Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Novice in Rhode Island looking for a haberdasher & Akubra advice

wenestvedt

New in Town
I am a newcomer to this site, and have been searching and reading for a couple of weeks. I have a couple of questions that I haven't yet found an answer for, however, and I am hopeful that someone here can offer some advice.

I want a hat to wear outside on walks and in the yard and while watching the kids' games, etc., to keep the sun from burning my scalp to an ash. (Tim Bray, who runs O'Reilly & Asscoates, the single most important technical publisher in the U.S., writes in a brief piece on hats -- which he assembled as a teen -- that "I usually wear a hat when outdoors, as a fashion statement and on the advice of my physician, who says that bald white guys either wear hats outside or are wearing a cancer farm on top of their head.")

The Akubra hats get a lot of compliments, and the Cattleman seems to be a handsome hat without being too western. (Sorry.)

1. Are there any store in the Providence, RI, area where I could get my head measured by someone competent, and possibly try on a few hats to see whether I like them? I am worried about ordering something sight unseen and untried!

2. I have kind of a big head -- a lot of forehead mostly -- and I'm curious about what hat styles in general best suit different face types. Are there rules of thumb for this? Can I, for example, post a picture somewhere and get suggestions from people with more experience? (I know a lot of it is personal preference, but I would hate to make a imstake that I come to regret on Day 91 of the return period!)

Thanks for any suggestions.

- Will
(Wow, that got longer than I expected!)

R

Red Beard

Hi Will. Welcome to the Fedora Lounge.

I can't help with finding a hat store near you, but I do own two Akubras. A Squatter, which is a low crown, wide brim (3") fedora and Bushman, which is an early/pre fedora hat with a thin ribbon. Both are great hats, and I'd suggest either one. Also look into the "Sydney" model (called the "Fedora" on Hatsdirect.com).

When it comes to face/body shape and hats, I don't think it matters much. If you wear what looks good to you, you'll be comfortable and that transfers over to how you'll be perceived. That said, look here http://www.millerhats.com/hatcare_index/hatfaces.html

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
WILL,

GREAT TO SEE YOU COME ON BOARD FROM THE SHAVING FORUMS...

I told you that you will be warmly welcomed and assited by some of the best guys and gals in the world.....

Just hang on thight and the advice will start coming in...

good to have you...

mark the shoeshine boy

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
G'Day Mate!! Welcome aboard

You are buying a round aren't you?? Anyway, two places come to mind. If you are new you need to trust the places your buying from will be square shooters. Miller Hats is an excellent choice as mentioned in a previous thread. Also, hard to go wrong with Aarons Hats. Kind of in your neck of the woods to boot.

MattJH

One Too Many
wenestvedt said:
The Akubra hats get a lot of compliments, and the Cattleman seems to be a handsome hat without being too western. (Sorry.)

No apology needed -- I'm with you. The Western look isn't for me, either.

I own an Akubra Cattleman that I wear for my yardwork. It is my beater hat. It's a bit stiff, but that serves to protect my head from branches and sledgehammer debris (I've been doing a LOT of work, heh). The brim is wide and shades out the sun entirely.

However, if you're looking for a hat to wear to the games, etc., and not doing something active, the Cattleman may be a bit much. My all-purpose hat is the Akubra Traveller, made from Akubra's pliofelt. It's genuine fur felt but it's also crushable. The brim is wide enough to shade out the sun but thin enough to not look like I lost my horse. I highly recommend it. I wear mine all the time.

Note that the Akubra Traveller's sweatband is elastic and there is no liner, so if you're a heavy sweater, you may discolor the felt after repeated wearings during hot days.

wenestvedt

New in Town
Thanks for the quick replies already!

Prairie Shade said:
Also, hard to go wrong with Aarons Hats. Kind of in your neck of the woods to boot.
Shade, North Conway is nearly the same driving distance as New York City -- and if I'm going to make a road trip for a hat, I won't be driving north! :7) But thanks for pointing Aarons Hats out to me, as we have vacationed up there before at StoryLand, and may yet again -- in which case I will be stopping in at Aarons!

Dumbjaw said:
However, if you're looking for a hat to wear to the games, etc., and not doing something active, the Cattleman may be a bit much.
A bit much how? Too cowboy? I don't mind a little western, just not those over-the-top brims that curl up so far they look scorched. The Akubra Traveller is a little too. straight for my tastes. (A bit heavy on the Myles Standish axis, I think.)

Dumbjaw said:
...if you're a heavy sweater, you may discolor the felt after repeated wearings during hot days.
I meant to ask about that: on a felt hat, if I sweat a lot in it, will I get salt marks (like on my cotton & wool fitted baseball hats) or dark stains, or...? And can they be removed?

Thanks again, all.

- Will
P.S. Hi, Mark! You were right about this place, they really do seem like Good People. :7)

MattJH

One Too Many
wenestvedt said:
A bit much how? Too cowboy?

It's just a big ol' hat! If you don't mind, that's fine -- I don't wear mine outside of my yard, though. Too much.

wenestvedt said:
I meant to ask about that: on a felt hat, if I sweat a lot in it, will I get salt marks (like on my cotton & wool fitted baseball hats) or dark stains, or...?

From my experience:

If you have a leather sweatband and the inside of the crown is lined, you generally won't get any sweatmarks on the external felt at all. Leather doesn't really absorb sweat and the liner will block it, so that when you remove the hat you actually can see the condensation on the liner that would've otherwise been on the felt.

If you have no liner or an elastic sweatband, it's easy for the sweat to eventually bleed out into the externally viewable felt.

Davidson

One of the Regulars
wenestvedt said:
I want a hat to wear outside on walks and in the yard and while watching the kids' games, etc., to keep the sun from burning my scalp to an ash.

Sounds like a 2 1/2" or bigger brim, casual style, for a mix of outdoor use.

wenestvedt said:
1. Are there any store in the Providence, RI, area where I could get my head measured by someone competent, and possibly try on a few hats to see whether I like them?

You can competently measure your own head (at least for an off the shelf hat - custom is another matter). Just use an inexpensive cloth tape measure from a fabric store, or even wrap a piece of string around your head and measure that with a yardstick. Measure from a little above the eyebrows and a little above the ears to the back. Do it a few times and average. Look up your hat size at http://www.hatlife.com/headsize.php If in between sizes, go up instead of down, hats tend to shrink a little over time, not stretch.

wenestvedt said:
2. I have kind of a big head -- a lot of forehead mostly -- and I'm curious about what hat styles in general best suit different face types. Are there rules of thumb for this? Can I, for example, post a picture somewhere and get suggestions from people with more experience? (I know a lot of it is personal preference, but I would hate to make a imstake that I come to regret on Day 91 of the return period!)

Red Beard gave a very good answer. Check out Miller's guide - but go with what you like. You will be encouraged to post your pictures here. Mainly you will hear "Looks great!", with a few gentle tips mixed in. And browse the offerings of the vendors of this forum, they even have "sun protection" categories.

wenestvedt

New in Town
Joel Tunnah said:
That whole O'Reilly part sounds like it was lifted from somewhere else.
Oh, I wasn't representing it as my own, I read it here: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2003/04/24/Hats

To be fair, he didn't say that his doctor isn't a plagairist...
- Will
P.S. I just went to a vintage clothing store here in Providence, and they told me that they have people in all the time looking for felt hats -- and never any in stock!

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Sorry, I'm always in lit crit/editing mode. Thanks for the link.

Don't have any fear about ordering an Akubra sight unseen. They are great hats for the money. I wear a modified Stylemaster just about every day.

Joel

wenestvedt

New in Town
Davidson, I tried measuring myself (23-1/2 inches), but I kind of want a professional to tell me whether my head is a goofy shape or if I can order a normal hat.

I know that a baseball hat that feels straight usually sits several degrees off center, while an old Banana Republic fedors that I was given close to twenty years ago fits perfectly well, perfectly straight. *shrug* So who knows?

I wonder if a tux place could measure my head, or maybe one of those Men's WearHouse/Sims places?

- Will

Davidson

One of the Regulars
wenestvedt said:
P.S. I just went to a vintage clothing store here in Providence, and they told me that they have people in all the time looking for felt hats -- and never any in stock!

I just checked Burlington Coat Factory website. They have 6 stores ("warehouses") within 20 mi of Providence, RI. They often have a variety of styles to try on, although the selection varies a lot. They are rarely quality hats, but at least you can see what styles you like. And they are cheap, if you decide to buy a few.

You could also check out Tilley's selection. While not stylish, the later models are getting better, and they are well made and would function well for what you have said you want.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
wenestvedt said:
Oh, I wasn't representing it as my own, I read it here: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2003/04/24/Hats

To be fair, he didn't say that his doctor isn't a plagairist...
- Will

Which store, Rocket to Mars? It's my fave in Prov. You might take a jaunt up to Bobby from Boston's, and while you're in Boston check out Cafe Society. There are usualyl hats there. Guess you could call first.

wenestvedt

New in Town
Miss Bella, I went to Worn Again (110 Union Street) since I work a few blocks from there. Where's Rocket To Mars? Wait.... *clickety-click* Heck, that's not much farther away. Perhaps I can visit them this week.

Getting up to Boston is a bit of a haul for me: what with three kids and a house on the market, my weekends are a little...full. But perhaps I can pretend I'm taking my oldest on a day trip to a museum or something. :7)

- Will

Mister_Ed

New in Town
Welcome aboard, Will. I lurk here quite often myself but don't post much. You'll find this place to be a font of knowledge on all things hat.

For yard-working, dog-walking, kids-game-watching and any other outdoorsy-sun-blocking purposes, have you considered a Tilley hat or something similar? I have a Tilley T3 that I've subjected to every imagineable form of abuse in the Georgia heat for the last 4 years and it doesn't look appreciably different from the day I bought it. Certainly doesn't make the style statement of a nice felt hat (I love the look of a lot of the Akubras too), but IMHO a lot more comfortable when you're out knocking around in the summer heat. An Akubra would probably be nice for the fall, though, especially up your way.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Will and welcome to The Lounge!! It's nice to see another person from Lil' Rhody joining the ranks here:)(I live in Boston now but grew up in Cranston/East Side Providence)
Anyway, I too would like to recommend Aaron's in North Conway. He has an incredible shop and great customer service. I get up there as often as possible, I used to drive up there a couple times a month, but now it's only about 5 or 6 times a year. It really is a lovely drive and a great town to visit, that is very kid and pet friendly. So, you could turn your hat adventure into a family weekend getaway. If you would be interested I would be more than happy to recommend reasonable places to stay.

Sorry I can't recommend any shops in RI for hats. But, it might do you some good to look in the Boston area. When my roommate, Hemingway Jones, gets home I will ask him to check out this thread. He might know of a place for you around here to get your head measures. Your idea of going to a tux shoppe to get measured isn't a bad one. Also a tack shoppe, like Allies, might be able to do it for you since they sell riding bonnets and a few other types of hats.

Well, welcome to The Lounge:D Check out the events section. We are having a gathering in Boston on June 23rd. It was started out as just a small gathering but is turning into quite the Lounger gathering. It will be a fun time, and you could get some face to face advice on hats and other vintage attire.

Cheers,
Daisy

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Check out the phone book for Western Wear, if they have Cowboy hats they might have some Akubras. I got my 2 Snowy River at "The Rhine Stone Cowboy"

wenestvedt

New in Town
cooncatbob said:
Check out the phone book for Western Wear, if they have Cowboy hats they might have some Akubras. I got my 2 Snowy River at "The Rhine Stone Cowboy"
Actually, I called the Snake Hill Trading Post this afternoon and will try to sneak over there Saturday. :7)

- Will

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
As far as
i know there are no hats stores in Rhode Island for years. There was a place called Potters in Newport that I visited a while ago that had a lot of vintage hat boxes on the wall . Unfortunately , they were all empty. Go to Aarons if you can. He's your best chance at getting a proper fit.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld