just lack the ambition necessary to transfer all my stuff from one bag to another!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
While I love to look at shoes, I actually own very few pairs. I have a pair of runners, 2 pairs of sandals (one casual Birkenstock, one dressy) and one pair of loafers and one pair of black heels. I need more, since except the runners and Birkenstock, all my shoes are black. As for handbags, I have one black winter bag and one white and tan summer bag. I tend to spend my shoe and bag money on fabric and cosmetics ;)

edited to add: I forgot that hubby just bought me a pair of Doc Marten black and white wing tip oxfords.

Smuterella

One Too Many
oh heavens

I have three boxes full of handbags and about 50 pairs of shoes

also, I just had a wardrobe clear out of dodgy mistake purrchases and there were 7 large bags to go to charity!

*blush*

TessTrueheart

I find that owning too much stuff makes me nervous. Right now, I own too many articles of clothing, I blame that on working extra in a clothing shop.:eusa_doh: I have two big handbags, one weekend bag, a computer bag, two vintage straw bags and a small embriodered evening bag. That is all I need. This winter, one pair of boots, one pair of oxfords and one pair of walking shoes has been enough to see me through.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I have 22 handbags. Some of them were gifts that I have never used because I never have the opportunity, and some are things that I purchased so that II'd have handbags and shoes to match particular outfits. There are a couple that are unusable and need repairs. I'm really big on matching the handbag/shoes/belt and having the right color options to go with all of my frocks. This does not include the regular totebag-style that I carry to work most days because I have too much junk to haul around.

I have about 45 pair of shoes, of which 25 pair are heels, 9 of which are vintage. With a few exceptions like red, white, brown, navy or leopard, almost all of them are black. I have 2 pair of wedges (red and vintage black ones), 7 pair of boots (combat boots, winter boots, riding boots, ankle boots, vintage cowboy boots), 4 pair of Chucks, a couple pair of flats, saddle shoes, sandals and some other basic comfy day to day styles. While I am without a car, I am wearing my black ballet flats on pretty much a daily basis, because I can tuck them into my bag and change out of my winter boots at work. Once I have a car back, I will be back to wearing heels more often. They're just not practical when you walk everywhere.

I like variety and choice when I'm going into my closet and try to decide what to wear. And I firmly believe that shoes and handbag can go a long way to changing the entire look of an outfit. The difference between wearing jeans and a vintage blouse with Converse, cowboy boots, or high heels, is a pretty big one that can change the entire look. I also think that an entire outfit is really made with the details - shoes, handbag, belt, jewelry - so I really try to have a lot of options so that I can get the look I'm seeking.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I can't afford to have many looks, although I can't say it has ever cut back on the looks I get. :) (Assuming they are of the complimentary kind, although one never knows!)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
PrettySquareGal said:
I can't afford to have many looks, although I can't say it has ever cut back on the looks I get. :) (Assuming they are of the complimentary kind, although one never knows!)

Well, I must say that I am very frugal when it comes to shopping. I don't think I've ever spent more than $15 or $20 for a pair of shoes or a handbag on Ebay, often significantly less. I buy most of my shoes and handbags at Target, Payless, Sears or at thrift stores. Especially within the past couple of years, there has been no shortage of inexpensive repro options that are widely available!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
Well, I must say that I am very frugal when it comes to shopping. I don't think I've ever spent more than $15 or $20 for a pair of shoes or a handbag on Ebay, often significantly less. I buy most of my shoes and handbags at Target, Payless, Sears or at thrift stores. Especially within the past couple of years, there has been no shortage of inexpensive repro options that are widely available!

I usually have to pay around $130 per pair since I have old lady feet/issues.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Separated at birth?

goldwyn girl said:
Until I down sized a while back I had over 200 pairs of shoes, I still have over 100 and so many bags that I have no idea how many there really are. What can I say I love "stuff" :)

Me too, I stopped counting at 200 pairs. Granted, some of them are delicate vintage ones that seldom get worn. And handbags? I am guessing about 50 or more - they live in a huge dresser drawer and I am running out of space!

I suppose if I was one of those minimalist types that could get along with only a few of anything, I never would have become a collector.

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:

I buy all my shoes at DSW, and about 95% of those come from the clearance section, so it keeps my average cost down too. And that pesky wide availabilty of repro shoes are why I'm buying so many of them lately lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld